Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #31
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Yea for arriving!! I love the big icons at POP too, especially when they're lit up at night. You're right that the rooms are plainer and the beds smaller but I do love the vibe of POP. I know exactly where you're standing taking the picture of the Hippy Dippy Pool.

DTD is a great first night choice. Satisfies that "I'm finally at Disney" feeling and you don't "waste" a park day. We've never eaten at Cooke's but it looks like a good place to put on the list to try. Can't wait to hear about your official first day!!
POP is so lively with all of the huge icons and they are so colorful! I like going to DTD because it does give you that Disney feel! I hope to have an update very soon. I am heading out for a work conference this morning but hopefully I can post something this week!!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Going back to catch up.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm here! Going back to catch up.
Welcome !!! I am so far behind! I have lots of catching up to do! I feel as though I have been away for ages!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #34
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

It's that time of year!!

I am alive and well…I know that is probably hard to believe since I have been AWOL for the last 2-3 weeks! So sorry!! I hope to try and add at least two updates a week now. We are about to get out for Christmas break and that should free a little time up!! I also have so many reports I am following and I am so far behind! It seems I just do not have enough time in my day to do what I need to do….aside from work I have Christmas parties, Christmas shopping, decorating the house and then those horrid domestic things like cooking, laundry and cleaning! Whew….so tired thinking about it all!!

So why exactly have I been AWOL? I am going to do a brief update if you’ll indulge me ………

First the week prior to Thanksgiving, I took Madison to Disney on Ice!! In October she had seen a commercial about the show coming to the area and it had Alice in Wonderland. Well, she loves Alice and called me to ask if we could go. How could I tell my 16 year old girl “NO”?!?! So I immediately got the tickets and away we went.

This was not the first Disney on Ice we have been to and at first I thought “Oh dear, what have we gotten into!?” The others have been so good and this one began blah! This was Treasure Trove and it had lots and lots of characters. Honestly I only knew a few that were to be shown so by the end of the show I was surprised how many they had represented! A few pictures although I found it hard to get good ones with the angle we were at (we really at pretty good seats) and the lighting seemed to make the skaters appear totally white lighted.

Waiting for the show to begin!

It began with a guy and gal coming out and doing stretching exercises to exhibit how the skaters prepare for a show.

Then the Incredibles came out….I guess this was the only idea they had to utilize these characters, but it was just not fun for me and Madison!

After that the show took a turn for the better and next up was Alice!!

After Alice in Wonderland, it was time to indulge the boys with Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, The Lost Boys, Peter Pan, Wendy and Tinker Bell….

Then one of my absolute favorites…..The Lion King!!!

Soon we were back to the girls and that was kicked off with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs!

Followed by Aladdin!!

Continued in the following post....
Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #35
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post....

More Princesses followed&The Little Mermaid and Tangled

The finale included The Princess and The Frog plus all of the princesses and their princes&Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, Jasmine, Belle, Ariel, Tianna, Rapunzel&..And of course Minnie, Mickey and the Gang!

It was a great Girls Night Out and we had so much fun!!

Then that Saturday and Sunday we had all of our Thanksgiving get-togethers with family. We ate so much!! But the holidays were upon us!! The weekend was followed by a rapid booking of a hotel in Gatlinburg, TN and a trip! We werent sure if Chris could get off until the previous Sunday so we had no idea if we could go, but we did and we had a blast!!

We left before dawn on Wednesday, November 21. After waiting for two hours just outside of Chattanooga due to a seven car wreck, we made it to Townsend and the entrance of the National Park. This is how we always go in: we avoid Sevierville like the plague, drive to Maryville and then to Townsend and finally entering the park. We love taking the drive on Little River Road to Gatlinburg, plus our hotel is on the park side so we avoid the Gatlinburg traffic! We made a stop at The Sinks which is usually a rapid but the water was low this trip&still the rapid water was evident!!

Then we went to the top of the mountain as we like to call it. This is really around Newfoundland Gap and I suppose it is close to the top! We arrived just as the sun was deciding to say good night!

By this time it was around 6pm and we were ready to locate our hotel and find food!! We chose to stay at the Motel 6. We had been here before when it was a Red Roof and it was okay. The price is low which we always shoot for on these trips ($39 for Wednesday and $70 the rest of the weekendThanksgiving). Upgrades had been made and it was really a good stay! It is clean and the beds were pretty comfortable. It is in walking distance to the strip and our only complaint was that now there is not a continental breakfast. We remedied that by taking pop-tarts and cereal since there was a microwave and fridge&but no coffee pot. The room was HUGE! Think of Disneys Value Rooms x 2 ½!

That night we ate at a new restaurant: Howards. It was empty when we entered and you walk through a bar area but it isnt a BAR per se. Think Applebees or Chilis. We were shooting for burgers but once Madison and I saw the menus we went with something else. Had I know the food was going to be so good&I would have taken pictures!! The burgers were huge and came with fries for $8, I got a pork loin wrapped in bacon and potatoes and onions (delish!) for $8 and Madison got hamburger steak and fries for $8! If you are in the area, I highly recommend!! The only picture I took was the view by my table overlooking a creek:

The hotel in the background is the Quality Inn Creekside that we stayed in last year&another place I highly recommend. They were already booked for this trip when I made reservations on Monday.

This was the outside of the restaurant on the main street:

We awoke Thanksgiving morning to relatively mild temps and decide to head to the park! First up is one of our favorite places: Laurel Falls. This is on Little River Road and is a little over one mile. It is uphill going but it is pavedjust watch out for the drop-offs! Really those arent that bad either. On our way up a few pics:

And then we arrive!!

People are always so friendly and we actually spent 20 minutes or so conversing with others there. We heard about a bear sighting on up the trail and tried finding him/her but with no luck. Back at the falls, a couple offered to take a family picture:

We spent almost 2 ½ hours hiking to the falls, relaxing and walking back. Going back to the car was easy&all downhill! This is a very popular hike and by the time we got back to the little parking area cars were lined up on the side of the road!! Next we kept traveling along Little River Road to Cades Coveanother must for us every trip! We stopped to picnic at the Cades Cove picnic area. We love this spot because it has a creek next to it. There are lots of great picnic areas throughout the park with creeks next to the table areas.

Then we headed into Cades Cove. Our first stop was Lucretia Olivers cabin which is in its actual original spot. The Olivers were evidently very common in Cades Cove since the cemetery at one of the churchs has lots of tombstones with the name Oliver!

At one of those churches we spotted a buck and since Madisons boyfriend was hunting at the moment she had to take a picture to show him she had seen a deer and he had not! Normally we pass the deer by since they are in our backyard every single night!!

A few more pictures as we rode along the 11 mile loop!

We stopped midway at the Visitors Center which has great exhibits, although not as many on the holiday. There is a grist mill and I always buy the corn meal there.

Inside the store they have lots of locally made jams, preserves, pickles, chow-chow and other things&like Lye Soap. I found this sign extremely funny and threatened to make a purchase!!

Continued in the next post...
Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #36
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post....

Soon upon leaving the Visitor Center area we ran into this….

I snapped lots of bored pictures while we waited in this long line:

But then we saw why the line was so long…just on the other side of the house and barn was this!

We pulled to the side and watched the bear for 15 minutes or so. He just laid there enjoying something he was eating. A park ranger was nearby and made sure some of the idiots…uhm, I mean people, didn’t get to close. Seriously people…it is still a WILD BEAR!!!!!

Moving on down the road we stopped one more time at a house and went hiking through the fields….

We spent a good portion of 4 hours in Cade’s Cove which the time you spend can be completely up to you! We loved every single second of it!! For supper we went to another favorite: The Smoky Mountain Brewery. They have really good burgers and pizzas all at a great place. And if you are into beer, they brew their own.

We ended the evening with a round of miniature golf. There are several and we chose one that goes up the side of the mountain. Lots of fun! This place also has other arcade, touristy type things.

Friday (November 23) we headed towards Cherokee, NC. We had several goals in mind. First was Clingman’s Dome. First we stopped at Newfoundland Gap which splits the states of Tennessee and North Carolina:

It closes for the winter in early December but it has been closed at Thanksgiving due to the weather. We were hopeful this would not be the case and we were rewarded with cloudless skies (while we were there, as the day progressed others wouldn’t be so lucky!). The hike is literally a hike of ½ mile but it feels like 20! Especially when you aren’t used to the elevation and not exercising like you should. But here are a few pictures of the adventure we had!

Back at the bottom…again the return is much, much better!

Back on the road towards Cherokee:

Continued in the following post...
Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from the previous post...

Another great visitor center is the Oconaluftee Visitor Center. They have a wonderful museum and a mountain farm area that is wonderful to walk through. A few pictures from this area:

Next up was another waterfall. This one is down from the Big Creek Campground: Mingo Falls.

This one has lots of steps to get to it:

But it is worth the effort!!

To exit you go through Cherokee (this is an Indian Reservation for those that do not know) and we saw a Cherokee dancing!

Not ready to call it a day, we drove briefly on the Blue Ridge Parkway which ends in Cherokee.

And then we decided we still weren’t ready to have our journey end so we stopped at another mill. This one was Mingo Mill and it has a turpine wheel rather than the big water wheel.

Then we began our journey back to Gatlinburg. A cold front was moving through and this is what we were running into:

So we decided to rest and wait a bit at Newfoundland Gap where the view was something like this:

Finally back for the evening we walk along the strip area and do a little shopping before dinner. They have everything all lit up for Christmas and this aquarium is really a great place to visit!!

Supper was held at Calhoun’s BBQ which (as you can guess) we love and eat here every trip!!

Saturday was the day we headed home. Normally we stay until Sunday but I had things to do before flying out Monday for a conference. Since I wasn’t coming home until the following Friday, I had lots to do! But we didn’t drive straight home. We stopped some along the way plus we took a scenic ride home. This one included going back through the mountain to Cherokee.

Snow!!! Although it was in the high elevations so we just ah’d over the view!

Just before exiting the park, we made a stop at a church I had seen the day before. As many times as I have been to this park, I never had noticed this!

Soon we were heading towards Cleveland, TN. There is a train in North Carolina that we have decided we want to ride on our next trip. During the holiday season they have a Polar Express trip…how cool!!

Any time you travel close to the east part of Tennessee you will see lots of these…

I took this one since that is where we are headed! Chattanooga here we come!!!

But before we arrive we passed the Ocoee River in the Cherokee National Forest…this area is a beautiful drive!

Rock City!!!

Can they squeeze through?

Mushroom Rock

Continued in the following post...
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #38
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Final of the previous posts!!

Great views! You can see seven states (or so they say) on a clear day!

Keith, Chris and Madison cross the swinging bridge:

A few fun shots:

Madison called this formation “Rocky” the Snowman. That wasn’t what Rock City had titled it but I forget their name:

A face in the rock although this wasn’t a great picture. This is also a waterfall and “Lover’s Leap”

Finally we exit and begin the 6 hour drive home.

As we entered Alabama the sunset/sky was gorgeous!

We got home around 10pm and crashed! We had a great trip but I still had a full schedule!! Work conferences can be exhausting and by the time we arrived back on November 30th from the work trip I was dead tired! I spent that weekend sleeping and then work all over again this week plus all that stuff I mentioned at the beginning! We have finals at the college this week so our office has been hopping with those people waiting until the last minute to square away everything for graduation! But I should be back to the boards now! Lots of catching up to do and up next: MORE DISNEY!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #39
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

THAT was some mini trip report!! Your pictures are absolutely goorrrggeeoouuss!!! I love those mountain views and you got some really incredible shots!! It's been a few years since I've been to Gatlinburg/Sevierville but your pictures take me right back there. You all did a lot in just a couple days. I love that there are so many great places to see and hike in the Park. You have some really nice family pics too. Great memories!! BTW, great deal on the hotel!! (especially since you booked it last minute)

I know what you mean about being busy! It may be the "most wonderful time of the year" and I really do love it but it seems like when you're busy at work and busy at home, there's just no time for the Boards! I'm personally happy when updates are slow in coming on the trip report threads I'm following! (Translation: I'm soooo behind!!)

Oh, almost forgot. The Disney on Ice show looked fun. It's nice when you get some one-on-one time with one of your kids!! They grow up way too fast!!
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Loved your Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountain mini-TR! We visited Gatlinburg for the 1st time last Dec, 2011 for our son's wedding. Gatlinburg at night, during the Christmas season was great. There was a nip in the air and it really set the mood. We also ate at the Smoky Mountain Brewery and you're correct, the food and beer was great!

We're going to have to go back and see all the sights we missed. We definately will have to use your driving directions to get in and out of Gatlinburg because the traffic on Sunday leaving thru Sevierville took FOREVER!!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV F&W | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV

MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek - BCV-Oct13 (TR In Progress)
Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey - Aulani-Sep12
Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? | BLT/VWL; May2012-Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
AKV/BWV; Nov/Dec2010; No Kids; Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
OKW; May2010; DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #41
pattyw
WDW- We luv u!!

WOW!! Great pictures of great trip!! I've wanted to go to the Smoky Mts- these pictures make me REALY want to go now!

(Me) (DH) (DS20) (DS17) (Jill) (Larry) (Todd) (Riley)
WDW is our HAPPY PLACE!!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #42
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Addiction to WDW is definitely a good thing.

We rarely drive anymore, because it's an 18 to 20 hour drive down, but my favorite thing about driving down there every year was stopping at the Florida Welcome Center and getting the free orange juice.

My favorite thing about staying at POP is definitely the bus service. It is so much more efficient than any of the other resorts I've ever been at.

Cooke's of Dublin is a great choice. I love the selections there.

Love the pictures of Disney on Ice. I have to admit, as big of a Disney fan as I am, I have never been to one before.

Sounds like a great trip over Thanksgiving!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #43
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
THAT was some mini trip report!! Your pictures are absolutely goorrrggeeoouuss!!! I love those mountain views and you got some really incredible shots!! It's been a few years since I've been to Gatlinburg/Sevierville but your pictures take me right back there. You all did a lot in just a couple days. I love that there are so many great places to see and hike in the Park. You have some really nice family pics too. Great memories!! BTW, great deal on the hotel!! (especially since you booked it last minute)

I know what you mean about being busy! It may be the "most wonderful time of the year" and I really do love it but it seems like when you're busy at work and busy at home, there's just no time for the Boards! I'm personally happy when updates are slow in coming on the trip report threads I'm following! (Translation: I'm soooo behind!!)

Oh, almost forgot. The Disney on Ice show looked fun. It's nice when you get some one-on-one time with one of your kids!! They grow up way too fast!!
Thank you!! Gatlinburg is like our other Disney! We go here once or twice a year. It is Keith's escape place like Disney is for me. It does have so many wonderful places and most of it is free which makes it even better!!

I feel like I can't squeeze anything else out of a 24 hour day!! It is just crazy around here!! Which ties to the spending one on one time with your kids. I have always tried to find the time for family and treasure those special moments. Without going into too much detail, there have been a LOT of serious medical diagnosis and even deaths lately (thankfully none directly related to me but friends' relatives). A few have included ladies my age passing away right around Thanksgiving and with young children. It puts things into perspective and how important making those memories and treasuring that time really is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Loved your Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountain mini-TR! We visited Gatlinburg for the 1st time last Dec, 2011 for our son's wedding. Gatlinburg at night, during the Christmas season was great. There was a nip in the air and it really set the mood. We also ate at the Smoky Mountain Brewery and you're correct, the food and beer was great!

We're going to have to go back and see all the sights we missed. We definately will have to use your driving directions to get in and out of Gatlinburg because the traffic on Sunday leaving thru Sevierville took FOREVER!!
SMB was one great find!!

There are so many sights to see!! We want to return when things are green and warmer to do whitewater rafting. We have yet to do that! Going through Sevierville is a nightmare!! We always take exit 81 just south of Knoxville (on I75)--Lenoir City I think is the town but I am positive on the exit number. Travel that road (HWY321) to Maryville and then on towards Townsend. Once in Townsend one option is taking a left onto Wears Valley Road which carries you directly to Pigeon Forge or the way we went which is staying on 321 until it dead ends into the park and take a left on Little River Road. Mileage it is a little further but the sights are so much better than taillights and endless storefronts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyw View Post
WOW!! Great pictures of great trip!! I've wanted to go to the Smoky Mts- these pictures make me REALY want to go now!
Thank you so much!! The Smoky's are a wonderful place to visit! There is just so much to see and do! I hope you make it there one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Addiction to WDW is definitely a good thing.

Agreed!!!!!!!

We rarely drive anymore, because it's an 18 to 20 hour drive down, but my favorite thing about driving down there every year was stopping at the Florida Welcome Center and getting the free orange juice.

That would be a very long drive!! We push it with ours in one day. Flying is much better! But the costs from here to Orlando are so high sometimes! I get jealous of the prices some people in larger cities get on flights!

My favorite thing about staying at POP is definitely the bus service. It is so much more efficient than any of the other resorts I've ever been at.

Cooke's of Dublin is a great choice. I love the selections there.

Love the pictures of Disney on Ice. I have to admit, as big of a Disney fan as I am, I have never been to one before.

Sounds like a great trip over Thanksgiving!
The bus service definitely was amazing!! I wish it all was that efficient! I can't believe you haven't been to Disney on Ice before! But then you have been do DLP which totally overrules my going to DOI!! It was a wonderful Thanksgiving trip...just too short, like most get-aways are!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #44
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Wow! Your mini-trip report pictures are fantastic! We also ran into long lines of traffic in Cade's Cove. I'm talking about it took us 2 hours to go about a mile (if that far). Yay! You got to see a bear. No bears for us, just lots of deer and turkey.

I need to take notes of where ya'll stayed, ate and went so I can plan accordingly next year.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #45
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Wow! Your mini-trip report pictures are fantastic! We also ran into long lines of traffic in Cade's Cove. I'm talking about it took us 2 hours to go about a mile (if that far). Yay! You got to see a bear. No bears for us, just lots of deer and turkey.

I need to take notes of where ya'll stayed, ate and went so I can plan accordingly next year.
Thank you! This was my first trip with my new camera so I had fun playing with the different features. 2 hours is crazy! Of course it may have been that long for us but we kept pulling over and getting out. We saw lots of deer and turkeys too...forgot about the turkeys. I would try to take a picture of a turkey as we were moving (it was Thanksgiving after all! ) and Keith wouldn't move out of my way. He has gotten really good at photo-bombing...thinking it is real funny. So I would snap his picture and tell him that was okay I still got a picture of a turkey!!

We have stayed at three places in Gatlinburg that were good with decent pricing: Quality Inn Creekside, Comfort Inn Riverside and the Motel 6. There are a few others we would like to try sometime that look good from the outside. The one place I recommend staying away from for food is Blaine's! Cold, microwaved food...I cook better than what we had there (and I am not necessarily bragging on my cooking)! I saw Jesse tagged you all at Mellow Mushroom. We almost went there but the night before.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: