Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
tiffany0610
Mouseketeer

Getting in at Ohana

I've been checking multiple times a day for WEEKS now. If nothing opens up, do you think we could show up before they start serving and get our name in and not have to wait long??

We will be there the week AFTER Thanksgiving
tiffany0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
greengeen
Mouseketeer

I don't think they will accept walk ins and you will be very disappointed if you try this. Most folks make their reservation 6 months in advance.
greengeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

Why is Ohana's so popular?? We go to Disney World twice a year and have never been. Should we try it??? How's the food?
Nancy
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Quin
DIS Veteran

OP: Disney restaurants do not hold back any tables for walk-ups, and Ohana is now one of the places that charges you $10 per person if you are a no-show or don't cancel at least 1 day before your ADR. Check the ADR system one last time the night before you'd like to eat there but if there are no tables available, then there really are no tables available and trying a walk-up is just going to waste your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
Why is Ohana's so popular?? We go to Disney World twice a year and have never been. Should we try it??? How's the food?
Nancy
The food is good and the theming is great; a very tropical vibe. It is a single TS credit. When you are seated you are given bread and then a green salad and 2 appetizers (chicken wings and pot stickers) are brought to your table, plus dipping sauces. Servers are constantly circulating with skewers of beef, pork, chicken, and shrimp that are being cooked over the open fire in the center of the restaurant. Whenever you are ready, get some from a passing server and enjoy. When you can't possibly eat any more they bring you what I think is one of the best desserts in WDW: a big bowl of bread pudding topped with ice cream and a pitcher of warm bananas Foster sauce to pour over it. It may sound a bit dorky but trust me: it's wonderful. Periodically through the night an entertainer comes out; sings a bit and gets the kids up to roll coconuts or do a limbo contest.

If you eat very early it's convenient to hop on the monorail to go back to MK; if you eat during the evening it's popular to go down to the Poly beach afterwards and watch the Electric Water Pageant and then Wishes. Some tables in the restaurant actually get at least a partial view of Wishes, so they dim the lights and pipe in the music, but you can't count on being able to see from where you sit and unlike Cali Grill there is no outdoors observation area.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
OP: Disney restaurants do not hold back any tables for walk-ups, and Ohana is now one of the places that charges you $10 per person if you are a no-show or don't cancel at least 1 day before your ADR. Check the ADR system one last time the night before you'd like to eat there but if there are no tables available, then there really are no tables available and trying a walk-up is just going to waste your time.

The food is good and the theming is great; a very tropical vibe. It is a single TS credit. When you are seated you are given bread and then a green salad and 2 appetizers (chicken wings and pot stickers) are brought to your table, plus dipping sauces. Servers are constantly circulating with skewers of beef, pork, chicken, and shrimp that are being cooked over the open fire in the center of the restaurant. Whenever you are ready, get some from a passing server and enjoy. When you can't possibly eat any more they bring you what I think is one of the best desserts in WDW: a big bowl of bread pudding topped with ice cream and a pitcher of warm bananas Foster sauce to pour over it. It may sound a bit dorky but trust me: it's wonderful. Periodically through the night an entertainer comes out; sings a bit and gets the kids up to roll coconuts or do a limbo contest.

If you eat very early it's convenient to hop on the monorail to go back to MK; if you eat during the evening it's popular to go down to the Poly beach afterwards and watch the Electric Water Pageant and then Wishes. Some tables in the restaurant actually get at least a partial view of Wishes, so they dim the lights and pipe in the music, but you can't count on being able to see from where you sit and unlike Cali Grill there is no outdoors observation area.
Sounds good. I'll have to put this on my list for my next Dec. trip. Or re-think one of my April res.
Thanks.

Last edited by Nancy F; 11-07-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: add
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
floridagirl61
Mouseketeer

I love 'Ohana. Here is a pic of the dessert that a PP described so well

Pure Heaven

TO MANY DAY TRIPS TO COUNT, SENIOR NIGHT '79, WL '96, CS '00, ASMU '07, ASMU '08, POP '09, POP '10, BW CL '10, ASMU '11, BC VILLAS '13, BC CL '13, AOA '13, BC CL '14 (Magical upgrade to the Presidential Suite)
Presidential Suite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhh5Z6bjjg

Our Best Disney Vacation Yethttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178111

Fifield Family Food Reviews and Pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3175535
floridagirl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
bcvprincesses
DIS Veteran

We really wanted to eat there in September so we showed up at 5pm and waited in the standby line. We were told that there are usually a few table every night that are open but they wouldn't know until about 5:30. They told us that they only take walk ups as soon as they open and only if there is a table open. At about 5:30 we were told there were three tables of eight available so we asked the family in line with us if they wanted to share a table. We ended up having a great time!
bcvprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

When I went to WDW the first week of Oct., it was surprising to see how many popular restaurants, including 'Ohana, became available as I got a couple days away from my trip. People tend to cancel ADRs within a day so they don't have a cancellation fee so don't give up. We love 'Ohana. It's our favorite meal at WDW.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR, 2/15 (not sure which resort yet)

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH, 2/15 (not sure which resort yet)
CareHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

Okay!!! You guys talked me into it!! LOL. I just made a reservation for Ohana's for April 20TH.

Thanks,
Nancy
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany0610 View Post
do you think we could show up before they start serving and get our name in and not have to wait long??

We will be there the week AFTER Thanksgiving
When we ate at 'Ohana last week there was a line for walk ups at the check in podium before the restaurant opened. I don't know how long they had to wait for a table or if any were available that evening.

I would keep looking online, be flexible about the day and the time. You can continue checking even after arriving at DW.

You can also subscribe to the November cancellation thread on the Dining Reservations board.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F
Okay!!! You guys talked me into it!! LOL. I just made a reservation for Ohana's for April 20TH.

Thanks,
Nancy
We love it! The food was good and it was a lot of fun!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Mazz519
DIS Veteran

one of the best restaurants in WDW... Great for kids and adults....It is one of our never miss restaurants.
Mazz519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

'Ohana

Maybe I shouldn't bring this up, but last October we were having so much fun at MK that we didn't want to go to our ADR at Boma. The CM at guest services said, "are you sure, it's really good?" I said that I'm sure it was, but DD was having a ball and I didn't have the heart to yank her away. So, he started looking around for us and found an 'Ohana at 5. It was 4. So, it's worth going to guest services and have them look about for you! I had misgivings about 'Ohana because of the 'hype' but I was happily surprised. The theming is great and it is a carnivore's dream. If you have blood sugar issues, keep a monitor because the food is loaded with carbs, even though there are lot of meats - the marinades get you and the desserts, breads, and also those delightful noodles!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Iadoreeeyore
Earning My Ears

We love Ohana as well. Finally got a ressie for December 4th for 8 people. It is at 8:10pm so it might be a little bit later then we are used to but it is well worth it!

Off Property 5/1990, CBR 2/1994, CBR 5/2006 (Disneymoon), Off Property 12/2011 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), DYC 5/2012 (Pop Warner Scholastics Banquet) , Off Property Emerald Isle 12/2012 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), Off Property Emerald Isle 12/2013 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), 2014???

Iadoreeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post

Thanks,
Nancy
Just want to warn you that late-November, early-December has become much more crowded the last couple of years. So I wouldn't get your hopes terribly up. And if you're going to try to go standby, get there waaaaaaay before the restaurant opens, there WILL be a line. Good luck!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: