Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Just curious, if you had $500 extra...

..where would you spend it?

With check-in date approaching I have been thinking about this. I have an extra $500 saved and would like to do one of the following. I wondered if more seasoned travellers than I could lend their thoughts as to which of the following they would choose.
I would like to do them all, but that's not an option!

1) Upgrade from oceanview to verandah?

2) Port excursion in Cozumel? (Had been thinking The Amazing Cozumel race)
or
3) A cabana at CC, if I can get one at 90 days.

FYI we're on a 5-night from Miami.

I'm leaning towards the cabana, but last time we were so active on the island that i'm worried we won't spend enough time there.

If you have any thoughts i'd be happy to hear them.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

The verandah cabin.

In Cozumel, I like to get a cab to Nachicocoom and have a couple hours sipping fruity drinks on the beach, so I wouldn't be doing that excursion.

On Castaway Cay, I like to find a hammock and have a couple Konk Koolers with my friends and family - we wouldn't all fit in a cabana, so that's out.

Really, though - more than the room, the excursion, OR the cabana, I would opt for shipboard credit I could spend on internet, fruity drinks, more PALO, shopping and photos.
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
MySecondHome
Never Grow Up !

I have been on several cruises....I get the inside staterooms now because of the virtual view. The total amount of time on my last verandah was almost an hour ( this was on a 4 day cruise )!!
I would opt for the excursion in another country. How often are your eyes going to be able to witness another land? IMHO.

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

Wonder 04/2009...Wonder 11/2009...Wonder 12/2009...Wonder 10/2010...Dream 03/2011...Magic 10/2011...Magic 04/2012...Dream 09/2012...Dream 10/2012 Cruise #10 Jan 2013!!...Cruise #11 Oct 2013!!

MySecondHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
The verandah cabin.

In Cozumel, I like to get a cab to Nachicocoom and have a couple hours sipping fruity drinks on the beach, so I wouldn't be doing that excursion.

On Castaway Cay, I like to find a hammock and have a couple Konk Koolers with my friends and family - we wouldn't all fit in a cabana, so that's out.

Really, though - more than the room, the excursion, OR the cabana, I would opt for shipboard credit I could spend on internet, fruity drinks, more PALO, shopping and photos.
Thank you, I appreciate your insight. I hadn't thought about that. We didn't spend much onboard last time, but maybe our second cruise will be more relaxing! I see more drinks by the adult pool in my future!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
darwinsrule
Mouseketeer

Keep the OV, drop part of the money into a dummy booking while on board. My wife would tell me to upgrade however. Actually 50/50 on whether she would have let me book an OV in the first place.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

For me, it would be either the verandah cabin or the cabana on CC.

But I will say that when we had the cabana, I was regretting having booked an excursion also because I felt like I was away from the cabana too much. But my Mom used it the entire time so it was worth every penny having it for her. It made her day much better (compared to our first stop at CC, when we didn't have one). So if you plan on a lot of activities on your CC day, then I would suggest spending the money on the verandah room instead.

Just my thoughts since both of those things rank high on my list
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinsrule View Post
Keep the OV, drop part of the money into a dummy booking while on board. My wife would tell me to upgrade however. Actually 50/50 on whether she would have let me book an OV in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
For me, it would be either the verandah cabin or the cabana on CC.

But I will say that when we had the cabana, I was regretting having booked an excursion also because I felt like I was away from the cabana too much. But my Mom used it the entire time so it was worth every penny having it for her. It made her day much better (compared to our first stop at CC, when we didn't have one). So if you plan on a lot of activities on your CC day, then I would suggest spending the money on the verandah room instead.

Just my thoughts since both of those things rank high on my list
Thank you so much!
All great food for thought.
Hadn't thought about the dummy booking...Hmm.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySecondHome View Post
I have been on several cruises....I get the inside staterooms now because of the virtual view. The total amount of time on my last verandah was almost an hour ( this was on a 4 day cruise )!!
I would opt for the excursion in another country. How often are your eyes going to be able to witness another land? IMHO.

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards
Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
I agree - I really want to do something in Cozumel with the kids. I have some economical explore-on-our-own plans if we don't do an arranged excursion.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I'd definitely go with the dummy booking.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Book another cruise!

I've spent as little as $800 for the two of us, so that's practically another cruise.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Excursion.

We got a free upgrade to a Verandah, used it, but agreed we didn't like it enough to pay for it.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Keep saving it for the future.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
holula
DIS Veteran

Put it as a deposit for another cruise.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!)
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2014 Southern, 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
I'd definitely go with the dummy booking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Book another cruise!

I've spent as little as $800 for the two of us, so that's practically another cruise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Excursion.

We got a free upgrade to a Verandah, used it, but agreed we didn't like it enough to pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
Keep saving it for the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
Put it as a deposit for another cruise.
Thank you everyone.
I think I won't book another one. Only because 2014 is a family reunion to WDW and 2015 we'll be travelling with my Husband's work.

Maybe I will just use it to start the 2014 holiday fund!
Thanks again

Old 11-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

I've always booked porthole rooms. The cruise we just got off Sunday, we had a FL rate verandah for $650 less than our original porthole room. The verandah was nice, but I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

I would probably save the money for a future trip.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: