Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

$1,500 for a Yorkshire Terrier?

You've got to be kidding me!!!! I would have guessed $700 at the most. Last weekend at a neighborhood BBQ a lady told me she's looking for a really small dog. I told her about a friend of mine who breeds Yorkshire Terriers and she got really excited. I looked up my friend's ad on Breeders.net and she was listing them for $1,500. Good grief! I guess in her "defense" she doesn't breed them on a regular basis, and does struggle. But maybe I'm wrong. Are Yorkshire Terriers worth that much? I can see maybe spending that much on an extremely rare breed, but Yorkie's aren't rare to my knowledge. Needless to say, that lady at the BBQ will be looking elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
tennvalgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland1084 View Post
You've got to be kidding me!!!! I would have guessed $700 at the most. Last weekend at a neighborhood BBQ a lady told me she's looking for a really small dog. I told her about a friend of mine who breeds Yorkshire Terriers and she got really excited. I looked up my friend's ad on Breeders.net and she was listing them for $1,500. Good grief! I guess in her "defense" she doesn't breed them on a regular basis, and does struggle. But maybe I'm wrong. Are Yorkshire Terriers worth that much? I can see maybe spending that much on an extremely rare breed, but Yorkie's aren't rare to my knowledge. Needless to say, that lady at the BBQ will be looking elsewhere.
Ridiculous.

That isn't even a real dog
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland1084 View Post
Pro-adoption here so I can't say that I have firsthand knowledge of breeder costs. HOWEVER, 13 years ago my grandparents bought a Yorkie for around that same price. Doesn't seem super far off if you care about pedigree, blood lines, etc.

Without preaching too much, encourage your friend to check out local humane societies and shelters. Lots of small dogs there, with small price tags... and you're saving a life.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
Pro-adoption here so I can't say that I have firsthand knowledge of breeder costs. HOWEVER, 13 years ago my grandparents bought a Yorkie for around that same price. Doesn't seem super far off if you care about pedigree, blood lines, etc.

Without preaching too much, encourage your friend to check out local humane societies and shelters. Lots of small dogs there, with small price tags... and you're saving a life.
What she said.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
bittybabygrower
Mouseketeer

A good reputable breeder is not out to make a profit. They take into account the breeding (ie was the dog inseminated, etc are the parents champion line AKC registered), mama dog's care thru out the pregnancy, then the cost of the pups vet visits, shots etc. We paid 1100$ for our Chessies, but we did show them and use them in retrieving exhibitions. My parents raised and bred WireFox terriers and made little money, they did it for the love of the breed and to keep the lines pure.

So I guess you get what you pay for lol has she looked into rescue groups?
bittybabygrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Reputable breeders actively show their dogs in AKC Conformation. If a breeder does not show their dogs, they are nothing but a backyard "greeder" or a puppymill looking to make money. Stay far away from those people.

I'm the owner of 2 Maltese so I'm quite familiar with the expense of these toy dogs. Yes, they are super expensive!!! But, there are reasons for that.

Dogs in the toy group have smaller litters, frequently with only 2 or so puppies vs a large breed dog that may have 9+ puppies. With a Yorkie being so small, they are also much more succeptible to having a C-section which is $$$$. A reputable show breeder only breeds dogs to improve the breed/maintain the quality of the breed -- NOT to make money. Quality breeders will ALWAYS keep a puppy until they are 12 weeks old. If a breeder is releasing puppies at 8,9, 10 weeks, run. You will also receive a health guarantee from a reputable breeder, usually from 1-2 years. Also, a contract will be signed stating you agree to spay/neuter the dog. You will receive limited AKC registration (meaning you can NOT breed the dog you get)...show breeders do not want you breeding your dog (plus it's irresponsible to do so). Usually one (preferably both) parents will be AKC Champions.

Yorkies are prone to many health problems, especially liver shunts (due to puppymills & backyard breeders) so it's especially important to get a Yorkie from a reputable show breeder unless you plan to adopt from a shelter or rescue. My first Maltese years ago was from a backyard breeder/possible small-scale puppymill and he had a liver shunt. He died before his 2nd birthday and it was heartbreaking trying to save him. We fought so hard for him giving him meds several times per day, having to see him incontenent and stumbling into walls, and he was too sick to have surgery (which was $3,000 and certainly not a guarantee it would work) or we would have done it in a heartbeat. He's been gone for 6 years and I still miss him and it still makes me tear up thinking a bad breeder essentially caused him to die by not being responsible.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

we paid $1,200 for our dog (pure breed Pomeranian) 17 years ago...

hes still my fluffy little bro... :] worth every penny!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennvalgirl View Post
Ridiculous. That isn't even a real dog
Laughed so hard. Big dogs for the win!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

I'm not even going to get involved in a conversation of rescue vs. breeder or ethical breeder vs. backyard breeder.

In any purchase, buyer beware. However, I do feel that you just can't look at the "sticker price" and make an assumption on that. There are many variables as to the asking price.

Also, what may seem ridiculous to one may be reasonable to another.

My brother spent $60,000 on a car. To me absolutely ridiculous. No way I would have ever done that (even if I could). However, to him he is quite happy with his purchase and maybe he wouldn't spend a couple hundred on a dog.

Again, many variables when it comes to price, especially when breeding dogs. There are reputable breeders that are worth every penny. Even rescue dogs aren't cheap but they do need to subsidize their rescue group to keep it going.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

We paid that 13 years ago when we got our Yorkie.
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
GotLabradors
Missing Mr. Toad

I'm obviously a lab person. A well bred labrador can run anywhere from $1200-$3000. If you're not planning to show it or breed, why bother with pedigree? I am pro-rescue groups. I'm sure there are plenty a yorkies looking for a home.

1980 Contemporary 1984 Tree Houses 1986 FortWilderness 1998 Boardwalk Inn 1999 Grand Floridian (Oct.) 1999 Polynesian (Dec.)
GotLabradors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Laura66
DIS Veteran

We expect to pay about 2k when we get our next cavalier King Charles spaniel. When you go to reputable breeder who cares about the dogs they raise that's what it costs. They invest a lot of time and money to make sure they don't breed dogs with health problems. We got our first cavalier from a "back yard breeder" and were very lucky. He has a low grade luxating patella and shoukd it get worse you're looking at a surgery that between 700 - 1000 bucks. A good breeder will not breed dogs with health problems and find good homes for the animals he breeds healthy or not.
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

We have a pure bred dog from champion akc lineage. Our breeder breeds about every other year and does it to get champions for herself. She sells the puppies she doesn't keep for $1800. She pretty much breaks even.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

My dads toy yorkie who is a pure breed just no papers......no idea why....just had puppies and my dad was offered $$800 for one. So I believe it for a registered one.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #15
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittybabygrower View Post
A good reputable breeder is not out to make a profit. They take into account the breeding (ie was the dog inseminated, etc are the parents champion line AKC registered), mama dog's care thru out the pregnancy, then the cost of the pups vet visits, shots etc. We paid 1100$ for our Chessies, but we did show them and use them in retrieving exhibitions. My parents raised and bred WireFox terriers and made little money, they did it for the love of the breed and to keep the lines pure.

So I guess you get what you pay for lol has she looked into rescue groups?
She just adopted a dog today from a breeder. I don't remember what kind, but oh gosh it was adorable. I got to hold it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: