DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
SSDonut
DIS Veteran

If you do online check-in. . .

. . .and you Really Hate your room assignment can you go to the registration desk and ask to be moved?

We've never done online check-in. I personally don't mind waiting in the check-in line, and we are also not extremely picky, although it seems that where we usually ask to be put must not be super popular (overlooking quiet pool at BCV) because we've gotten that request the last few times without making any stink about it. . .

Just wondering (and still debating about on-line check-in).

Thanks!

[Nov 2001 ASMo, Nov 2004 BCV Studio, Nov 2005 BCV 1 BR,Nov 2006 BCV 2 BR, May 2007 OKW Studio, Nov 2007 ASMo, Poly, AKV Studio, July 2008 BWI (My princesses became Padawans!!) Nov 2008 BCV and AKV, Nov 2009 VWL and AKV, Nov 2011 BLT and BCV, April 2012 HHI, Nov 2012 BCV,
SSDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

The reason that Disney offers online check in is because they want to save money by you accepting your room assignment and not taking the CM's time. If you are particular about your room, I would not do online check in.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

check-in

Doing Online Check-in allows you to pick your possible room. For Example when I was at POP last time I asked for and got Ground Floor in the 70's section just like I requested. If you do not like room given you can always ask for a change. The Main purpose of Online Check-in is to speed up the proscess.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
The reason that Disney offers online check in is because they want to save money by you accepting your room assignment and not taking the CM's time. If you are particular about your room, I would not do online check in.

Bill
The CMs I've encountered haven't gotten that memo. One of the CMs I've encountered while doing online booking actually insisted on changing my room because it wasn't ready yet and he wanted to give us a room that was ready. The CMs at the online checkin areas are, actually, quite often the same CMs that service the normal line, since managers will pull you out of the online checkin line and put you at the next available CM.

That's my experience, at least.

BUT I haven't noticed that the online checkin form *for DVC* allows requests other than "ground floor" and that sort of very basic thing. So if you do have a typical request that you make, it's possible that it isn't for you.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
CRobin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

The CMs I've encountered haven't gotten that memo. One of the CMs I've encountered while doing online booking actually insisted on changing my room because it wasn't ready yet and he wanted to give us a room that was ready. The CMs at the online checkin areas are, actually, quite often the same CMs that service the normal line, since managers will pull you out of the online checkin line and put you at the next available CM.

That's my experience, at least.

BUT I haven't noticed that the online checkin form *for DVC* allows requests other than "ground floor" and that sort of very basic thing. So if you do have a typical request that you make, it's possible that it isn't for you.
I agree. There is nowhere, that I have seen, where you can specify views, rooms, etc. on the online checkin form. Online checkin is there to speed up the check in process, nothing more. IMHO, requests are treated the same way as if you called MS. If you cannot get a request into online checkin, call MS and have your request noted.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Any requests are best served by attaching the request to your reservation through MS, either by phone or better yet by using the contact form on the Member website.

When checking in at the resort, if you used online check in, the CM's know it and have often met the Guest at the front door with their packet and room keys.

They are given your arrival info by the guard at the resort entrance if you are driving or by DME when they scan you voucher.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardLarz View Post
Doing Online Check-in allows you to pick your possible room. For Example when I was at POP last time I asked for and got Ground Floor in the 70's section just like I requested. If you do not like room given you can always ask for a change. The Main purpose of Online Check-in is to speed up the proscess.
You can enter your requests on the online check-in form but it's the same as if you asked for it to be entered when you made the reservation. Online check-in does not give you a priority to get your requests.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
skylynx

Riding for my own brand.

I probably won't be doing online check in again without a followup call to MS. When I did the online check in for our stay at VWL last week, the only special requests options I had were "ground floor" or "near transportation." I left it blank, thinking choosing either of those would ensure we wouldn't get a room on an upper floor, midway down the hall with a nice view of the trees.

Because we had no special requests identified, I guess we should not have been too suprised to get the absolute last room (2562) at the end of the long hallway and directly over the dumpster area (yes, the legendary "dumpster-view room!"). I know someone, actually several someones, have to be assigned this room or those directly above every night (and I'd still rather be in the dumpster room than not at VWL) but I'm a bit suspicious the CM know all too well of the undesirability of these rooms and assign them to people who haven't specifically asked not to have them. So next time, I will call and request we not have the absolute longest possible hike and comparatively ugly overlook. Or just simply put "near transportation" on our online request. I know requests aren't guaranteed, but I'm starting to think if you don't put in a request at all, you are almost guaranteed to get the rooms no one else wants.
WDW 2 many times 2 count since 1973 AKL, WL, Dixie Landings, CB, VB,OKW, GCV, 5 Disney Institute Professional Programs CA/Disneyland GCAL, Treehouse Villas DVC 2007 Disney Wonder 10/02, 3/03, 2/04, 5/06, 5/07, 6/08, 8/10, 2/11Disney Magic W 10/04, 1/07, E 2/06, 11/08, 2/12 Disney Dream 6/11 6/14 Disney Fantasy 2/13 2/14 NCL Alaska 6/09 Trader's Inn Beach Club Ormond Beach FL 2014
skylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylynx View Post
Because we had no special requests identified, I guess we should not have been too suprised to get the absolute last room (2562) at the end of the long hallway and directly over the dumpster area (yes, the legendary "dumpster-view room!"). I know someone, actually several someones, have to be assigned this room or those directly above every night (and I'd still rather be in the dumpster room than not at VWL) but I'm a bit suspicious the CM know all too well of the undesirability of these rooms and assign them to people who haven't specifically asked not to have them.
I can only imagine
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Yes, I have.
Did online check-in, put in a request for SSR CP but that was not granted at the time of original check-in. They gave us the Springs but also a HC room. Went back to front desk, requested our room in CP and non-HC. It was given to us without further issues.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
DisneyHeather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylynx View Post
I probably won't be doing online check in again without a followup call to MS. When I did the online check in for our stay at VWL last week, the only special requests options I had were "ground floor" or "near transportation." I left it blank, thinking choosing either of those would ensure we wouldn't get a room on an upper floor, midway down the hall with a nice view of the trees.

Because we had no special requests identified, I guess we should not have been too suprised to get the absolute last room (2562) at the end of the long hallway and directly over the dumpster area (yes, the legendary "dumpster-view room!"). I know someone, actually several someones, have to be assigned this room or those directly above every night (and I'd still rather be in the dumpster room than not at VWL) but I'm a bit suspicious the CM know all too well of the undesirability of these rooms and assign them to people who haven't specifically asked not to have them. So next time, I will call and request we not have the absolute longest possible hike and comparatively ugly overlook. Or just simply put "near transportation" on our online request. I know requests aren't guaranteed, but I'm starting to think if you don't put in a request at all, you are almost guaranteed to get the rooms no one else wants.
I've never put in a request but have been very lucky so far. I've had theme park view with great WOC view both stays at VGC and my one stay at AKL at Kidani we had 4th floor and close to the elevators which was nice since I've heard stories of the long hallways.

I'm sure my time will come but for now I'll stick with no request as it's worked out so far.

DisneyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
BrerNashville
DIS Veteran

I didn't think they actually gave you your room assignment when you checked in online -- that isn't done until the night before you show up, right? And you can't find out about it before you get there, even if you call ahead on the day you arrive?
BrerNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

I have asked (and gotten) a different room despite checking in on line. As PPs have mentioned, online check-in is there just to shorten the time you have to be at the registration desk so that they can serve more people with fewer CMs. Nothing more.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Donna M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerNashville View Post
I didn't think they actually gave you your room assignment when you checked in online -- that isn't done until the night before you show up, right? And you can't find out about it before you get there, even if you call ahead on the day you arrive?

Correct, you don't know the room number until the room is ready for you to enter.

Be careful when changing rooms though. We put in a request for top floor Congress Park but the room wasn't ready. We agreed to take another room and ended up in a building that was being renovated while we were there. Wasn't as bad as I thought. The room was quiet and renovated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: