Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

Am I an awful person?

Here's the deal:

My DH and I want to do a vow renewal on DCL for our 5 year anniversary. Even though it's still a few years away I can't get it out of my mind. We are going to invite family but we don't really want to eat dinner with them every night that week. My in-laws are the kind of people that will find anything to complain about. They don't really like the idea of a Disney Cruise but would come begrudgingly for a vow renewal. I don't want my dining room experience tainted by their constant need to find fault in anything and everything.

Is it wrong and selfish of us to request that we don't sit with them for dinner after they paid so much to come on a cruise for us? How would I even handle that? I can't exactly say "we don't want to sit with you because you're negative, pessimistic jerks" even though that's what it comes down to. I was thinking telling them that who we sit with is just a request and when we aren't with them have a "whoops, oh well" attitude.

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you handle it? Or how would you if you were in this situation?

Belated Honeymoon at Disneyland October 2011
Disney Wonder California Coast Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2012
SamandWill1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
padlock
Mouseketeer

Book Palo every night!
padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
Book Palo every night!
haha that would work. Although I happen to LOVE the Main Dining Rooms.

Disneyland Sept 2012
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Wow! If the in-laws don't like the idea of a Disney cruise and are going to come only "begrudgingly", you won't have a good time at dinner or otherwise.

I would do the DCL vow renewal with those family members who are excited to come. Maybe have a get-together at home for the family members who can't/don't want to do the DCL cruise.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

I think it would be rude to avoid them EVERY night. I think you could get out of it one night by doing a romantic celebratory dinner with your husband in Palo...but other than that, your family (including your grumpy inlaws) are coming on the cruise to celebrate with you.

edited to add: Are you sure you want to celebrate with grumpy people? Why not just do a private vow renewal with the two of you?

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't worry about it if you have years to go before the cruise. After all, you might even have children by then--which would seriously change the dynamics of every meal! Also, your ILs may prefer to have a couple of 'date nights' by themselves while on the cruise.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Since it is a few years off, your relationship with them may change although it isn't likely that their personality will.

Realistically, one Palo and one Remy on your own is about all you can fairly get without being somewhat rude. It sounds like a horrible cruise--going with grumpy people that you don't really like and feeling like you need to spend the cruise avoiding them....this while they are paying their own expenses to be with you. IF you opt to invite them, you need to respect the effort they are making on your behalf.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

If we are doing the vow renewal they will show up. When we got married we didn't have anyone there so it's kind of a big deal. My only concern is dinner. We can take separate flights, the ship is big enough that we wouldn't see them during the day much unless we planned it. Especially because we are the activity going type and they aren't.

It's not like I don't want to be around them at all, I do want some quality family time. And they are fine in small doses. I just don't want to hear about how stupid they think AP is when I'm trying to enjoy the magic. Or how they couldn't get 4 lounge chairs together by Quiet Cove so it threw off their plans for the whole day, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT at dinner. We plan on doing a family Palo dinner and will probably end up doing several lunches and excursions together.

Disneyland Sept 2012
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
riley2008
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandWill1921 View Post
Here's the deal:

My DH and I want to do a vow renewal on DCL for our 5 year anniversary. Even though it's still a few years away I can't get it out of my mind. We are going to invite family but we don't really want to eat dinner with them every night that week. My in-laws are the kind of people that will find anything to complain about. They don't really like the idea of a Disney Cruise but would come begrudgingly for a vow renewal. I don't want my dining room experience tainted by their constant need to find fault in anything and everything.

Is it wrong and selfish of us to request that we don't sit with them for dinner after they paid so much to come on a cruise for us? How would I even handle that? I can't exactly say "we don't want to sit with you because you're negative, pessimistic jerks" even though that's what it comes down to. I was thinking telling them that who we sit with is just a request and when we aren't with them have a "whoops, oh well" attitude.

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you handle it? Or how would you if you were in this situation?
IMHO - For a five year renewal of vows, just schedule it for the two of you, especially if you think your guests would only be there begrudgingly. Although five years may be a long time to be married and worth honoring for some; may not be for others.

Also, gotta say, I've never been invited, nor heard of anyone doing a 5 year vow renewal (with guests invited). Maybe just different parts of the country...

ETA: Just read your previous post. Can you do a vow renewal and then take a second honeymoon without the inlaws?

First trip to WDW - August '08 ASM family suite
Wilderness Lodge July '09
(wondering when we'll get to go again!)
DCL, Magic from Galveston 9/2012
riley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
TheHippie524
I love the Magic & Wonder of Dreaming up another Fantasy.

Honestly, just don't link the reservations nnd then request a 2 top table.
Or just NOT link their reservation with everyone else in the party, and claim something might have happened, and secretly request a 2 top for them. =)

Always feign ignorance though. Lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley2008 View Post
IMHO - For a five year renewal of vows, just schedule it for the two of you, especially if you think your guests would only be there begrudgingly. Although five years may be a long time to be married and worth honoring for some; may not be for others.

Also, gotta say, I've never been invited, nor heard of anyone doing a 5 year vow renewal (with guests invited). Maybe just different parts of the country...
The only reason we are doing it so soon is that our wedding was private, no one was invited, for these exact reasons. They have been wondering if we would do a vow renewal, they think it would be fun if we did a destination VR. But every suggestion we have made they hate but then have no ideas or input of their own. So we have decided to do what we want - DCL. If they don't show up that's okay with us, but we can't just not invite them. They have the money, it would be no hardship for them what so ever. So the odds of them not showing up to their son's "wedding" that they ARE invited to, is highly unlikely even if they don't care for the destination.

Disneyland Sept 2012
Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley2008 View Post
Can you do a vow renewal and then take a second honeymoon without the inlaws?
We talked about that, but DH and I really have our hearts set on a DCL ceremony. We have however decided we would do the VR cruise with them and save up the money to do a B2B and stay onboard another week after they get off as kind of a second honeymoon.

Disneyland Sept 2012
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

I suppose I could also be "seasick" on the nights I just can't take anymore and I just don't want to deal with it and hit cabanas or room service for dinner. I bet I could even get a MDR meal delivered to my room.

Disneyland Sept 2012
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
sambycat
DIS Veteran

While I wouldn't do any kind of "group" vacation, then actively and overtly avoid the people in the group, I certainly would plan alone time (could be other dining experiences). Typically the only time we were entirely with family was at dinner? So I would plan all my other activities "on our own" and suck it up at dinner- minus a trip for two to remy and palo along the way! Or else I wouldn't invite them. Just my 0.02! Good luck!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandWill1921 View Post
Here's the deal:

How about doing the vow renewal landside (at WDW, or DL, whereever you're cruising from), and then have everyone send you off on your cruise? That way they're partaking in your happiness, but you get the privacy you want.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: