Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
hoosthatmouse
Earning My Ears

Husband just given 30 days notice with job

Hi all -- My husband just got bad news that is job is closing his branch and they can no longer keep him. They have given him to the end of the year. We have a cruise scheduled for Feb 2013 with our PIF date looming, Nov 19th. I am torn on what to do. Do we cancel and lose the $ we paid in our flights? or do we keep it and risk the guilt of spending money if he is still unemployed at the time. Part of me wants to keep it as something to look forward to and being prepaid I think it would be okay. Just trying to decide what to do. The news came yesterday the day after election day too. go figure.

Feb 2013 - AKL, 3 Night Bahamian Cruise on Dream, POR
Jan 2013 - WDW Half Marathon

Feb 2012 - Polynesian
Feb 2011 - Polynesian, Wilderness Campground
Oct 2006 - Wilderness Lodge

----

hoosthatmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
karyn0995
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear this news for your family.

We had something similar happen before our Fantasy cruise back in September. A few days before we were supposed to leave, the company my husband works for announced they would likely be filing for bankruptcy and shutting their doors while we were gone. Our cruise was PIF but we had DCL travel insurance so I *think* we could have rescheduled the cruise if we wanted to. We decided we needed that week to relax, unwind and de-stress from the news. I'm so glad we did because we had a fabulous tech free, hassle free week, stress free week filled with wonderful family memories.

I don't know your situation very well, but I can empathize with the decision you are facing. Personally, I am so glad we kept our cruise date and wouldn't trade that week for anything!

Best of luck to you!

karyn0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

I am sorry to hear about your husbands job loss.

If I were in the same situation, as much as I would want to keep the booking I would probably cancel the cruise to get a full refund. You can then always hold out hope that he does get a new job and can take time off---and some really good IGT, OGT and VGT offerings come out.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
ericalynn1979
DIS Veteran

I honestly think it's a very personal thing. He may be able to find a job and start working seamlessly and you won't even have this problem at the time you sail. Or his new company may not allow him to take a vacation at the time you have the cruise scheduled.

Or he could be out pounding the pavement and stressed and worried about financial obligations that you can't cover.

I know if it were us, we'd cancel and rebook later. There will always be other cruises, and it would be much less stressful to have to deal with the finances of paying for the cruise and relaxing and enjoying it while I knew the stress was still at home.

That being said, I wish him the best of luck in finding his new position quickly! May it be better than the old one!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

Only you know what decision is best for your family. If it were me, I would look at it as blessing that it happened now and not after the PIF date, cancel the cruise and either deal with the money lost for the airline tickets or call the airlines, explaining the situation and see if they can issue a voucher for the trip you are not taking. You wouldn't be getting a refund, but you wouldn't be losing it entirely either. I say this because I know that I wouldn't have a fun time on the cruise feeling that I had to pinch my pennies and worry about everything because I didn't know what was in store for me financially when I got home.

IF you have a 6 month emergency fund stored up and your vacation money already saved then maybe the cruise might be do-able, but still, and this is me personally, I might have a hard time with it.

I say wait and do the cruise at a time when you won't have the worries at home. You will enjoy it more.

I'm sorry that your husband lost his job. That really stinks, especially this time of year and with your vacation looming.

I hope things get better for your family soon.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
jodical
Mouseketeer

Let me be amongst the first to say that I am sorry to hear about your husband's job! I can relate. I was laid off from my job 4 years ago, a week after the election - and I was newly pregnant at the time. We had a trip to WDW planned a couple of months later and we struggled for a while since I was the primary breadwinner at the time.

Do what you feel you can handle. I had a miscarriage about a month before we were to travel and the anticipation of a trip to see Mickey helped clear the air a little bit for us.

I wish you all the best of luck as you make your decision and begin to navigate these unfamiliar waters.

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

We also had a similar situation, though it was about 6 months before our cruise. We already had the funds set aside and decided we could manage to go ahead with the cruise. It was great to have that opportunity to relax during a stressful time. However, I'd say it's up to you to decide 1) do you already have the cruise fare and whatever expenses set aside, and 2) do you have enough additional savings left over that you won't be setting yourself up for shortfall if you do cruise.

Good luck!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
jal417
Earning My Ears

I am so sorry about your husbands job.
I think the question is how financially stable will you be without your husbands job? If you guys are going to do okay without his job ( I mean I know it will be tight) and not struggling to eat or pay bills and be able to sleep at night then I say go for it. But if this is something you will stress about then its probably not worth your peace of mind.

I really hope he is able to find a job soon and you won't even need to worry about making this decision.
jal417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
hoosthatmouse
Earning My Ears

Everyone here has such great advice! We have another week to think about it so we will see what we decide to do. There are too many unknowns to feel good about this. Although a break may be just what we need. I'll keep you posted on what we decide.

Feb 2013 - AKL, 3 Night Bahamian Cruise on Dream, POR
Jan 2013 - WDW Half Marathon

Feb 2012 - Polynesian
Feb 2011 - Polynesian, Wilderness Campground
Oct 2006 - Wilderness Lodge

----

hoosthatmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
quickcat
Mouseketeer

I feel so bad for you! What terrible news to come at the holidays, or really, anytime would be terrible. I agree with the other poster who said they'd feel lucky the news came before the PIF date. We would have to cancel if in your shoes and re-book later. It really depends on your finances and if you could afford the cruise while he is not employed.
I hope he finds work soon & best of luck in your decision!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosthatmouse View Post
Everyone here has such great advice! We have another week to think about it so we will see what we decide to do. There are too many unknowns to feel good about this. Although a break may be just what we need. I'll keep you posted on what we decide.
I'm so sorry to hear it...
It is a personal decision...as mentioned before, only you (2) know how financially stable you are. If you do make it to the cruise, let me know...I think we are on the same cruise (Feb 17 to the Bahamas???)
DH is a "comedian"...he will make you laugh so much you'll cry...forgetting everything else while you're on the cruise

WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
samily
DIS Veteran

So sorry for your DH, not sure what we do in that situation. Did you purchase travel insurance? Our policies usually cover loss of job if employed by same employer for x # of years. Maybe that would cover the loss for your flights? Good luck with your decision!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry. I agree with others that only you can decide what works for you. We had something similar last year. We had a cruise booked for our 10th anniversary (not DCL, it was a luxury cruise in Tahiti). Before PIF, we were hit with a LARGE unexpected expense. We cancelled the cruise and did something smaller but still very special for our anniversary. Wait until the last minute to make the decision so you will have the best information and good luck!

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Ask your husband how he feels about it. Most men really worry about money/providing for the family. If he does not have any good prospects he may not enjoy the trip because all he will be thinking about is the cost.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
jahber
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry! I can relate somewhat, and I wish you and your family the best! We lost our only source of income about 2 weeks before our September cruise. The difference in our case was we were paid in full and had set aside money for tips. So, we couldn't really cancel without losing everything. But I will tell you, when we first got the news I wanted to cancel anyway! The feeling of dread and sadness was intense, especially since we were FINALLY financial stable after two full years of unemployment, scrimping, worrying, etc. Trust me, I was a mess. But after a few days I calmed down a bit. We had made it through the first layoff, so I knew we could handle this. We are doing better now, a few short months later, so I'm glad I didn't let my emotions control my decision.

All that to say, as you mentioned, give it a few days. If you feel like it would be good for your family, do it. Don't let worry about what other people might think stop you from living your life (if that's even a concern for you). If you decide the timing is not right, have peace in the fact that there will be other cruises!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: