Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
kalamazoo
Mouseketeer

A few comments on our Presidents Day Weekend experience - crowd level 9 predicted

We had a pretty good time but only because:
a) we knew it was going to be crowded
b) we have been to WDW lots of times
c) we were able to prioritize what we wanted to do

On Sunday I commented about feeling sorry for newbies. The crowds could have been enough to sour someone who didn't know better.

On Sunday we ping-ponged between DHS and Epcot and, with severely lowered expectations, ended up having a relatively good time, though did not actually do a lot of rides/attractions.

Didn't start out too well though. Got to DHS just after opening and TSM standby was already at 50 minutes (usually more like 30 at that time). Got a FP instead (12:55-1:55 return) and tried to find a place to get a bite of breakfast indoors (don't know what the temp was at that point but I'm sure was nowhere near that day's high of 55). We never eat breakfast in the park so didn't know what was available but DHS has never really impressed me with it's dining so not a total surprise that there was no CS breakfast to be had indoors. Postponed eating and tried RNR standby (we were not FP eligible until 11:15 because of our TSM FP's). Standby wait time was 1 hour - forget it. We left DHS with intent to return later for TSM and other attractions.

Went to Epcot and had a nice breakfast at the Land and got FP's after breakfast for TT (our main goal for Epcot that day as they were all gone when we got there Saturday later afternoon). FP return time 4:55-5:55.

Went back to DHS and spent the afternoon doing rides (just 2 - TSM and StarTours with a FP) and shows.

Then left for Epcot to finish the day with our ride on the new TT. There was a line out the door for FP holders but it moved fairly quickly. We had fun designing a goofy concept car. Enjoyed the TT redesign though I think they could have done a little more. The queue area was uninteresting but at least it was fairly quiet (much less torturous than the banging, clanging old queue area).

I would not particularly recommend this type of touring style but it worked out for us (2 trips to DHS and 2 trips to Epcot in 1 day). We had a car and these parks are close together. It is easy to park and walk at these parking lots - I would never try to do this kind of thing at MK.

Just a note: when we returned to TSM for our FP time there was a line out the door and down past the FP kiosks for FP holders. The line for standby was very short but the wait time for standby was 3 hours. The CM said they were letting in about 40 FP holders for every 4 standby guests.

It was pretty cold on Sunday - a bit of a disappointment since a major purpose of this trip was to get away from the cold weather at home - go figure. Not that we had plans to go there but I believe TL was closed because it was too cold. Oh well, mid-50's and sunny (with green trees, colorful flowers and tweeting birds) still better than below zero temps and a white, brown and grey palate.

BTW, on Saturday we went to MK (a not recommended park on EasyWDW but it was also not recommended for Sunday so we didn't have much choice). It was not crowded all morning and we did everything we wanted except POC which was down (possibly for the day?). We had lunch at BOG - got in line right around peak lunch hour. The CM said it would be 1 hr to 1 hr and a half (I absolutely was not willing to wait so long but agreed to stand in line for a while and see how it went.) I don't think we were even in line for half an hour before we made it to the order kiosks. I liked this place. Great atmosphere. The food was pretty good and it was nice to have quasi-table service.
kalamazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamazoo
We had a pretty good time but only because:
a) we knew it was going to be crowded
b) we have been to WDW lots of times
c) we were able to prioritize what we wanted to do

On Sunday I commented about feeling sorry for newbies. The crowds could have been enough to sour someone who didn't know better.

On Sunday we ping-ponged between DHS and Epcot and, with severely lowered expectations, ended up having a relatively good time, though did not actually do a lot of rides/attractions.

Didn't start out too well though. Got to DHS just after opening and TSM standby was already at 50 minutes (usually more like 30 at that time). Got a FP instead (12:55-1:55 return) and tried to find a place to get a bite of breakfast indoors (don't know what the temp was at that point but I'm sure was nowhere near that day's high of 55). We never eat breakfast in the park so didn't know what was available but DHS has never really impressed me with it's dining so not a total surprise that there was no CS breakfast to be had indoors. Postponed eating and tried RNR standby (we were not FP eligible until 11:15 because of our TSM FP's). Standby wait time was 1 hour - forget it. We left DHS with intent to return later for TSM and other attractions.

Went to Epcot and had a nice breakfast at the Land and got FP's after breakfast for TT (our main goal for Epcot that day as they were all gone when we got there Saturday later afternoon). FP return time 4:55-5:55.

Went back to DHS and spent the afternoon doing rides (just 2 - TSM and StarTours with a FP) and shows.

Then left for Epcot to finish the day with our ride on the new TT. There was a line out the door for FP holders but it moved fairly quickly. We had fun designing a goofy concept car. Enjoyed the TT redesign though I think they could have done a little more. The queue area was uninteresting but at least it was fairly quiet (much less torturous than the banging, clanging old queue area).

I would not particularly recommend this type of touring style but it worked out for us (2 trips to DHS and 2 trips to Epcot in 1 day). We had a car and these parks are close together. It is easy to park and walk at these parking lots - I would never try to do this kind of thing at MK.

Just a note: when we returned to TSM for our FP time there was a line out the door and down past the FP kiosks for FP holders. The line for standby was very short but the wait time for standby was 3 hours. The CM said they were letting in about 40 FP holders for every 4 standby guests.

It was pretty cold on Sunday - a bit of a disappointment since a major purpose of this trip was to get away from the cold weather at home - go figure. Not that we had plans to go there but I believe TL was closed because it was too cold. Oh well, mid-50's and sunny (with green trees, colorful flowers and tweeting birds) still better than below zero temps and a white, brown and grey palate.

BTW, on Saturday we went to MK (a not recommended park on EasyWDW but it was also not recommended for Sunday so we didn't have much choice). It was not crowded all morning and we did everything we wanted except POC which was down (possibly for the day?). We had lunch at BOG - got in line right around peak lunch hour. The CM said it would be 1 hr to 1 hr and a half (I absolutely was not willing to wait so long but agreed to stand in line for a while and see how it went.) I don't think we were even in line for half an hour before we made it to the order kiosks. I liked this place. Great atmosphere. The food was pretty good and it was nice to have quasi-table service.
Agree completely. We were in some of the same parks the same days and had similar thoughts and mostly laid-back plans.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: