Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
jennab05
Mouseketeer

Question Taxis to Chankanaab National Park Cozumel

My family and I are doing the Dolphin Discovery excursion in Cozumel and was just wondering how safe the taxis are. It says we need to take a taxi to Chankanaab National Park and back to the cruise ship but I've heard horror stories from friends about taxi services in Mexico. Since it's a Disney run excursion does Disney recommend the taxis or do you find them on your own? Does anyone have any recommendations of safe taxis? Thanks!
jennab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you book the excursion thru DCL, the tour operator provides the transportation. There will be a DCL 'Meeting place" on your tickets (usually one of the lounges on the ship) and you'll go as a group to the transportation.

If you are going to Chank on your own, there will be cabs at the terminal and at the park. The fares are posted on a signboard at the pier and are per cab, not per person. I won't say our driver was anything to write home about, but it was as safe as any vehicle there.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
cathie13
Earning My Ears

How long is the cab ride to the park?
cathie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
sinnika
DIS Veteran

We were just there last week. The cab fare was $10 to get there. Took about 15 min. Our driver wasn't overly friendly but my DH started speaking Spanish and he warmed up a bit. We did not do a DCL excursion. We showed up, and inquired about swimming with Manatees. For $59 each, we got to spend a full 30 minutes in the pool feeding and playing with a group of 3 manatees with 8 people total. We had use of free lockers and showers, and saw a sea lion show, walked thou a large area of Mayan replica ruins, snorkeled for free (we had our own gear and they provided a free vest), and had a nice lunch in their sit down restaurant (extra cost). After we were done, we went to the exit, and there was a line of cabs waiting to return us to the ship.
sinnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Cab fare posted is $10 each way (+ tip) The trip was about 15 minutes. Our driver went thru some pretty impoverished areas--I assumed this was the only way to get there, but could be wrong.

The fare is "per cab" not "per person." Cab fares to most of the "main" places in Cozumel are posted on the board at the pier, so no misunderstanding or negotiation.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
fzappa51
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up

We took a cab and it was $10.00 both ways for our party of 4. There were plenty of cabs when we departed the park back to the port. We had a great time and saved a few dollars by downloading a discount coupon from the park website.
fzappa51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
jennab05
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone!
jennab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
nannylori
Mouseketeer

We've been to Cozumel 4 times,three with DCL. Each time we've done something different. We've found Cozumel to be a place where we've never met an unfriendly person or felt taken advantage of. Like any place,you need to be aware of your surroundings. The Park is the best place to go for a first time visit. It's as if everything that Cozumel is all about is there and it is a trip you can do on your own. The cabs are right there,the fare is predetermined and posted. Just make sure you allow enough time to get back to the ship in time!!!!!! You will have tons of fun!!!!
nannylori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
HoustonMom1
Earning My Ears

We will be 5 people. Are there cabs that take 5?
HoustonMom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Stasia5
Earning My Ears

Bumping this up. I too need to know if cabs will transport 5. We can split up our group, but would like to know in advance.
Stasia5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia5 View Post
Bumping this up. I too need to know if cabs will transport 5. We can split up our group, but would like to know in advance.
We have had mini-van cabs in Cozumel, transported 8 in one.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
Stasia5
Earning My Ears

Do you remember the cost?
Stasia5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
susiee
Earning My Ears

The cost for the minivan was supposed to be $22. For 4 people in a regular taxi it was posted as $10. Since we had 8, we were just going to take 2 cars but then they said all 8 people for $20. But on the way back, the driver stuck with the $22 price.
susiee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: