Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #196
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

While the finale format was interesting I was not a fan of it! For starters it felt too much like Iron Chef! Also if the formats intention was to add drama it failed massively . Once they talked to the past winners I knew Kristen one, because they didn't have enough time to show two courses! The format, not the winner, left a sour taste in my mouth!
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #197
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Well we have our first winner that came back through LCK. I think it was a good idea. It allows truly talented chefs that may not have been eliminated of their own doing to fight their way back in. Well the proof is in the pudding. Kristen belonged.

The final format was ok. It seemed sort of like "the next Iron Chef."

The choices in their helpers was interesting. When I saw them, I saw that Kristen's all lasted a long time. Brook's went out fairly early with one exception.

In the first course, CJ could have been more consistent in cooking the pig ears. 2 judges got them burnt. But apparently, Brook wanted em that way. Also with Brook's dish, I was curious as to why the egg was off to one side rather than on top so that when opened it ran right down.

Two totally different treatments on scallops. Kristen cured hers, Brook seared hers. Both looked really good. This round was close and even though the 4th round went to Kristen too, I thought that round was close too.

The blunder of the evening was Brook's choice of the third course. The judges flat out thought it didn't belong in that competition and when I heard Brook's team discussing the fried chicken I thought Uh oh. This could be the one that gets ya beat. And it was.

I thought the quality of the chefs overall this year was better than last. Any of 4 or 5 chefs from this year could have easily won last year. Only the winner of last year could have won this year.

There seemed to be less house drama this year too. All the drama was in the kitchen.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #198
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2
While the finale format was interesting I was not a fan of it! For starters it felt too much like Iron Chef! Also if the formats intention was to add drama it failed massively . Once they talked to the past winners I knew Kristen one, because they didn't have enough time to show two courses! The format, not the winner, left a sour taste in my mouth!
I didn't care for the format either. It was obvious that Kristin was going to win with the time that was left. I was happy to see two women in the finale but I would have really like to have seen Brooke win. I'm not unhappy that Kristin won but would have been happier if it were Brooke. It was good to see all the past winners together. I thought Richard had an interesting perspective when he said that he was the only one to know how they both felt.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #199
robinb
DIS Veteran

I didn't mind the live format, but I would have preferred to see all the courses and have the judges vote by ballot for each course.

Did anyone see that they kept on interviewing Hosea and other previous Top Chef winners. While they mentioned all the awards and great restaurants the others had opened up ... Hosea has a catering company! Then, look at how successful some the people he beat: Stephan, Fabio and Carla. Worst. Top Chef. Ever.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #200
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Did NOT like the format, if only because 1) they interrupted the cooking competition with way too many bios (really, you have to do a bio of all 9 past winners), flashbacks, and then when you add the commercials, you don't see much cooking. I thought it would be like Iron Chef but it wasn't.

2) when they got through with Round 4, heck, maybe even before they started Round 4, there was obviously not enough time left for Round 5...so at that point it became obvious who won, which took any suspense out of the announcement.

Sheldon won Fan Favorite.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #201
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Hated the finale format. I wanted Kristen to win, but it was so anti-climatic. Like pp said - with the time, you knew already the outcome when there was still 20 minutes left of the show.

I really really hope they go back to the way it was for the previous seasons. What a let down

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #202
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

I liked the concept of the finale, but it didn't come off very well. Aside from all the pre-taped stuff about the finalists and the bios on the past winners, there just didn't seem to be much actual cooking being shown. And like many others have said, you knew that Kristen had won in the 4th round just based on time left in the show.

That being said, Kristen clearly deserved to win this season, so I'm glad the best chef came out on top.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #203
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Not a fan of the format. Too obvious with the timing who was going to win, so it didn't make for a very exciting finale, IMO. Glad to hear that Sheldon won fan favorite -- I didn't watch WWHL.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #204
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Too many bios and commercials wasn't a function of the format itself though. I You can have too many bios and commercials in any format. I would have liked to see the last course. But had they done that and then posted the scores, it would have totally been Iron Chef. Although would that have created any more drama? Probably not. It was pretty clear course 1 was a big win for Kristen and course 3 was a huge one and that courses 2 and 4 were fairly close with Brook just barely getting a win in course 2 and Kristen once again sweeping the first 3 judges polled in course 4. I honestly thought before the show they were going to set up a 2-2 tie for drama. But to their credit, they didn't. Kristen did serve her last course though. Just not on TV. There was a total of 7 hours or so of cooking footage they could have shown. They chose not to show much of it at all.
By the way, the menus were planned by the contestants before hand and the ingredients they needed on hand.

Last edited by Cannot_Wait_4Disney; 02-28-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #205
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Would have preferred Brooke winning, but have no problems with it being Kristen.

I also thought that Last Chance Kitchen was handled much better this year and the right person won. That said while I believe it is on the up and up, part of me questions if the best QF always wins or if the "reality" aspect of a show kicks in. When Kristen faced CJ i knew Kristen would win (partly because Josie controversy) but based on the comments that Tom made that aired, I thought CJ would have won. Again I think the correct person won and the show is in the up and up, but I just have that slight amount of doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama
Not a fan of the format. Too obvious with the timing who was going to win, so it didn't make for a very exciting finale, IMO. Glad to hear that Sheldon won fan favorite -- I didn't watch WWHL.
I don't watch WWHL either, but do for TC finales. That show might be the worst show in the history of TV and Andy may be the most annoying person on TV. That show just makes my skin crawl.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #206
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
Again I think the correct person won and the show is in the up and up, but I just have that slight amount of doubt.
I also have a bit of doubt too since there is only one judge: Tom Colicchio. He could certainly choose one chef over another because of something other than the food.

Quote:
I don't watch WWHL either, but do for TC finales. That show might be the worst show in the history of TV and Andy may be the most annoying person on TV. That show just makes my skin crawl.
Shotskis! I find the show sophomoric but still somewhat entertaining on Top Chef nights. I don't know enough about the other shows and am lost when I watch it on other nights.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #207
hucifer
The tag that was here was staler than 3 yr old bread crumbs
The Van Halen song "Running with the Devil" was about my parakeet!
Smell anything? It's just my sauerkraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I didn't mind the live format, but I would have preferred to see all the courses and have the judges vote by ballot for each course.
I hated the format. This episode was focused more on the past than what they were cooking in the present; very disappointing. I agree with you that they should have shown ALL courses. The old format would have done just that and it wouldn't have been obvious at all that Kristen won ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Did anyone see that they kept on interviewing Hosea and other previous Top Chef winners. While they mentioned all the awards and great restaurants the others had opened up ... Hosea has a catering company! Then, look at how successful some the people he beat: Stephan, Fabio and Carla. Worst. Top Chef. Ever.
Yep. Noticed that too.

I was cheering for Kristen since the beginning, so I'm happy that she won. I was disappointed, however in her comment about finding her birth parents so she could see people that "looked like me." If I was her adoptive parent, that would crush me.

Top Chef is one of my favorite shows. I LOVE how the focus is on the food and not the drama.
hucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #208
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

I'd think it's something Kristen has discussed with her parents.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #209
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Is there not a thread for the new season?

I think the right person went home this week. I like that it's in New Orleans -- makes me want to go back.

I can't believe what that one Australian chef was wearing in the kitchen. Is she not concerned about dropping a knife on her foot?
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: