Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
geauxvacation1
Earning My Ears

What is your opinion of Disney cruise line food?

My husband and I were not real impressed with the food on the Magic. We have been on other cruise with ncl and the food was great! we really like seasoned and large steak portions not tiny portions Anybody dislike the food on Disney?
geauxvacation1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxvacation1 View Post
My husband and I were not real impressed with the food on the Magic. We have been on other cruise with ncl and the food was great! we really like seasoned and large steak portions not tiny portions Anybody dislike the food on Disney?
Yes, you will find those who dislike the food. Food is really a subjective subject. What one person likes, another won't touch. You have to allow for the fact that they are not cooking specific meals for individual people (except at Palo and Remy). They are producing banquet style food for masses of people.

Personally, I think the food we've had on DCL has been in the good to great range.

There's only so much you can do with meat, chicken, and fish.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, you will find those who dislike the food. Food is really a subjective subject. What one person likes, another won't touch. You have to allow for the fact that they are not cooking specific meals for individual people (except at Palo and Remy). They are producing banquet style food for masses of people.

Personally, I think the food we've had on DCL has been in the good to great range.

There's only so much you can do with meat, chicken, and fish.

You beat me to it! I totally agree with the whole post.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
2CME911
Mouseketeer

I think if you posted a poll, you'd get the classic Bell Curve with the mean centered at "acceptable, but not outstanding." We thought there were some hidden gems,though: Cove Cafe snacks among them. As with many things in life, not everything is served up to you on a silver platter, even when you think that's what you're paying for.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
gaporee
Mouseketeer

Dh and I are recently off the Fantasy. We weren't overly impressed with the food at Cabana's or in the three main restaurants. We found the food on the Carnival Dream much better. Just our opinion ofcourse !

Even simple items like pizza, hamburgers, sausage (hotdog) were not very good. It surprised me that the chicken fingers although pretty good, didn't have dipping sauce. Possible options were ketchup, BBQ sauce, or mayo.

If you aren't into fish dishes at dinner seating, the steak and chicken option are very bland.

All Star Movies January 2011
Pop Century October 2011
Disney Fantasy "Hurricane Sandy cruise" October 2012
Pop Century/ Disney World October 2013 before our cruise
Disney Fantasy October 2013
DCL Fantasy Oct 2014
gaporee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
There's only so much you can do with meat, chicken, and fish.:
I agree that when you are cooking for thousands there is not much you can do. Plus the Disney chefs don't have access to fresh ingrediants. Even when we went to Palo the scallops were bland and not very flavorful. With shellfish I believe the fresher it is the better it turns out.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
EDelashmit
Lover of anything Disney

I liked some things and disliked some, but overall it was fine. I LOVED the cookies from room service but not all the desserts in the MDRs. I loved the pizza at Goofys but not with room service...it's definitely personal preference. Certainly wouldn't keep me from doing another!!!
Disney World - All Star Music May 2011
Disney World - Port Orleans May 2009
Disney World - Wyndham September 2002
Disney World - Dolphin March 2000
Disney World - Polynesian June 1996 - Honeymoon, 1st trip ever to Disney - I was hooked from that moment on!!!
EDelashmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Well this should be a real pot stirrer of a thread!

As was said, this is a highly subjective topic. I have found the food quite good to excellent on the ten Disney cruises I've been on. I've always enjoyed the new menu items, found the selection great and have rarely been disappointed with any of the items I've ordered. Also the chance to try some new things, knowing that if I don't like them, I can oder something else, makes it fun as well.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaporee View Post
Dh and I are recently off the Fantasy. We weren't overly impressed with the food at Cabana's or in the three main restaurants. We found the food on the Carnival Dream much better. Just our opinion ofcourse !

Even simple items like pizza, hamburgers, sausage (hotdog) were not very good. It surprised me that the chicken fingers although pretty good, didn't have dipping sauce. Possible options were ketchup, BBQ sauce, or mayo.

If you aren't into fish dishes at dinner seating, the steak and chicken option are very bland.
Well, I've found that the pizza on most of the cruises I've been on (not just DCL) isn't all that great, well, except for the grape pizza at Palo brunch.

Now, as to the chicken tenders, at least on the classic ships, that's my mid-afternoon snack break (every day, every cruise). They have dipping sauce behind the counter, you do have to ask for it. I always get the honey mustard. It's Heinz variety, not great, but it will do.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
gaporee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

Well, I've found that the pizza on most of the cruises I've been on (not just DCL) isn't all that great, well, except for the grape pizza at Palo brunch.

Now, as to the chicken tenders, at least on the classic ships, that's my mid-afternoon snack break (every day, every cruise). They have dipping sauce behind the counter, you do have to ask for it. I always get the honey mustard. It's Heinz variety, not great, but it will do.

Really? There was Honey mustard behind the counter!? I asked about honey mustard and was pointed towards the ketchup and Kraft BBQ sauce (which I did use for my steak a couple of nights) Fine for the steak, not for the chicken fingers. I joked with my husband that next time I'm packing my own honey mustard or plum sauce.

All Star Movies January 2011
Pop Century October 2011
Disney Fantasy "Hurricane Sandy cruise" October 2012
Pop Century/ Disney World October 2013 before our cruise
Disney Fantasy October 2013
DCL Fantasy Oct 2014
gaporee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
carpenta
DIS Veteran

food?...as good as Applebees IMO......
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
kdecroo
Earning My Ears

Loved it.

We were on the Dream in Oct.

I was worried about the food after reading all of the dislikes on this board.

I must say, there wasn't a thing that I tried that I disliked.

Just my opinion though..

kdecroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Magic and thought the food was just ok. Nothing to write home about. Some meals were better than other. Our favorite thing was the Chocolate Chip cookies from room service

This past March we sailed on the Fantasy and thought the food was fantastic! Such a huge difference!!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I thought the food on the Fantasy was better than on the Wonder. DH thought just the opposite. go figure.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
food?...as good as Applebees IMO......
I concur. Equivalent to Applebees.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: