Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
gaporee
Mouseketeer

Although I mainly had issues with the food, my kids loved everything and ate a fish option every night.

My favorite meal was from Animators Palate. It was Parmesan crusted chicken with fettuccine Alfredo. It was really good!

I found most of the desserts fairly boring and bland. Not all, but most weren't that great.

All Star Movies January 2011
Pop Century October 2011
Disney Fantasy "Hurricane Sandy cruise" October 2012
Pop Century/ Disney World October 2013 before our cruise
Disney Fantasy October 2013
DCL Fantasy Oct 2014
Oasis -- October 2015
gaporee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaporee View Post
Really? There was Honey mustard behind the counter!? I asked about honey mustard and was pointed towards the ketchup and Kraft BBQ sauce (which I did use for my steak a couple of nights) Fine for the steak, not for the chicken fingers. I joked with my husband that next time I'm packing my own honey mustard or plum sauce.
Well, they had it behind the counter onthe Magic & Wonder. Don't know about the Fantasy & Dream, but I'd be upset if they didn't have it, also.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It depends on where and what it is being compared to.

I had the same entree one night in ?Animators and the next night in Topsiders--both were signature menu nights. The food was MUCH better in Topsiders, probably because they weren't serving 400 people per seating.

Compared to the school cafeteria, the ships serve amazing food. Compared to Celebrity, DCL loses.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
Candace
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear I am not the only one disappointed by the food. We were on the Canadian/New England cruise in September, and I was very disappointed. This was not my first cruise, nor my first cruise on the Magic. In 2010, on the Magic, I remember the food being much tastier. The menu descriptions each night were wonderful, the food was just rather bland. I enjoyed the room service cheese plate, the room service cookies and the hotdogs and cheeseburgers by the pool.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
quickcat
Mouseketeer

I have liked all the food. I am a stay at home mom so if I do not have to go grocery shopping, cook the food and clean up the dishes - I love it!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
mommary
DIS Veteran

My DH and I just got back from the Mexican Rivera cruise on the Wonder and we thought the food was fantastic!
I like the fact that they don't give you large portions. It allows me enough room to eat dessert every night!
mommary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

...........And did anyone mention the coffee?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #23
Kimmiebr80
Mouseketeer

In all we enjoyed the food a lot. We're all adventurous eaters and my 6yr olds ate off the adult menu each night. It was great bc we to to taste each others meals. I ordered seconds of the short rib from pirate night and the lamb in the dining room, in Palo and even in topsiders was fantastic. The Asian tenderloin we had in Animators Palate was amazing, too. I did push aside the Turbot (fish) one night, it was soooo bland. And I ordered another fish dish, I think it was grouper another night, that was in edible to the point I sent it back thinking there was something wrong with it! A few things were 'eh. But in all, we really enjoyed the food!
Kimmiebr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
aaklang
Mouseketeer

Overall, we were unimpressed. We have cruised twice before on Celebrity and found their food to be outstanding. Our food was usually good, but never great in the MDRs and acceptable to good in Cabanas. It was never bad and I certainly didn't complain while on board. But, as far as cruise ships go, Celebrity wins the food battle by a mile in my opinion.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #25
codex57
Earning My Ears

Totally subjective and it can depend on what you're comparing it to.

Disney serves relatively "fancy" food. If you're using Kraft BBQ sauce on a steak, "fancy" food is clearly not your cup of tea. NCL is definitely more your style, while someone who likes "fancy" type food would be less than enthused over. Or Carnival, of which Disney type food would fall under their "Didja" menu category.

Celebrity, being one of the more luxurious lines, can be expected to have "better" "fancy" food than Disney, because in the end and despite it's costs, Disney is still a mainstream family oriented line.
codex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #26
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I found the food in the MDRs to be just ok. Nothing exciting for the most part. The food in Palo is much better. I am not that into food so I didn't care that much and only ate at Palo twice (1 brunch and 1 dinner). I ate in the MDRs every night except Palo night and one night where my son wasn't feeling well. I enjoyed it. The food in the MDRs is mass produced while the food in Palo is made to order. It's a given that the food in Palo is going to be better. I just came off a 2 week trip and the thing I missed was variety of really good ethnic foods (i.e. Mexican, Chinese, etc) as I eat various types of ethnic food on a regular basis at home. First meal we had off the ship after disembarking was Chinese take out. The MDRs don't do ethnic foods that well but the other stuff (steak, chicken, seafood, etc.) was fine.

The food for breakfast was just ok too. Nothing to write home about (lol). My favorite meal, actually, was lunch. I ate at all of the venues and always looked forward to lunch. I thought the variety was good and somehow the food tasted better than at dinner. My favorite place for lunch was Beach Blanket Buffet (on the Wonder).

Last edited by luv2sleep; 11-08-2012 at 01:41 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #27
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husurdady View Post
...........And did anyone mention the coffee?
Could not wait to get home to my Keurig machine and coffee maker! I even brought some of those Starbuck's Via packs with me but now realize I'm just not a huge Starbuck's fan. I found the coffee in the Cove Cafe to either be over sweet and creamy or bitter needing more milk/cream. Oh well.

Some people talked about bringing a single serve, hand held French press. I might try that next time.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 11-08-2012 at 01:53 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Food is very subjective. I am not going to get into to it deeply, but after 11 cruises with DCL I have never, ever gone hungry or sent anything back. So they must be doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.

Last edited by aan1701; 11-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #29
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Some nights were GREAT, others were a little bland or misleading. My two favorite MDR meals came from AP and Lumiere's. The spicy black bean cakes were amazingly flavorful and the crispy duck was perfectly cooked! My desserts, apps, salads, soups were 50/50 good or OK. Not always the chefs fault, I didn't expect that I would like the butternut squash soup, I'm not really into sweet warm soup. But, I wanted to try things out of my comfort zone, too.

I only tried 1 of each course in each MDR. The quality of entrees appeared to vary greatly. Next time I'll try different ones. I'm convinced I must have chosen the wrong ones on some occasions. We'll see in January. I'm sure after a few cruises I'll have my menu perfected.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #30
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
I concur. Equivalent to Applebees.

But, this is a good example. My wife would rather COOK than go to Applebees. Less controversial to talk about the Presidential Election than food.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: