Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Canon lenses

A few months back I got a Canon EOS 60D with an 18-200mm lens, and I'm looking to purchase a second lens now that I have the money. I'm a film student, and I've used the 50mm prime lens they have at school and I really liked it, but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Any recommendations for a solid second lens? The photography I do is mostly nature and architecture, sometimes portraits for fun, and I need something that I can use frequently for both film and photography. I also want to take some great photos the next time I'm at WDW. Thoughts? There are just so many options!

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip
rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

It really depends on what you want to shoot and your personal style. Different lenses meet different needs. The 50mm f/1.8 is certainly one of the best bang for your buck lenses Canon makes. I have it and love it. It's hard to go wrong with it because of the price. Samyang also makes a fisheye and an 85mm prime that are outstanding, especially for the price. People pass them over because they're all manual, but that becomes a non-issue when you start shooting a lot of video.

The STM lenses are great for filmmakers and I'm sure someone will suggest them, but you won't see any of the benefits of having them with the 60D because it doesn't have the movie servo focus mode. You'd need the T4i for that.

Think about the aperture range you want, do you really need a fast lens or will something slower meet your needs. And take a look at the EXIF data in your image library and see what focal lengths you tend to favor. It will give you a good jumping off point. Also, as a filmmaker the number of aperture blades may be more of a consideration than it might be for those of us who mainly shoot stills. The pentagonal highlights with the lower end 5 bladed apertures drive some filmmakers I know up the wall.

And one last thought... KEH.com is a great place for used lenses. You can fill up your bag really quickly with older lenses that are cheaper to pick up used. But it won't save you a lot on newer entry level lenses.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaariel View Post
A few months back I got a Canon EOS 60D with an 18-200mm lens, and I'm looking to purchase a second lens now that I have the money. I'm a film student, and I've used the 50mm prime lens they have at school and I really liked it, but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Any recommendations for a solid second lens? The photography I do is mostly nature and architecture, sometimes portraits for fun, and I need something that I can use frequently for both film and photography. I also want to take some great photos the next time I'm at WDW. Thoughts? There are just so many options!
The 17-50/55 2.8 and 15-85mm lens are sharper with larger apertures than the 18-200, Wide angle lens like the 10-20mm are good for building exteriors while telephotos are better for wildlife (55-250IS).
if you like 50mm you can't go wrong with the 50mm 1.8 - around $65 used at
http://photography-on-the.net/forum
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

What I am about to say, I've said many times. Lenses (and equipment) are problem solvers. You should ask yourself,"What am I attempting to shoot, that because of my current equipment, is difficult or I'm unable to do?". Once you answer that question, then the next question will be, "What lens (or piece of equipment) will allow me to accomplish my goal?". By answering those two questions, you will then focus on the "need". Trust me when I say, that early in my DSLR ownership, I wish I had asked/answered those questions. I could have saved a lot of money and angst if I had. For me, it always a balance of wants and needs. Here is an example, recently I have been scouring the used market for another Pentax K5 with a low shutter count as a back-up/second camera (When I'm shooting sports I always carry two cameras). When the DW learned of my quest, she looked me in the eye and asked,"How many DSLR's do you have?". Answer: Three. "Then why do you need a fourth?" Answer: I don't need it, but I sure do want it so I'm carrying equipment that has the same capabilities and controls. That way I don't have to think about which camera I have in my hands. Bottomline: I haven't completely stopped looking, but I've scaled back my search. If something falls in my lap then so be it. I'm just not going to force the issue. Again, my recommendation is to think, problem solving. Good luck with your quest.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for all of your advice! I have a lot to consider but I'm leaning towards the 50mm; it's really what I need and the price can't be beat. I think I was just overwhelmed by all the options. Thanks again!

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
What I am about to say, I've said many times. Lenses (and equipment) are problem solvers. You should ask yourself,"What am I attempting to shoot, that because of my current equipment, is difficult or I'm unable to do?". Once you answer that question, then the next question will be, "What lens (or piece of equipment) will allow me to accomplish my goal?". By answering those two questions, you will then focus on the "need". Trust me when I say, that early in my DSLR ownership, I wish I had asked/answered those questions. I could have saved a lot of money and angst if I had. For me, it always a balance of wants and needs. .
Some of the best advice I've seen.

havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaariel View Post
Thanks so much for all of your advice! I have a lot to consider but I'm leaning towards the 50mm; it's really what I need and the price can't be beat. I think I was just overwhelmed by all the options. Thanks again!
It's easy to look at all that's out there and feel completely lost. I've had the same basic lens wish list for a couple years that I keep chipping away at but every time I go to purchase one of them I'm still dithering back and forth to make sure it's really the lens I want.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Thanks again everyone! I ended up getting the 50 mm. I have experience with it, it's a great value lens, it gives me some really nice shallow depth of field for portraits, and from what I've read in reviews, it'll be better in low light than my current lens. So I definitely got the lens I was after. Thanks all!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: