Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
maxmouse
A Disneyland Kid who grew into a Disneyworld fan.

Magic beer mug question.

We are sailing on the Magic out of Galveston and I'm wondering if getting the beer mug is worth it. Can you tell me what beer they have on tap? Are there enough places that it is woth having it? How does the token work? If there is any other information you can think of, Thank you.

ME And DW
Disneyland since 1968 too many times to count
1994 Disneymoon Yacht Club / Grand Floridian
1997 Shades Of Green
2008 40th Birthday's Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder
2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 Disney Magic
maxmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
kimwhitt93
Mouseketeer

Haven't heard of the Magic beer mug. Curious to know what it is.
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

My hubby bought it but honestly didn't use it enough for it to be a savings. The Mug I think was about $15 or $16. He didn't actually get the mug right away, they gave him a "token" so that we could just pick up our clean mug at the end of the trip and not carry it around with us. He drank mostly Bud Light and it was $4.50 I think, to fill the mug. For some reason we though the beer was discounted but you didn't get a discounted price per say, you got the larger beer for the price of the smaller one.

I think it could be a money savings if you drank enough but we also got a wine package so he wasn't drinking it with dinner and with a 16 month old we didn't get a lot of down time.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwhitt93
Haven't heard of the Magic beer mug. Curious to know what it is.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/pl...and-amenities/

Pricing and such for the mug is listed near the wine packages. I can't speak for all of the choices on board each ship, but think 'cheap all American' beer. I think the beer choices shown in the stateroom gift packages gives you a good idea of what they offer. I've heard people saying they can sometimes find Sam Adams (I assume Boston Lager).

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksMomma
He drank mostly Bud Light and it was $4.50 I think, to fill the mug. For some reason we though the beer was discounted but you didn't get a discounted price per say, you got the larger beer for the price of the smaller one.

I think it could be a money savings if you drank enough but we also got a wine package so he wasn't drinking it with dinner and with a 16 month old we didn't get a lot of down time.
$4.50 for a 22oz refill isn't bad at all. This is a good deal. Especially if you use the mug cruise to cruise.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmouse View Post
We are sailing on the Magic out of Galveston and I'm wondering if getting the beer mug is worth it. Can you tell me what beer they have on tap? Are there enough places that it is woth having it? How does the token work? If there is any other information you can think of, Thank you.
Worth it compared to what? For $14.99 you are basically buying the 22oz DCL glass beer mug, which is actually a pretty nice mug, and the ability to have it filled at the 16oz beer prices for the duration of your cruise. If you weren't planning on bringing your own beer on board, it therefore represents about a 20% savings on the ship prices, which is still pretty steep, as I'm sure you know.

Draft beer selections will vary somewhat from one bar to another on the same ship, and will vary slightly over time as some beers fall in and out of favor with DCL. In addition, you will not see a very extensive selection, perhaps 3 or 4 draft beers available at any particular bar. For instance by the pools you will tend to see lighter lagers: Budweiser, Bud Light, Shock Top, Michelob Ultra, Michelob Amber Boch, Heinekin. In the nightclubs you will see a more higher quality selection of lagers and ales: Stella, SamAdams Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, maybe a SamAdams Seasonal, Guiness. I am not saying all these will be available on your cruise, only that they represent the kinds of beers that might be available based on what we've seen before. If you're a really picky beer snob, you're probably going to be a little disappointed with the selection. Personally I'd love to see some better quality choices, but you have to remember DCL is trying to please the 'average' customer and doesn't have a lot of extra space to provide for dozens of alternatives.

The 'token' is essentially a small paper card that takes the place of the mug, if you don't want to carry it around with you. So you have a beer in your DCL mug, when you're finished you can bring the empty mug back to any bar and swap it for a beer card, which you can then turn back in for a new clean mug at any bar next time you want to have another beer. When you leave to go home, you can either pack a clean mug to bring home as a souvenir, or keep the card to bring back with you next time and do it all over again. As stated before, the mug is actually pretty nice, very heavy glass, not a cheap crappy souvenir at all, so I think most people bring them home. At least that's what we do.

Hoping that helps. Have a great time!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
maxmouse
A Disneyland Kid who grew into a Disneyworld fan.

Thanks for all the info.

ME And DW
Disneyland since 1968 too many times to count
1994 Disneymoon Yacht Club / Grand Floridian
1997 Shades Of Green
2008 40th Birthday's Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder
2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 Disney Magic
maxmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
wickedpixie13
Mouseketeer

Has anyone ever brought the mug home then brought the mug back on their next cruise? I have heard people mention bringing the token back, but what if you wanted to use the mug in between trips and then bring it back on the cruise. Would that be allowed? thanks!

Edited to add: Do you have to buy the mug beforehand or can you do it on the cruise?

Previous DCL cruises
Wonder: Alaska May 2011
Magic: Galveston November 2012

RunDisney:
Tinkerbell Half Marathon 2014
wickedpixie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpixie13
Has anyone ever brought the mug home then brought the mug back on their next cruise? I have heard people mention bringing the token back, but what if you wanted to use the mug in between trips and then bring it back on the cruise. Would that be allowed? thanks!

Edited to add: Do you have to buy the mug beforehand or can you do it on the cruise?
DH just brought his mug back onboard. I believe you can buy beforehand and they have it in your room waiting. We bought ours onboard.
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpixie13 View Post

You can take it home and bring it back. That is what my DH did. And yes, you can buy it on-board, no need to pre-order.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
skypixy
Mouseketeer

Texas Beer

I believe that another Diser posted in her TR that Shiner Bock was readily available on the Magic out of Galveston because there are some guidelines regarding serving "Texas beer" on the ship until you are in open seas.
She also mentioned Amber Bock, Longboard & Bud Light. Stella available in Sessions, which is not open until the evening.

Me DH DS14 DS10

Skypixy
skypixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
Worth it compared to what? For $14.99 you are basically buying the 22oz DCL glass beer mug, which is actually a pretty nice mug, and the ability to have it filled at the 16oz beer prices for the duration of your cruise. If you weren't planning on bringing your own beer on board, it therefore represents about a 20% savings on the ship prices, which is still pretty steep, as I'm sure you know.

Draft beer selections will vary somewhat from one bar to another on the same ship, and will vary slightly over time as some beers fall in and out of favor with DCL. In addition, you will not see a very extensive selection, perhaps 3 or 4 draft beers available at any particular bar. For instance by the pools you will tend to see lighter lagers: Budweiser, Bud Light, Shock Top, Michelob Ultra, Michelob Amber Boch, Heinekin. In the nightclubs you will see a more higher quality selection of lagers and ales: Stella, SamAdams Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, maybe a SamAdams Seasonal, Guiness. I am not saying all these will be available on your cruise, only that they represent the kinds of beers that might be available based on what we've seen before. If you're a really picky beer snob, you're probably going to be a little disappointed with the selection. Personally I'd love to see some better quality choices, but you have to remember DCL is trying to please the 'average' customer and doesn't have a lot of extra space to provide for dozens of alternatives.

The 'token' is essentially a small paper card that takes the place of the mug, if you don't want to carry it around with you. So you have a beer in your DCL mug, when you're finished you can bring the empty mug back to any bar and swap it for a beer card, which you can then turn back in for a new clean mug at any bar next time you want to have another beer. When you leave to go home, you can either pack a clean mug to bring home as a souvenir, or keep the card to bring back with you next time and do it all over again. As stated before, the mug is actually pretty nice, very heavy glass, not a cheap crappy souvenir at all, so I think most people bring them home. At least that's what we do.

Hoping that helps. Have a great time!
Was there Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on the Magic or Wonder? We are on the Wonder in December, and that would make DH's cruise!

If anyone has info on current beers on tap on the Wonder (pool, nightclubs, etc.), it would be very much appreciated!
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: