Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Oh my....I read an article about how many jobs were going to be terminated right after the election, but this is the first I'd heard an "in person" situation.

I think the issue has to be your financial situation. Will he qualify for unemployment if he can't find another job quickly? What are his prospects and will the new job potentially interfere with the cruise? Would you consider going without him and/or doing a name change and taking another adult if a new job won't allow him to cruise? Did you buy travel insurance and is this a covered reason to cancel? And did it cover your air?

We don't know enough about you (nor should we!) to answer these questions, but they are the issues you need to resolve. Good luck!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

Loss of mployment is a major blow to any family and the decision as to the best way to handle this is really a personal one.

That being said have you thought about moving your dates forward. If you booked your air with DCL you should be good. If not you may need to pay some change fees which may be less than if you cancle.

Sending some Pixie dust that a new job will present itself and all will be good.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
mks001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosthatmouse View Post
Hi all -- My husband just got bad news that is job is closing his branch and they can no longer keep him. They have given him to the end of the year. We have a cruise scheduled for Feb 2013 with our PIF date looming, Nov 19th. I am torn on what to do. Do we cancel and lose the $ we paid in our flights? or do we keep it and risk the guilt of spending money if he is still unemployed at the time. Part of me wants to keep it as something to look forward to and being prepaid I think it would be okay. Just trying to decide what to do. The news came yesterday the day after election day too. go figure.

So sorry, unfortunately just went through the same issue as I lost my job in September and we had a cruise scheduled over Thanksgiving.

We made the decision to cancel the cruise and get back what ever money we could. I knew the whole cruise would be about saving every penny and it still would not take away the underlying job issue or the feeling that we should be saving money, especially in this economy. I also told myself that we will get through this and DCL will still be there when our financial situation works its self out. We will go then.

Not to sound like a fortune cookie, but IMO there is no right answer - your heart will tell you what to do. Good luck!

mks001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

I agree with everyone else in saying that this really comes down to a very personal decision on what your finances currently are.

I know for myself I would most likely cancel due to the feeling of guilt thinking I should rather be stocking the money away rather than spending it on a cruise. But if you feel you have enough monetary resources to make it through this without the money you already spent on the cruise then by all means have fun on the cruise and hopefully it will be a week you can get away and not think about any issues.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
auburntigerfan
Earning My Ears

The exact thing happened to my husband 2 years ago. We had a trip to Disney World and a Cruise planned for Christmas and he was let go. We cancelled the trip but put the money away in our "Vacation Fund" and didn't touch it. It was 2 years later but my husband finally found a full time job in his field. We were so excited that we treated ourselves to a GREAT DISNEY CRUISE as a way to celebrate. It was so hard not to touch the money over those 2 years but so worth it at the end. It also taught our kids great patience. The day my husband got the job we called Disney and went LAST minute and got a great rate on the cruise (because it was not totally booked). We left the NEXT DAY and it made the wait all worth it. I would recommend waiting until your financial future is a little more certain. Best wishes to you - I have walked in your shoes my friend! God Bless!
auburntigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic

Last edited by KaryCam; 11-08-2012 at 05:09 PM.
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
hoosthatmouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkpark View Post
I am so sorry. I agree with others that only you can decide what works for you. We had something similar last year. We had a cruise booked for our 10th anniversary (not DCL, it was a luxury cruise in Tahiti). Before PIF, we were hit with a LARGE unexpected expense. We cancelled the cruise and did something smaller but still very special for our anniversary. Wait until the last minute to make the decision so you will have the best information and good luck!
that's great advice. thank you!

Feb 2013 - AKL, 3 Night Bahamian Cruise on Dream, POR
Jan 2013 - WDW Half Marathon

Feb 2012 - Polynesian
Feb 2011 - Polynesian, Wilderness Campground
Oct 2006 - Wilderness Lodge

----

hoosthatmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

This is not an easy decision at all.

I think your safest bet would be cancelling the cruise.

Here is my reasons:

1. While you lose the flight money, you still gain the cruise money back that could b use to cover bills and necessities while he looks for a job.

2. He could get a job fairly quickly and not be able to take any time of for it.

* But, don't cancel your flights at first, since you the cancel fee in their and may or may not end up with any money back, but if by chance Feb gets closer and he has a job and can take time off you could go and book something. Whether a last min cruise deal, WDW, beach , or anyplace you can get to from your destination aiport.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

What is the airline's refund policy? I know you can get credit back on SW, I don't know about any others. That would be a factor. I would check with the credit card you booked the airfare with as well in case they offer any type of protection.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
neg58
DIS Veteran

I would cancel the cruise and get the money back. Then I'd check with the airline and see if there is a change fee or credit or something. If not, leave them alone - if something changes you may still be able to take the cruise. A VGT rate might come up!

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry that this has happened! Like some have said....only you know your financial situation. However....the plane tickets are paid for, so you'll loose out on quite a bit because airfare is insane. I don't know, it's a hard decision. You and your honey have much to talk about. Good luck!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
Evi
DIS Veteran

I think this is a hugely personal decision you need to make. Only you really know your finances at this point. If you already paid for flights perhaps you can make it a land trip. If you stay offsite or rent dvc its just a few options. In the end I think you need to do what is going to work for you. I wish you the best and firmly believe with every door that closes a new one opens.

Evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

The most you should lose on plane tickets is the $150/ticket change/cancel fee. The balance will be available to use on future travel - usually up to one year from the date of purchase.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #29
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

On July 6 I paid our cruise off - early. On July 13, I was laid off. I had insurance and could have cancelled our cruise, but decided that, going was the right thing to do. We were on the October 20-27 infamous Disney Fantasy Hurricane cruise. We had a great time; we had cruised before, but our 28 year old daughter was cruising for the first time. We made lots of new friends and saw new places. The memories we made, made everything worthwhile.

Still don't have a job; still looking every day.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #30
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I quit my (once dream job) back in October 2011. 2 weeks later, we went on the cruise that we had planned for months.

It was literally the best time ever.

Know why?

I didn't spend my cruise wondering what work assignments I was missing, or what work assignments I had coming up. I had one of those jobs where I worked 6 days a week, 50-60 hour weeks and I was attached to my smartphone (clients emailed all hours of the day).

Yes it was bittersweet, but it was literally one of the best trips ever.

Best part about it, I already paid for it when my salary was coming in. We spent hardly any money onboard (we had some OBC). I don't regret a single minute on that trip.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: