Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
SleepyatDVC
The Untagged
... and I wasn't wearing any pants!!!!

They were being used all over the place in Europe as a camera. So distracting!

Sep 1999 Marriott Cypress Harbor---May 2000 Liki Tiki---Nov 2001 BC---Nov/Dec 2001 OKW---March 2002 VWL---Sep 2002 BWV & BCV---Dec 2002 CR---Mar 2003 St. Thomas ---Jun 2003 VWL---October 2003 Marriott Grand Vista & HAL Cruise & Miami ---Jan 2004 OKW GV---Jun 2004 CCL Victory Canada ---Apr/May 2005 BWV & Marriott Cypress Harbor---Oct 2005 BWV---Feb 2006 OKW---Apr 2006 Miami ---August 2006 BWV---Feb 2007 VWL --Apr 2007 NCL Dawn 11 night S Caribbean Cruise --- Aug 2007 BWV/AKV --- Oct 2007 NCL Crown Bermuda --- Apr 2008 BWV/AKV --- Aug 2008 BWV/Marriott Cypress Harbor --- Feb 2009 Miami --- Apr 2009 NCL Pearl ---Aug 2009 CSR, BLT & DCL Magic --- Feb 2010 BWV --- July 2011 AKV ---June/July 2012 Italy/Turkey/Greece Celebrity Equinox --- Feb 2013 BWV --- Aug 2013 AKL --- Dec 2013 BWV/OKW

SleepyatDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
pixie921
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Anyone who holds that thing up blocking my view of a parade or show is going to get a tap on the shoulder. I have seen this at school functions and it is phenomenally rude. I can't even imagine why people do the things they do.
They do things like that because society as a whole is self-entitled and people think only of themselves. No thought is given to how one's actions might affect those around them.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
Disneyqueendenmark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment
And the picture quality with any phone camera of any sort is terrible.

The cheapest camera with an adjustable lens is miles ahead of anything with the tiny glass ball.

I was actually really suprised of how great my iPhone 4s pics turned out last Christmas at DLR... I do not own a very expensive camera, but I have two "normal" compact 10 and 12 megapixel cameras, and my iphone took way better photos at the parade and WOC

(But the phone/ipad camera is of course not as good as most cameras that cost more than $200 - I just think that the phone is handy, I have it all the time and I was very happy about the pictures)

Wouldn't bother taking my iPad with me... It's too big to take to the parks, imo
Disneyland Resort - Christmas 2011
Walt Disney World AOA & FQ - January 2013
Upcoming Disneyland trip, Christmas 2014
Disneyqueendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
Disco
Hail Eris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyqueendenmark View Post
I was actually really suprised of how great my iPhone 4s pics turned out last Christmas at DLR... I do not own a very expensive camera, but I have two "normal" compact 10 and 12 megapixel cameras, and my iphone took way better photos at the parade and WOC

(But the phone/ipad camera is of course not as good as most cameras that cost more than $200 - I just think that the phone is handy, I have it all the time and I was very happy about the pictures)

Wouldn't bother taking my iPad with me... It's too big to take to the parks, imo
There are some decent phone cameras. I betting your 4s lens is brighter and lets more light in than your cheap cameras.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
blakrose9999
Mouseketeer

was in Vegas this past fourth of July and there were tons of people lugging them around as cameras. I just didn't get it. I got nervous when my husband was using his phone to take pics from the effiel tower.

flowers, gardens, star wars, food and wine... My 1st pre-trip report
blakrose9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynypixie View Post
We will be bringing the Ipad, for the disney experience app (doesn't have it on my android), but I made my husband promise to NOT take pictures with it.
Why not? It would be much more convenient.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #22
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

After reading about how great a camera the iPhone has I needed to try it for myself. Not with a snapshot but with a real photograph and compared to a decent (but not really expensive) camera. The photos below were taken within a minute of each other, one with an iPhone5, the other with a Panasonic G3 (less than $500).

The iPhone does ok, actually very good for what it is but it is not even close to a real camera. I will continue to carry my G3 (or whatever) at WDW.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
DreamBigLiveGrand
Earning My Ears

Even if they do take good pictures (which I have heard they do), I don't think I would want to carry something that expensive. I would worry about it breaking or being stolen. That's why I don't really bring an expensive smartphone with me to the parks. I just bring a simple phone for emergencies.

Last edited by DreamBigLiveGrand; 11-08-2012 at 04:59 PM.
DreamBigLiveGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
GeneralTso
DIS Veteran

I see this so many places now and I just shake my head. I don't get it, truly. It's so big, so bulky, the pictures aren't that great.

I have an iPad--LOVE the thing. I wouldn't take it while on vacation, touring.

We had some doofus in front of us on a tour boat in Paris. Holding that damn thing up. Finally I held my camera up and took a picture of them and their iPad. They looked surprised but they left. Did not stand in front of us the rest of the tour. They were part of a large touring group, pretty much annoying on many levels but the iPad photographers just got ridiculous. I can only handle so much rude and selfish. I hit tilt.
GeneralTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #25
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Used to be true.
Not so much anymore, especially with the newer Apple products.

Check HERE.
Yes, iPads can take good pictures. The iPad 3 can take some good ones, but is kind of awkward to use. I have an iPad 3; have not seen the iPad 4 yet, but have read it has a better camera than the previous versions.
Here's another website with iPad 3 pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Can you take a good picture with an iPad? Yes.
Is the Ipad a good camera? No.
I think even the latest iPad is still using a 1/4" 5MP sensor. Most point and shoot cameras have a sensor around 3 times bigger. There is no comparison in quality.
Also the iPad has a fixed lens, so no zooming.
Really no point in comparing it to a camera…
It would surprise me to see people lugging an iPad around for taking pictures. I would think it might be more they just happened to be using it and there was a picture they wanted to take.
Frankly I can't imagine lugging one of those things into a park regardless of an app or not. Way too big. However the new minis would be much better suited, so probably see those around a lot more. I think they have the same small camera sensor though so they still wouldn't be a very good camera.
You can zoom. You use two fingers on the screen to zoom in or out.

We just got back and I saw people using iPads and other tablets to take pictures.
I saw people taking pictures with an iPhone and apparently sending them directly to the iPad to view. You could do that with wifi or with a cellular connection. I also saw several people who were apparently visually impaired using the iPad as their camera. Because of the large size, they could take and see their photos.

My youngest DD uses an iPad as her communication device because she can't speak. We had the iPad in a very protective silicone case with a hand strap and a shoulder strap. So, her iPad was pretty well protected.
What really surprised me was the nu bet of people I saw carrying an iPad or other tablet around with a very light duty case, and even a few carrying it around with no case on at all.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #26
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
After reading about how great a camera the iPhone has I needed to try it for myself. Not with a snapshot but with a real photograph and compared to a decent (but not really expensive) camera. The photos below were taken within a minute of each other, one with an iPhone5, the other with a Panasonic G3 (less than $500).

The iPhone does ok, actually very good for what it is but it is not even close to a real camera. I will continue to carry my G3 (or whatever) at WDW.
Was the photo on the right the one taken with the real camera? It just seems sharper and the color saturations are better.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
SkaGoat
DIS Veteran

I think the photo on the left is the Panasonic G3, it's sharpers, better colour, and overall has a better exposure level.
SkaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
mamajo
Mouseketeer

When we were at Animal Kingdom last week, Birds of Flight, the family in front of us kept holding their Ipad up to take pictures and blocking our view of the. Show--I finally had to ask them to quit. I thought it was overkill to drag the thing around to take pics.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #29
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
I think the photo on the left is the Panasonic G3, it's sharpers, better colour, and overall has a better exposure level.
You win!

The iPhone really blows out the highlights yet blocks up the shadows too. The tiny sensor just can't handle a scene with this kind of dynamic range. The iPhone was even set to HDR mode, which helps with highlights but can only do so much.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #30
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
Yes, iPads can take good pictures. The iPad 3 can take some good ones, but is kind of awkward to use. I have an iPad 3; have not seen the iPad 4 yet, but have read it has a better camera than the previous versions.
Here's another website with iPad 3 pictures.

You can zoom. You use two fingers on the screen to zoom in or out.

We just got back and I saw people using iPads and other tablets to take pictures.
I saw people taking pictures with an iPhone and apparently sending them directly to the iPad to view. You could do that with wifi or with a cellular connection. I also saw several people who were apparently visually impaired using the iPad as their camera. Because of the large size, they could take and see their photos.

My youngest DD uses an iPad as her communication device because she can't speak. We had the iPad in a very protective silicone case with a hand strap and a shoulder strap. So, her iPad was pretty well protected.
What really surprised me was the nu bet of people I saw carrying an iPad or other tablet around with a very light duty case, and even a few carrying it around with no case on at all.
The zoom you are describing is DIGITAL zoom. "Real" cameras have OPTICAL zoom, which moves the lens in for a closer high quality shot. Digital zoom cannot move the lens, therefore, you get a closer shot, but the quality falls off.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: