Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #31
kevdo
Kevin Crossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulakimtrac View Post
How about Affection Section area for toddlers??? Do you like it?
It's basically a standard-issue petting zoo (hope you love goats!).
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #32
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdo View Post
It's basically a standard-issue petting zoo (hope you love goats!).
This. All goats. I would definitely skip Rafiki's Planet Watch. We spent a good deal of time waiting for the train, it was very hot, and we were disappointed when we got there. Not a ton to see, IMO.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

You can head over to www.jamboeveryone.com for more info.

We love the Animal Kingdom. Make sure you save time for the animal trails. It has my favorite attraction in Kilimanjaro safari and the best show in WDW with Festival of the Lion King

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #34
married2mm
DIS Veteran

ak is my dh's favourite park. he especially loves the tigers and the gorillas.

the whole park is wonderful,both relaxing and thrilling in equal measures.

the only thing i don't like is the nemo show, however many do.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #35
allstonsmommy
Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom is our least favorite park also. We usually do Breakfast with Donald before the park opens and then we are finished with everything we like to do by lunch time. We take a midday break and head to another park after.
allstonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #36
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I absolutely adore AK. Here's a blog article I wrote on it for the DIS:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/...-kingdom-park/

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #37
RCharnay
DIS Veteran

Went with my 80 year old mom recently for Food and Wine and she asked to spend less time at Epcot and more days At AK. We did the safari twice, and walked the treks -especially the wonderful birds! She enjoyed Nemo and Flights of wonder, and we spent hours just wandering the trails and looking at the amazing animals. The CMs at AK really know their stuff and if you slow down and listen, they can teach you so much. and we did Festival/Lion King both days, too.

I agree with the comments regarding Rafikis Planet watch. It is mostly a place to pet goats. It is boring to most kids older than toddlers. The only time I've enjoyed the visit is one trip when they were doing a surgery. My premed son was able to describe some o what was happening and that was fascinating. I think I'll skip it next trip.
2008 - Nov - Hilton Head
2008 - December/Jan - OKW
2010-Jan-VWL
2011-Jan-OKW/BWV
2011-Mar-AK SV
2012-Mar & Dec-OKW
2013-Dec-OKW
2014-Jan & Mar & Oct & Dec-OKW
RCharnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #38
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I would definitely skip Rafiki's Planet Watch. We spent a good deal of time waiting for the train, it was very hot, and we were disappointed when we got there. Not a ton to see, IMO.
Well, I disagree with this. I find Rafiki's Planet watch quite interesting. You can watch a veterinary procedure on an animal (through a viewing window. The often have an unusual "pettable" animal available for guest interaction (often a reptile, but sometimes other animals, too). They also have animal appearances (with their handlers) on a small stage by the petting area several times a day. I've seen lots of interesting animals there, such as a hedgehog, porcupine, several birds including owls, and other animals. The handlers answer questions from the crowd, and will stay after the show as long as there are guests asking questions.

I think one of the reasons lots of people list AK as their least favorite park is because they rush from thing to thing, and don't take the time to slow down and notice all of the cool things that are there. I can't tell you how many people I see walk right by something really interesting, like DeVine, without even noticing it's there. [I happen to volunteer at my local zoo, and am often found out on zoo grounds with amazing animals. It never ceases to surprise me that people walk right by me without even noticing whatever animal I'm holding, whether it's a huge Eurasian eagle owl, a beaver, an opossum, etc.] I wish more people would give AK a chance - it's so amazing if you take time to slow down and really see things.

Last edited by ZoZo; 11-24-2012 at 08:57 PM.
ZoZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #39
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZo View Post
Well, I disagree with this. I find Rafiki's Planet watch quite interesting. You can watch a veterinary procedure on an animal (through a viewing window. The often have an unusual "pettable" animal available for guest interaction (often a reptile, but sometimes other animals, too). They also have animal appearances (with their handlers) on a small stage by the petting area several times a day. I've seen lots of interesting animals there, such as a hedgehog, porcupine, several birds including owls, and other animals. The handlers answer questions from the crowd, and will stay after the show as long as there are guests asking questions.
I see your point but for someone who's short on time and doesn't have an interest in AK to begin with, Rafiki's Planet Watch is a waste of time - time in this scenario would be better spent at shows and on attractions.

The veterinary procedures are typically done at certain times in the morning and are often hard to catch. We did catch one, but found it difficult to see anything with all the people standing around the animal in the operating room and also all the people standing at the glass. The animal that was out with a handler was a hawk of some type - nothing I couldn't have seen at my local zoo. In any event, I don't recommend it for the OP's scenario. If someone has a whole day or two to kill at AK, it would be worth it.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #40
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Animal Kingdom has never really been my favorite park.

Prior to this trip, I hadn't been to AK either!

In fact, I usually skip it on my vacations just because I like the other 3 parks much more. This December, I am going to WDW with my husband, DD2, sister(30), mother, father, grandmother, and grandfather. They have put me in charge of planning the trip and have requested going to Animal Kingdom. We have two mornings where we are planning to go to Animal Kingdom.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Good call...Its not a full- day park in IMHO and it gets hot as...[/COLOR]

Knowing this, what are you must dos and your skips? We are certainly planning on Expedition Everest (obviously not for the daughter or grandparents) and Kilimanjaro Safari.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]LOVED LOVED Safari!!! Got fab pics and learned alot of stuff about exotic animals. Highly recommend but FastPass asap. We fastpassed it the minute we got there as we were there during high traffic time. Tip= if you sit in the back you can take pics out the rear of the vehicle with out the heads of others in your way. I'm so glad I lucked out but I'm sure you can ask to be sat in the back as they assign you a row. [/COLOR]

My dad also wants to do Kali River Rapids, provided the weather is good.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"] Agree, watch forecast. We skipped bc we heard you get really wet and it was chilly![/COLOR]

Probably going to skip Rifiki's Planet Watch.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Rethink this... we did it and I am so glad we did! Very cute for your 2yo and you can meet Rafiki here. She may like the train ride here and back... my dd2 loved seeing the animal doctors too. [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Would you do Maharaja Jungle Trek and Panjani Forest Exploration Trails?
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Didn't make it over top Asia but did do Pagani and would say it was very intersting. Gorillas alone make it worth the time. So cute. And if you get to see the Hippos it is def worth it. Hippos are cool. lo[/COLOR]l

I think It's Tough to Be a Bug would be good for most, but think it might scare my 2-year-old.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Check it out before you go! Watch the youtube video and decide for yourself. I decided it was too intense for my dd2, but might not be for yours. You know your kid.[/COLOR]

I think we want to do Festival of the Lion King. [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]So so bummed we missed this... [/COLOR]Many will want to do Dinosaur, as well.

So what would you do? What would you skip? What order do you think you would do everything in? Oh, and we have reservations at Tusker House for our second day at Animal Kingdom for 8:10 (park opens at 9).
I'd say do Tusker House, fast pass safari and go do the trail. Then you have had your breakfast, take your time on the trail and then mosey on back for your safari. I'd def check out Rafikis tho. Your dd2 might like the train ride back n forth and meeting Rafiki. Plus, there are animal encounters she may enjoy. I went with my in-laws and they liked it too. I'd stay there the first 1/2 day and make sure I get in all of africa and that part then move on to Dinosaur and all the next day. That way you go in and go to the left one day and then go to the right the next day. I'd think you'd cover the entire park in 2 mornings and get on everything you want. If you like desserts, try Kusafiri Cafe. White Choc Elephant Cupcakes are an experience in themselves! lol

Overall, enjoy your time with your familly!!!! =) Go with a loose plan and if it doesn't work out oh well. Its not worth stressing over... =)

That's my two cents! Enjoy!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #41
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCharnay View Post
I agree with the comments regarding Rafikis Planet watch. It is mostly a place to pet goats. It is boring to most kids older than toddlers.
I see but the OP has a dd2 which =toddler so...
Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #42
MJMcBride

If you want to do Tusker House breakfast, go first thinga at 8am, an hour before park opening. You will be done a few minutes before park opening and have a chance to meander and enjoy a deserted Harambe

Then you will also be ahead of the pack for the Safari, getting one of the first rides. After that head over to EE. By 930 945 you will have to 2 major rides and a great breakfast done

Kwaherini

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #43
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

I usually get a fastpass for the safari - then go on the Pangani Forest Trail while I wait for the fastpass time to come around. They have some gorillas there now and it is really interesting - especially in the morning as the gorillas are usually chowing down. WDW has really improved the trails/animals viewing areas all around the park this year - you can really see more animals now than say in March when I first got my AP. OF course it may depend on weather - how hot it is - to how many animals you see.

The safari is also updated - they now have zebra - and lots of animals out and about this winter.

AK must do's IMO -
EE
Pangani Forest Trail
Safari
Lion King Show
Nemo Show
It's Tough to be a Bug

do if you have time -
Flight of Wonders (bird show)
Dinosaur
Rafikis Planet Watch (if you have science/biologist types in your group - if not - you could pass - former Biology Teacher here so I like it)

Hope you enjoy your AK time!

And ditto for the White Elephant Chocolate Cupcakes at Kusafiri - YUM!
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
New Trip Report HKDL http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #44
MJMcBride

The Safari is best either first or towards the end of the day. Another great time is during rain.

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #45
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

Monkeys?? Bouncing off thread here yet my DS(16) ask does AK have monkeys and idk as this is our first WDW trip!?! Thanx for any info
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: