Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #46
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

We were on The Fantasy last month, my 10th cruise with DCL. Before that I cruised on The Magic 9 times. I liked the food on The Fantasy better, but both were good. Whenever they offered lamb, I ordered it. It was fabulous. Even the chops on the buffet when you get on the ship were yummy....But the lamb at PALO is to die for. YUM!!!

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #47
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBelle View Post
We leave next week
I just love DCL - but on our last cruise it seemed multiple dishes on the menu each night had mushrooms - and DH and I can't stand mushrooms! I tried one night ordering the pork with out the mushroom sauce, and it was so terribly bland.

I had a DD3 with us at the time who was high maintenance at meal time, so I didn't take the time to talk with the waiter much - it was a "quick, find something, eat - while attending to DD, and then get her out of the dining room so the rest of our family could eat in peace".

Do you know if the waiters will work with me on this cruise? We're leaving the kiddos at home - just me and DH!
Yes, they will work with you and they did take our special requests.
DH doesn't eat seafood, mushrooms, anything with mustard or mayonnaise.
DH used to be a waiter in his younger days. He doesn't like to "bother" the kitchen or waiters...but once they found out his likes and dislikes...it was like being back at home

WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #48
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Based on the last cruise (Fantasy) the food in the dining rooms was pretty good. Some in sore need of seasoning, but that's why we bring hot sauce. I like to order fish, most of the time they do OK with white fish like mahi mahi or sea bass. Remy is outstanding. Palo's very good.

DCL has good chicken strips. I count BBQ as dipping sauce but I'd like some honey mustard. The hot sauce comes in handy there too. The pizza is not very good. Had a cheeseburger, the cheeseburger part wasn't bad at all but the bun was pretty bad. Cabanas has some good stuff, some decent stuff and some I wouldn't eat.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #49
Kimmiebr80
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ededmd
To directly address the original post.
I have been on both DCL and NCL.
To specifically compare my experience, I think you will be overall pleased.
I thought the food was similar in quality - but I do give the edge to NCL.
The one difference was I thought the buffet on NCL was better in variety (for example the Indian / Asian section options). Also DCL does not have the crepe station.
Palo brunch however is superior to anything I had on NCL (main or for-fee / specialty).
I did miss ethnic food, but on the Magic last week, there was a crepe station!
Kimmiebr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #50
gunka
DIS Veteran

I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the dining experience. Sometimes certain items were ok and sometimes very tasty. Dinner was the best experience, being able to sit down and order (always took the servers suggestions) a multi course meal and try several different things I might not always try was a fun experience. You get what you want out of it, if you want to be picky you probably will not enjoy you meals. If you are having a great time and want to be optimistic things will taste much better.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #51
mrsfuzzmo
DIS Veteran

We liked the dining room food on the Magic. It was smaller portions than we've had on other ships, but good tasting nonetheless. What we were disappointed in was the breakfast buffet. Bland and with absolutely no imagination. It was EXACTLY the same every morning. Nothing local or exotic or themed. That was a disappointment.

The chicken strips at the pool are awesome and I had them many times on my way from the pool to the room before dinner. I had ranch sauce everytime!! (Magic in Sept.'12)
mrsfuzzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #52
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favorite Auntie View Post
We were on The Fantasy last month, my 10th cruise with DCL. Before that I cruised on The Magic 9 times. I liked the food on The Fantasy better, but both were good. Whenever they offered lamb, I ordered it. It was fabulous. Even the chops on the buffet when you get on the ship were yummy....But the lamb at PALO is to die for. YUM!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunka View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the dining experience. Sometimes certain items were ok and sometimes very tasty. Dinner was the best experience, being able to sit down and order (always took the servers suggestions) a multi course meal and try several different things I might not always try was a fun experience. You get what you want out of it, if you want to be picky you probably will not enjoy you meals. If you are having a great time and want to be optimistic things will taste much better.
It is what you make of it...we had an awesome time and will continue to book cruises on DCL. We don't have anything negative to say about the meals...at the same time there wasn't a dish that stood out to me...something I can speak of today. Though reading through these comments, I haven't been ordering the "right stuff"
However, my DS LOVED the Escargot...speaks of it still and plans to order it at least 2Xs each night.

WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #53
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

What I lke about cruising is walking in and sitting down to a table that someone else set....then eating food that someone else prepared and being served by two people getting you whatever you need....and then getting up and leaving the dishes on the table for someone else to clean up!

As far as the quality and selection of the food, I love it! My wife and I both work so meals at home are usually quick microwave stuff or we go out to eat at MickeyDs or Outback or oder Dominos. So maybe the bar is pretty low for us.

Dinner to us is about family time anyway...the food is almost incidental. ;-)
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #54
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBelle View Post
We leave next week
I just love DCL - but on our last cruise it seemed multiple dishes on the menu each night had mushrooms - and DH and I can't stand mushrooms! I tried one night ordering the pork with out the mushroom sauce, and it was so terribly bland.

I had a DD3 with us at the time who was high maintenance at meal time, so I didn't take the time to talk with the waiter much - it was a "quick, find something, eat - while attending to DD, and then get her out of the dining room so the rest of our family could eat in peace".

Do you know if the waiters will work with me on this cruise? We're leaving the kiddos at home - just me and DH!
First, the waiters should work with you. Secondly, if you tell them that you can't have mushrooms, they will prepare the various sauces, etc. for you without the shrooms. I don't lie and say it is an allergy, I just tell them that I really don't like shrooms and ask if the sauce can be prepared without it--it helps if you can make such a request the night before. You can see the next night's menu if you request that.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #55
over50visits
DIS Veteran

I fully believe that dinner in the MDR on DCL is much more than the food. It is the experience. Yes, it is mass-produced food, with the obvious compromises that produces.

However, the upscale setting, the extremely attentive service, the unusual food offerings, the willingness of most guests to dress appropriately, the vacation atmosphere....they all combine to produce an experience that is hard to match on other lines. For very good food on DCL, try Palo. For outstanding food, try Remy. For good food with a memorable experience, the MDRs are hard to beat.

Finally, the quality of the food should not be colored by your own tastes (or what some people call "picky"). Just because you don't like cream sauces doesn't mean the sauces are not good, it just means you prefer other tastes. That's important to remember.
over50visits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #56
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
I fully believe that dinner in the MDR on DCL is much more than the food. It is the experience. Yes, it is mass-produced food, with the obvious compromises that produces.

However, the upscale setting, the extremely attentive service, the unusual food offerings, the willingness of most guests to dress appropriately, the vacation atmosphere....they all combine to produce an experience that is hard to match on other lines. For very good food on DCL, try Palo. For outstanding food, try Remy. For good food with a memorable experience, the MDRs are hard to beat.

Finally, the quality of the food should not be colored by your own tastes (or what some people call "picky"). Just because you don't like cream sauces doesn't mean the sauces are not good, it just means you prefer other tastes. That's important to remember.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #57
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsg
Just a FYI on the honey mustard sauce, at least on Fantasy: we DID find it near the BBQ sauce, mustard, mayo, ketchup area, BUT it was in a plastic squirt bottle that was close to the tomatoes, lettuce, onions, etc. Now what brand was in that bottle, we have no idea.
They had packets across from Tow Mater's near the salad bar on both the Dream and the Fantasy in the past couple of months. They are kind of hard to find because they blend in with the other sauce (BBQ?). That sounds weird, but I knew they were there and passed by them at least once.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #58
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBelle
We leave next week

I hate mushrooms. It's really a psychological thing, not a flavor thing. I don't know, maybe it's the fungus thing. But I tried the black truffle purseittes in AP and they were outstanding! One of the best things I ate on the cruise...as long as I ignored the "black truffle" part and pretended they were just delicious cheese-filled purses

May or may not work for you, but I thought I'd at least sympathize with your hatred of mushrooms!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #59
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiebr80 View Post
I did miss ethnic food, but on the Magic last week, there was a crepe station!
I agree. On RCL ships there is an Asian part of the buffet and usually a couple curry dishes(I suspect some recipies brought on board by the chefs). Having toured the kitchens on a couple RCL ships and met a few chefs they do bring a Asian flare to their native cooking which I love. Plus there is a larger choice in the veggie dishes IMO. DCL is a middle of the road American fare.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #60
FlyingBelle
Official Tag Fairy Underwear Designer
"MacGyver's" her bras with duct tape and toilet paper
Frutty Pebbles doesn't taste the same with ranch dressing!

"Yes, they will work with you and they did take our special requests.
DH doesn't eat seafood, mushrooms, anything with mustard or mayonnaise.
DH used to be a waiter in his younger days. He doesn't like to "bother" the kitchen or waiters...but once they found out his likes and dislikes...it was like being back at home "

[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]"First, the waiters should work with you. Secondly, if you tell them that you can't have mushrooms, they will prepare the various sauces, etc. for you without the shrooms. I don't lie and say it is an allergy, I just tell them that I really don't like shrooms and ask if the sauce can be prepared without it--it helps if you can make such a request the night before. You can see the next night's menu if you request that."[/COLOR]

Thanks! I'll definitely talk to our waiters the first night! That's encouraging!

[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]"I hate mushrooms. It's really a psychological thing, not a flavor thing. I don't know, maybe it's the fungus thing. But I tried the black truffle purseittes in AP and they were outstanding! One of the best things I ate on the cruise...as long as I ignored the "black truffle" part and pretended they were just delicious cheese-filled purses "[/COLOR]

I made the mistake once of getting mac & cheese with truffle infusion... OMG - YUK! I couldn't eat it! It looked and smelled good, but I couldn't take the taste. Thanks for the sympathy though!
Many times as a child | Fort Wilderness Campground 1996 | Off-Property Mar 1999 | CS May 1999 | ASSp Aug 1999 | Dixie Landings Jan 2000 | Dixie Landings Feb 2001| WL Feb 2002 | Disney Wonder Cruise Jan 2003 | WL Sep 2004 | Swan Feb 2005 |WL Oct 2005 | POR - Aug 2006 | WLV - Jan/Feb 2007 | WL Family Trip - Sep 2008! Bella's first trip to Disney! | Buena Vista Suites - Dec 08 | Disneyland - Nov 2009 | Disneyland - June 2010 | POP - July 2010 Disneyland - October 2010 | ASMu & Disney Wonder December 2010 | ASMu Jan 2011| Disneyland Sept 2011 | ASMu Jan 2012 | No Kids Trip! Pirate room at CB - Mar 2012| Disneyland - April 2012| Disneyland - July 2012| Disneyland - August 2012 | ASSp - September 2012| Disney Dream 3 night cruise - Nov 2012 | Split-Stay: AKL - Feb 2014/ASMo - March 2014
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: