Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Orr Princess
Earning My Ears

POR or BC - Space issues and BUSing

Hi! Trying to decide between POR or BC for my upcoming trip with DH and DD's 14,11,8. I can get POR for $2700 with tickets and Regular Dining or BC for $3800 with tickets and QSD. My main concern is of course I could save $1000 by staying at POR but I worry about the space in the rooms with all of us... would all of our stuff fit and getting up and ready to go in the morning? and also would being able to walk to EPCOT and DHS be a great benefit versus always taking a bus everywhere!! ANY thoughts on this dilemma would be much appreciated. Also, I know POR is Reg Dining and BC is QSD but that doesn't too much matter! HELP.... just can't decide!
Orr Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Not sure I'll be much help...I've stayed at both. Love POR...and really like BC. You will have a bit more room at BC. And the ability to walk to both Epcot and DHS is great.
But, $1100 is a fair amount of money. I think there's a lot of difference in the dining. You have a food court at POR, which comes in handy for CS meals. With the regular dining, you get a table service meal each day...a nice thing to do, since you get to relax and enjoy some down time.

I like them both. I'm not sure I would spend $1100 more in order to get a slightly larger room. At POR-AB you get the pull down murphy bed, which is better/larger than the trundle used to be, as well as two queen beds. At BC, you get two queen beds and a twin day bed, not a huge difference.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Princess View Post
Hi! Trying to decide between POR or BC for my upcoming trip with DH and DD's 14,11,8. I can get POR for $2700 with tickets and Regular Dining or BC for $3800 with tickets and QSD. My main concern is of course I could save $1000 by staying at POR but I worry about the space in the rooms with all of us... would all of our stuff fit and getting up and ready to go in the morning? and also would being able to walk to EPCOT and DHS be a great benefit versus always taking a bus everywhere!! ANY thoughts on this dilemma would be much appreciated. Also, I know POR is Reg Dining and BC is QSD but that doesn't too much matter! HELP.... just can't decide!
Your kids are a great age for BC. Epcot is a lot of fun at night. The crowds are usually gone from Future World by evening, so rides tend to have shorter wait times. Epcot has a lot of great QS options. We usually ate QS when we traveled with our kids. My son loved going over to the ESPN club, too.

You can get to and from the MK by walking through Epcot and taking the monorail if you like to walk. We used to take the bus in the morning to MK and then the monorail to Epcot to go back to the BC, stopping at some of our favorite places in Epcot as we walked through. And being about to walk into Epcot to watch Illuminations was a big plus.

Going to and from DHS is easy, too. The kids loved the Rock and Roll Coaster and Tower of Terror. When we would stay until park closing we would often walk back to the BC to avoid the long wait for the boat. It was great.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I love both resorts, but with 3 kids + 2 adults I'd pick BC. SAB is wonderful, walking to 2 parks, and a larger room. More storage space too.

I don't know that I'd get the qsdp, IMO it isn't saving you any money, are you going to get dessert with every meal?
I'd prob just not get a dining plan, and do a combo of CS with some TS sprinkled in.
There are some great TS that really aren't much more then a CS meal, like Sci Fi Dinner. ESP if you look at some of the TS lunch menus. Kona Cafe also has some cheaper options. Lunch or dinner. We had the noodle bowl for dinner, then went downstairs and got a dole whip for dessert! We had a meal at Brown Derby, had the Cobb Salad and grapefruit Cale for dessert.

We have gone without the DDP, and put the cost of DDP on a Disney gift card, and used that to pay for our meals. And always have $ left over.

You know how your family eats, and can do the math. For us it works, because we aren't pop drinkers, and just order ice water, and don't have a dessert after every meal, and my daughter & I will share a dessert after dinner.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

I think 5 people in a POR room, with the ages of your kids would be a tight fit. Not all rooms at BC have a day bed, but they try to give them to families of 5 1st. I would put that 1st on your reservation that you want a full size day bed, then the rest of your requests.

BC is a great location to walk to the IG at EPCOT and take a boat or walk to DS.

If you can swing it, I would book BC over POR.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I've stayed at both resorts, and while I like POR much more than the Beach Club, given the ages of your children, I would go with the Beach Club. The extra room is worth it! Plus they are at a good age to enjoy Storm Along Bay.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Tink415
DIS Veteran

If the dining doesn't too much matter, I would price room only and then decide. Personally, I would pay the extra for BC if we were going to be using the pool, otherwise, probably not. The other thing is, both rooms are going to be cozy for the 5 of you, even if BC has a little more space, and POR likely won't be an option when your youngest gets older, so maybe save now and spend later
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POR in April it is a beautiful resort. But very large ! I prefer a smaller resort we r trying out BC in the fall 2013 I can't wait. We were pretty tight in the room with all of our stuff. I agree with the previous poster about QSP about it not being worth the $$ either go for basic plan of pay OOP

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Have stayed at both. POR os lovely. If the extra $1100 isn't a big issue for you, I'd pick BC.

Location, location, location.......
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Orr Princess
Earning My Ears

THanks for all the GREAT feedback!! I think I am leaning towards the BC... location and more space probably equals a happier family!
Orr Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
portocall
I'm gonna try the water and swat next time

We have a 13, 12, and a 7 year old and stay at POR. POR is a beautiful place that meets our needs very well however we don't spend much time in the room. The extra $1100 odds what gives me pause for booking a resort such as the BC, however if it isn't a big deal to you then by all means book the BC.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: