Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
snoopy two
Mouseketeer

CBJ....Holiday Version

Does anyone else remember the holiday version of Country Bear Jamboree? Why don't they do that anymore? It doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to change. I miss a few of those holiday special attractions. Especially Epcot's Lights of Winter.
snoopy two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy two
Does anyone else remember the holiday version of Country Bear Jamboree? Why don't they do that anymore? It doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to change. I miss a few of those holiday special attractions. Especially Epcot's Lights of Winter.
Fairly safe to assume the answer is money.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Dan Murphy
We are family.

When things are eliminated, it is usually about the money and the bottom line. It is sad to see so many things gone.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
snoopy two
Mouseketeer

Sure. Money is often the issue. But, how much more could this possibly be. I certainly don't know the specifics on how this works, but it looks like a costume change and a soundtrack/computer program change. How expensive could that be? They should already have all of that. Makes me think it is something other than money.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
mesaboy2

Quote:
Sure. Money is often the issue. But, how much more could this possibly be. I certainly don't know the specifics on how this works, but it looks like a costume change and a soundtrack/computer program change. How expensive could that be? They should already have all of that. Makes me think it is something other than money.
Okay, then I would say that CBJ vHoliday could not be shown to make Disney more money than it cost them. The bean counter credo.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
snoopy two
Mouseketeer

You are probably right. I am sure they get the holiday crowds, regardless of their holiday special attractions, or lack there of. I guess I just miss all of the old holiday events. We still go and enjoy what is there, but I can't help but think about what used to be....
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
mesaboy2

Quote:
You are probably right. I am sure they get the holiday crowds, regardless of their holiday special attractions, or lack there of. I guess I just miss all of the old holiday events. We still go and enjoy what is there, but I can't help but think about what used to be....
I'm with you there!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

One factor is the "change-over" time.

They would have to close the attraction for X amount of days to install the Holiday version (costumes and such) in the fall, then re-close it again in January to re-fit to the normal version.

They have been less willing to do that kind of thing at WDW attractions than at Disneyland, due to the nature of the heavy mix of first-time/only-time guests to WDW and local/frequently-returning guests at DLR.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

The company response on the Lights of Winter was that the technology was absolete..I miss the Lights too..It made Epcot so magical
Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
disneyphilip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
One factor is the "change-over" time.

They would have to close the attraction for X amount of days to install the Holiday version (costumes and such) in the fall, then re-close it again in January to re-fit to the normal version.
To quote a paragraph from the New York Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/20/ar...y-world.html):

There are new costumes, props, lighting, stage curtains and sound systems; modernized backstage controls give Disney the ability to add seasonal changes easily. Fresh animatronics give the bears “an increased sense of aliveness,” Mr. Vaughn said.

So, following the recent rehab and the aforementioned technology upgrades, perhaps they'll now be able to swap out the shows (even if the seasonal shows end up getting shortened like the original did) with little or no downtime at all (maybe they'll even be able to change out the shows literally overnight-go in after park closing, change the costumes, change the backdrops, change the programming in the figures, put the decor up and BAM!-come park opening the next day, there's your new show).

Let's hope they do this after the new Fantasyland is completed.

Please join the "Bring Back the Country Bear Christmas Show" group on Facebook today!

We don't need anymore "Blue Christmases" without it...

Last edited by disneyphilip; 11-09-2012 at 02:07 PM.
disneyphilip is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: