Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #121
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I agree 100% that everyone, whether they are gardening lovers or not, should take the Behind the Seeds Tour. We have done it three times and love it! As a matter of fact, we may be doing it again in May so that Jesse can see what we've been raving about.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #122
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
I think squash and eggplant would be a lot easier to pick like this...you wouldn't get all scratched up and "itchy" afterwards. (Showing my Southern roots there)

It looks like a nice tour to try. Sighhhh......ANOTHER item to add to my bucket-list after reading your TR!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #123
amandaw
DIS Veteran

I have gotten so far behind...I'm sorry!

All of your updates are great!

Glad you were getting to experience F&W! I wish we had been able to try those sliders at the Hawaii kiosk....they look delicious! And I can only imagine how spice the Mongolian beef was if it made the Shrimp Ceviche taste bland.

The tour looks really neat....I've heard good things about that tour!

And Yay! for another trip! I admire your son very much for choosing a military path. And you as well for being a brave, supportive mother.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #124
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I agree 100% that everyone, whether they are gardening lovers or not, should take the Behind the Seeds Tour. We have done it three times and love it! As a matter of fact, we may be doing it again in May so that Jesse can see what we've been raving about.
I agree, it is probably the best deal at Disney! And of course your last report when you all did this was what convinced me I had to take this tour!!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #125
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
I think squash and eggplant would be a lot easier to pick like this...you wouldn't get all scratched up and "itchy" afterwards. (Showing my Southern roots there)

It looks like a nice tour to try. Sighhhh......ANOTHER item to add to my bucket-list after reading your TR!
And add okra to that list!!! I love eating all of those but boy they do make you itch!

Hopefully my next update will add to that list since it will be more of the Food and Wine Fest!!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #126
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I have gotten so far behind...I'm sorry!

All of your updates are great!

Glad you were getting to experience F&W! I wish we had been able to try those sliders at the Hawaii kiosk....they look delicious! And I can only imagine how spice the Mongolian beef was if it made the Shrimp Ceviche taste bland.

The tour looks really neat....I've heard good things about that tour!

And Yay! for another trip! I admire your son very much for choosing a military path. And you as well for being a brave, supportive mother.
I have stayed behind and I am so slow in updates too! I think the pork sliders were one of the best things we tried. That Mongolian beef was so spicy and I am used to the Cajun way of spicing things up!

We are proud of him-although it is a bit scary. We just hope his plans do not get disrupted due to all of these cuts! He has been so focused on this that he doesn't have an alternative right now.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #127
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

More Food and Wine!

“Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once.”
― Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

We started off by taking a left towards Mexico and stopped at…oh wait let me say something real quick! One of the very first food stations to the left was Terra Something or ‘nother. It was a new place with vegetarian offerings. To me the smell was SO BAD!!! I held my breath every time I walked past it. I don’t know what they were cooking but it was a turn-off to me! So I pressed past this little hut and stopped at Australia!!!

We purchased two items from Australia: Shrimp on the Barbie ($4.75 each)

And the Grilled Lamb Chop with pesto and crunchy potato chip crumbles ($5.75 each but I used a snack credit on this one)

The Shrimp on the Barbie were good but really missing something. Maybe I am just too used to eating amazing Cajun cooking and the spicier the better. I love my shrimp to have lots of kick and these were just a little lazy. They were good though, just not seasoned to my preferences!

The Lamb Chop was okay. Keith really didn’t care for the pesto and I thought it was tolerable. The lamb chop itself had good flavor and was a nice change of pace!

Next up we grabbed a couple of things from Argentina!

The cooks were delightfully funny and insisted I take their picture before I received my food!!

First we ordered the Beef Empanada ($4.00 each)

And then we got the Grilled Beef Skewer ($5.00 each)

Both were very good but I really liked the beef empanada!! It had a great flavor to it!!

Our view while we munched!

Right next to Argentina was Caribbean!!

At this local I got food and a drink!!

The drink I chose was the Dragon Berry Colada ($7.75 each). That is a little high for a small drink but it was very refreshing and delicious!!

Food-wise I got the Ropa Vieja ($3.50 each)

This was very much like the Beef Rendang in Singapore the previous day. Only this had a slight sweetness to it and was not spicy. This dish was very good indeed!!! It ranks as one of my favorites of the trip!!

Keith decided he needed a beverage and hit up the Craft Beer Cart.

Finally we made it to one of my “must hit” places!! Canada!!!

Canada offered the Cheddar Soup ($4.00 each) and the filet with mushrooms and truffle sauce ($6.50 each but I used a snack credit here).

The Cheddar Soup was wonderful! Just like the one served at Le Cellier!!

The filet was very good. Of course it is better in Le Cellier but for a cheap non-two table service offering, it was just perfect!!

After finishing up the soup and steak, we headed towards France but then veered right as we reached the bridge!

For the 3rd day in a row we managed to go to Epcot and Hollywood Studios!!

As soon as we approached Sunset Blvd. we noticed a Streetmosphere act going on so naturally we stopped!!!

"Half the people in Hollywood are dying to be discovered and the other half are afraid they will be."
Lionel Barrymore

This particular skit was the funny, little guy putting people in and out of his car. He kept saying “Get in my car” and then he would ask the actress something which would require an answer about shortness and he would yell “Get out of my car!!!”

Continued in the following post....

Last edited by TinksThree; 04-01-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #128
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from the previous post...

He did this with several of the characters.

And then he pointed at Keith! “Get in my car!!”

He asked Keith a question…

And then he shouted at him “Get out of my car!!”

"I've got a lot of ham in me."
Lionel Barrymore

The skit ends and we move along and run into another little skit! This one is an actress trying to get to an audition. We hang around until the finish…

Then we begin our wanderings which we have gotten excellent at!!

We find ourselves at Muppets 3D. I have been here once in 2009 and we have never made it back. Keith isn’t a huge Muppets fan and I ride the fence so it hasn’t been an issue.

"Rat, schmat, besides...they're tourists...what do they know?" - Rizzo, Muppet Vision 3D

We enter in and I snap a few photos.

The show commences and in the end we both found it very enjoyable! I was a little worried Keith would not approve but he gave it a thumb up!

We leave the Streets of America area and find ourselves stuck across “enemy” lines! The parade was going on. I just am not a fan of the DHS parade although I love the Pixar characters! We sit on the wall by the restrooms next to American Idol and I managed to get a few pictures to remember the moment with however that annoying music never wanted to go away!!!

And I will end this episode here paying homage to this parade that is now going away...along with the Disney Rocks show...another one that I cringed every time I heard/saw it!

Up next we discover more things in Hollywood Studios!!

Last edited by TinksThree; 04-01-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #129
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Looks like y'all had some more great selections at F&W! Those empanadas were delicious!!

And for making it to DHS again! Looks like y'all were having a nice time!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #130
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Looks like y'all had some more great selections at F&W! Those empanadas were delicious!!

And for making it to DHS again! Looks like y'all were having a nice time!
I was really pleased with all of our choices! Keith found a fondness for Hollywood Studios on this trip!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #131
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

More Wanderings around Hollywood Studios....

Now this walking about is going to seem slightly odd&we decided to go to The Great Movie Ride but when we got there we decided not to so we decided to leave and then we saw another (I know!!!) Streetmosphere skit going on!

This was one we had seen already but we still stopped for a bit to watch.

Then we set out for a little more aimless wanderings!!

So then we made our way to&.Toy Story!!!

We got in the stand-by line which was about 50 minutes.

Once again Keith won in the score but I won by accuracy!

Keith sportin his retro cool glasses!!!

We decide to take a break and make our way back to the resort. Once there we walk around a bit and I snap a few pictures.

The pool area which finally had the heater working and some kids were swimming.

And a few of the mega huge iconic features!!

And the Art of Animation across the way!!

We head to the room and rest for about an hour or two before getting ready for our big night!!

Continued in the following post....

Last edited by TinksThree; 04-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #132
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued...POP Century, Ohana and Fireworks!!!

Ever since July when we ate at Ohana we knew we had found a new favorite! This trip was so last minute plus with free dining that finding an opening was almost impossible!! Two weeks before the trip I snagged a 9:30pm ADR although I was not too keen on eating such a major meal that late!

I checked over and over daily and nothing new ever opened up. Then Sunday night while we were watching the show about house hunting in Alaska I checked and there was one for 8:30pm!! So the lesson here is DO NOT GIVE UP!!! You do not have to settle. Keep looking!! It may or may not work out every time but you just never know!

Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten.
-Lilo and Stitch

Our ADR was for 8:30pm but we arrived a little before 8pm. This worked because by 8:15pm we were seated. Our table location was much better this time around!

I had a great view of the fire pit where our food was being grilled!

Soon the wonderful food begins coming out!!

The bread…so warm and yummy!!

The salad is tangy, crunchy and very good!

Then the noodles and broccoli are brought. The broccoli is very good but I still am not a huge fan of the noodles. And of course we get the wings and pot stickers, both of which are amazing!! But it is SO MUCH FOOD!!!! The one thing I hate about eating here is seeing so much food getting wasted!! There was so much thrown away!!

The meats soon were making their rounds. I asked for my meat medium rare and out it came perfectly red!! The chicken and pork were good but the best of all were the shrimp! I ate so many shrimp!!!!!

Finally the bread pudding made its way to our table and we forced ourselves to eat some. But it was so good, we ate more of it than we had intended!!

After we had finished stuffing ourselves like little pigs, we made our way to the beach! Our ADR time and a 9:30pm HalloWishes made for perfect timing!!
We found a couple of lounge chairs and sat back and waited.

Soon the show began!! This was a night they were having the Halloween Party so it was really Hallowishes!

We found a new favorite way to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks!! They have an entirely different view seeing it all around but the music is piped onto the beach and there are no crowds! It was amazing!!!
HALLOWISHES!!!!

After the fireworks, we made our way to the monorail platform and what arrives but the Avengers monorail!!! I snapped a picture since this is Keith’s new favorite movie!

Before long we were at Magic Kingdom and passing a purple, ghoulish Train Station….

On our way to the buses!

It had been another very successful and fun filled day at Disney World!!!

Up next our final day!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #133
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I agree....Never give up when trying to get a good time for Ohana. Just a few weeks ago, I was able to find a dinner ADR there after many weeks of searching for even an opening. The food is soooooo good there!

We caught a glimpse of Wishes from the Poly when we went to the luau but we didn't have as good a view as you guys did. What a relaxing place to watch the fireworks from!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #134
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I agree....Never give up when trying to get a good time for Ohana. Just a few weeks ago, I was able to find a dinner ADR there after many weeks of searching for even an opening. The food is soooooo good there!

We caught a glimpse of Wishes from the Poly when we went to the luau but we didn't have as good a view as you guys did. What a relaxing place to watch the fireworks from!
I think Ohana is now the number one place for my family!! Everyone loves it!! Definitely never give up...you never know!

I really liked sitting on the beach without the crowds and it was so peaceful!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #135
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Halloween Day....Our Final Day....

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Our final day began much like every day! We woke up and headed to the bus stop to figure out which park to go to! We settled on Hollywood Studios.

Some people skip this park and we have gone every single day of our trip! It has become one of Keith's favorite parks. It is growing on me...maybe due to the excessive exposure!!

We grab Fast Passes to TSMM and then go in search of breakfast. We stop at Starring Rolls and I get a chocolate croissant!! I love these things!!!

After we eat, we go to...

"We invite you, if you dare, to step aboard because in tonight's episode you are the star, and this elevator travels directly to . . . The Twilight Zone." Rod Serling, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Now I can't end my trip at DHS and not ride Tower of Terror can I?!?!?! And not only that it IS Halloween day!!!!! So I thought that was simply amazing!!!

After our trip to the Twilight Zone we head back down Sunset Blvd. and run into in front of The Hat...

Seriously...I think we must have seen every one of the skits they do this trip but it was so much fun!!

Every country gets the circus it deserves. Spain gets bullfights. Italy gets the Catholic Church. America gets Hollywood.
Erica Jong quotes (American writer and feminist, 1942)

This was a little game show and they had people running up to ring a bell and answer trivia questions.

Also, since this is Halloween Day we saw lots of costumes!! Some were really cool!

In fact...some were almost too real!! These characters got lots of requests for poses and pictures! One of the little ones actually won the game during Streetmosphere!

Soon we headed off for some lunch at ABC Commissary.

When we ate here a few days before we really liked the food but this visit received mixed reviews. This go around Keith went with the same burger he had previously gotten. He said it wasn't as good...a little flavorless. I, on the other hand, got the shrimp and fish plate and I really enjoyed mine!!

This is a place we will return. For all of the bad reviews DHS counter service places get so far I have eaten at ABC Commissary and Pizza Planet. Both of these places we have and will return to! It isnt 5-star but it is fast food at Disney, so maybe people should cut a little slack!

Continued in the following post on the following page.....

Last edited by TinksThree; 04-16-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: