Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #31
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Glad to hear I am not the only one disappointed by the food. We were on the Canadian/New England cruise in September, and I was very disappointed. This was not my first cruise, nor my first cruise on the Magic. In 2010, on the Magic, I remember the food being much tastier. The menu descriptions each night were wonderful, the food was just rather bland. I enjoyed the room service cheese plate, the room service cookies and the hotdogs and cheeseburgers by the pool.
Funny how food is so very subjective....we have cruised on the Magic a dozen times, most recently in September to Canada and we thought the food on the Magic in the dining room and Palo was better than ever this time. Thought the burgers and hot dogs by the pool were sub par. Always enjoy the chicken fingers with the Honey Mustard sauce.

In total 28 DCL cruises I think I had only 3 or 4 meals that I thought could be better. I have always enjoyed the food on DCL.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

I've always found (8 cruises all 4 ships) dinner in the MDRs to be very good (Celebrity is better though). One thing I almost always do, is take our servers recommendation for the evening meal, I think this helps a lot. Just my 2 cents worth.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #33
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

Subjective it is. There are things on DCL that immediately come to mind in the "I'm ordering it" catagory. Some other things were just okay.

Found the comment regarding the steaks in the first post funny however. Did our first NCL this summer and was really disappointed by the steaks.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #34
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcat View Post
I have liked all the food. I am a stay at home mom so if I do not have to go grocery shopping, cook the food and clean up the dishes - I love it!

I hear ya!
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
Raspberry Beret
Mouseketeer

Mid-grade wedding banquet food. Good but clearly not the best.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #36
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

My DW and I did a non-traditional B2B in September. Meaning we were on the Fantasy 1-8, got off the boat and went to WDW for the day and did the Dream 9-13.

I will have to tell you that I wasn't overly impressed with the food on the Fantasy, but the Dream knocked it out of the park for me. The food was simply prepared better on the Dream.

We sail in two days on the Magic which have cruised on before, I will let you know what I think about the Magic before Thanksgiving.

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #37
lucas
°o°

On our past 2 Dream cruises, Dh and I thought the food was just so-so at best. (Our 8th DCL cruise is coming up.) I have learned on DCL, to read the menu descriptions very carefully, what things they do ok and what things to avoid. Some nights, I could easily skip the dining rooms totally - but then we would miss part of the experience.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #38
perdidobay
Will work for travel ;-)
Needs rescuing from Chunky Monkey!!!!

Re: food, you can read 3 years of trip reports here and find everything from the food is too fancy and spicy to the food is so bland and too simple. Proves it all comes down to a person's taste and what they are used to eating.

My personal opinion is the food is underseasoned in most cases, but this is understandable because outside of the adult only restaurants the food is prepared en mass so has to appeal to the average palate, including a childs.

The only thing that seems to please a lot of people are the chicken fingers, but ever since they switched to Heinz honey mustard, I have started bringing a small bottle of Kens honey mustard with me as the Heinz is nasty tasting, IMHO.

I have had many very tasty meals in my 12 cruises, and some that were just ok. The desserts to me are an area where DCL falls short.
I like my steaks rare so I tend to stay away from them on a cruise, I know they will not be cooked to my liking. I have better meals if I stick to pasta or fish dishes. DCL seems to do risotto dishes very well, again JMHO.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #39
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

Talking Food is really a subjective subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, you will find those who dislike the food. Food is really a subjective subject. What one person likes, another won't touch. You have to allow for the fact that they are not cooking specific meals for individual people (except at Palo and Remy). They are producing banquet style food for masses of people.

Personally, I think the food we've had on DCL has been in the good to great range.

There's only so much you can do with meat, chicken, and fish.

I agree totally...I believe when we compare, it's based on what we are accustomed to and exposed to.

For example DH is Greek...when we go out to dinner to a Greek restaurant, he is very picky. My cousin loves to cook. She picked a few Greek recipes off the internet and made them for her family.

She came to visit from NC... We took them out to dinner to a very good Greek restaurant where ALL of our Greek friends and family dine. My cousin said it was the worst Greek food she had ever had. My niece told her she makes it better...BTW they are Puerto Rican & Turkish... (I'm Puerto Rican as well)

Now...we live in Westchester, NY & Dine in NYC often...
To say I'm not very impressed with the food on the Dream may be unfair. But I don't think we'll dine in the rotating restaurants during Pirate Night.

WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #40
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Overall meh. The meals were better then the park food but nothing to write home about.

Palo was good and I am looking forward to trying Remy.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
ededmd
Mouseketeer

To directly address the original post.
I have been on both DCL and NCL.
To specifically compare my experience, I think you will be overall pleased.
I thought the food was similar in quality - but I do give the edge to NCL.
The one difference was I thought the buffet on NCL was better in variety (for example the Indian / Asian section options). Also DCL does not have the crepe station.
Palo brunch however is superior to anything I had on NCL (main or for-fee / specialty).
ededmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #42
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Palo was good and I am looking forward to trying Remy.
I agree with most of the posters - the food on DCL is fine, but nothing to write home about. Calling it Applebee's quality is a little harsh - in the MDR there is usually something on the menu that's going to be higher quality than Applebee's - on our last cruise I started just letting the server recommend dinner every night and he steered me to some pretty good choices.

That said, the food at Remy IS something to write home about. We thought Palo was outstanding but not one of the most memorable meals I've ever had. I would absolutely write home about Remy, and then I'd write home again about it. We thought both dinner and the champagne brunch were among the most memorable dining experiences we've ever had, each in their own special way. I cannot recommend them enough.
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #43
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLEdge View Post
I agree with most of the posters - the food on DCL is fine, but nothing to write home about. Calling it Applebee's quality is a little harsh - in the MDR there is usually something on the menu that's going to be higher quality than Applebee's - on our last cruise I started just letting the server recommend dinner every night and he steered me to some pretty good choices.

That said, the food at Remy IS something to write home about. We thought Palo was outstanding but not one of the most memorable meals I've ever had. I would absolutely write home about Remy, and then I'd write home again about it. We thought both dinner and the champagne brunch were among the most memorable dining experiences we've ever had, each in their own special way. I cannot recommend them enough.
We were not too impressed with Palo. It was good, but nothing special.

We haven't dined at Remy...we're hoping to dine there for our Anniversary.

I will try their recommendations...

WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #44
FlyingBelle
Official Tag Fairy Underwear Designer
"MacGyver's" her bras with duct tape and toilet paper
Frutty Pebbles doesn't taste the same with ranch dressing!

Any tips for a picky eater?

We leave next week
I just love DCL - but on our last cruise it seemed multiple dishes on the menu each night had mushrooms - and DH and I can't stand mushrooms! I tried one night ordering the pork with out the mushroom sauce, and it was so terribly bland.

I had a DD3 with us at the time who was high maintenance at meal time, so I didn't take the time to talk with the waiter much - it was a "quick, find something, eat - while attending to DD, and then get her out of the dining room so the rest of our family could eat in peace".

Do you know if the waiters will work with me on this cruise? We're leaving the kiddos at home - just me and DH!
Many times as a child | Fort Wilderness Campground 1996 | Off-Property Mar 1999 | CS May 1999 | ASSp Aug 1999 | Dixie Landings Jan 2000 | Dixie Landings Feb 2001| WL Feb 2002 | Disney Wonder Cruise Jan 2003 | WL Sep 2004 | Swan Feb 2005 |WL Oct 2005 | POR - Aug 2006 | WLV - Jan/Feb 2007 | WL Family Trip - Sep 2008! Bella's first trip to Disney! | Buena Vista Suites - Dec 08 | Disneyland - Nov 2009 | Disneyland - June 2010 | POP - July 2010 Disneyland - October 2010 | ASMu & Disney Wonder December 2010 | ASMu Jan 2011| Disneyland Sept 2011 | ASMu Jan 2012 | No Kids Trip! Pirate room at CB - Mar 2012| Disneyland - April 2012| Disneyland - July 2012| Disneyland - August 2012 | ASSp - September 2012| Disney Dream 3 night cruise - Nov 2012 | Split-Stay: AKL - Feb 2014/ASMo - March 2014
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #45
drsg
Mouseketeer

Just a FYI on the honey mustard sauce, at least on Fantasy: we DID find it near the BBQ sauce, mustard, mayo, ketchup area, BUT it was in a plastic squirt bottle that was close to the tomatoes, lettuce, onions, etc. Now what brand was in that bottle, we have no idea.
drsg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: