DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

Tables in Wonderland... am I missing something?

I see that the card gets you 20% off your meals at participating resaurants. Thats cool but then it adds 18% on your food bill. So really you are saving 2%? Am I missing something? I do not see this as a deal. That 2% will not cover the price I paid for the TIW Card....
TheDalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
syng0
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDalys
I see that the card gets you 20% off your meals at participating resaurants. Thats cool but then it adds 18% on your food bill. So really you are saving 2%? Am I missing something? I do not see this as a deal. That 2% will not cover the price I paid for the TIW Card....
Assuming you normally tip the recommended amount of 18% on top of the total for your meal, you save on the tips plus another 2%.
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

we always tip well so we love having the added 18% on the ticket and then we also save on alcohol. I believe if you spend $375 the card pays for itself. We can do that in one sitting in Disney if there are 4 of us (all adults). Last week we dropped that several times...or at least close to it...we ate a Cali Grill, Derby, Bluezoo and Shula's.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDalys View Post
IMO TIW is another Disney idea that has lowered the dining experience. If the server knows that they are guaranteed the 18% tip, there isn't any incentive to earn the tip. A tip is a reward for providing excellent service, not a automatic payment that allows companies to pay the minimum wage.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
londonderrydisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
IMO TIW is another Disney idea that has lowered the dining experience. If the server knows that they are guaranteed the 18% tip, there isn't any incentive to earn the tip. A tip is a reward for providing excellent service, not a automatic payment that allows companies to pay the minimum wage.

Bill
Do you have the tell them that you have the card before you order? I have the same concerns as you about servers not treating you the same if they know they're guaranteed a nice tip.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I've never had poor service using the TiW and I always tell them before I order that I have it. Usually when they ask if I'm on the DDP, I tell them.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

Bill
You know I thought the same thing would happen before my August/September trip but I encounted just the oposite.
The servers seemed thrilled to know that we had the card and I thought maybe they were happy that they knew they would get at least an 18% tip.
Either way, it paid for itself and will be going back in March and using it again.
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
I've never had poor service using the TiW and I always tell them before I order that I have it. Usually when they ask if I'm on the DDP, I tell them.
Ditto.
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonderrydisneyfan View Post
Do you have the tell them that you have the card before you order? I have the same concerns as you about servers not treating you the same if they know they're guaranteed a nice tip.
No, you don't.

The first times we used ours, I would say "just Tables in Wonderland", but after a bit I realized they did NOT mean that, when they asked if we were on a dining plan. But even when I was telling them up front, at no time did I get bad service that I recall.

Dh generally will tip 20%. TIW automatically adds 18%. So yeah, we're saving money if he doesn't add a bit on.

OP, in case you don't know, it does NOT add that 18% to the Quick Service places that are covered with the TIW card. So if you're thinking it does, rest assured!

And if you are having abysmal service and don't want the tip to be that high, please oh please, speak to a manager *right then*. Not only will you be allowed to change the tip, but you might be able to nip that bad service in the bud!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Lizard Valley
Mouseketeer

The way I see it, is you'd be tipping at least 15-20% anyway. At least you should, unless the service was terrible. So once you factor that in, you really are saving the full 20%.
Lizard Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard Valley View Post
The way I see it, is you'd be tipping at least 15-20% anyway. At least you should, unless the service was terrible. So once you factor that in, you really are saving the full 20%.
Exactly,and also, as opposed to AP restaurant discounts and DVC restaurant discounts, the 20% TIW discount is the only one that applies to alcohol! We aren't alcoholics but for 6 people, a before dinner drink and a glass of wine with dinner can be steep at Disney and 20% helps!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
This goes for us too!

Bobbi
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Same with us.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Echoing previous posters - I've been using the card and its predecessors for years and have never received bad service as a result of using the discount. I provide the card with my credit card when it comes time to pay, so the server wouldn't know I have it, anyway, until the end of the meal.

As for the discount, I've certainly never had a WDW meal bad enough to not leave a tip, so yes, I'm absolutely receiving the full 20% discount, since I'd tip between 15-20% anyway.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

Thanks, I will just have to factor in how many times we will be eating out. The discounts will have to be enough to cover the cost of the TIW.
TheDalys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: