Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
linnylu
Mouseketeer

BW or Contemporary?

I am planning a trip with my 2 children ages 10 and 14 for the week after Easter. My kids have never been to Disney. I have and stayed at CBR. I am trying to decide between the Boardwalk and Contemporary. Which would be better for kids their ages? I love the idea of walking to Epcot, but do kids like Epcot or would they prefer the monorail to MK?

A third option is POFQ. I am having the hardest time deciding, and since my DH isn't going he doesn't want to talk pros and cons with me
linnylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Hi!

Both of the resorts you are considering are in great locations. Where do you think you would spend the most time at - MK or EPCOT. Usually its MK - but that can depend on your kids.

From Contemporary you know you can use the monorail to get to MK. You can also take the monorail to the POLY and go to the TTC in order to get to EPCOT.

From the BW - you have a 5 min walk to EPCOT and you can also walk/take a boat to HS. The EPCOT resort area really has a lot of fun options.

If it were me picking i would pick a MK resort area (in your case Contemporary), just because that is my favorite park.

I think you could be happy with either choice. It really depends on where you want to spend most of your time when you are there.

Good Luck deciding - and Have a great trip!

-FantasiaMagic
-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
MEK
DIS Veteran

Just got back from the Boardwalk. It was my second stay there and I absolutely love the resort. The location is so convenient to Epcot and HS. You really can't go wrong.

The Contemporary is also nice, but there is something very magical and fun about the whole Boardwalk area.

I would decided where you think the kids will want to spend most of their time - HS/Epcot or MK and decide that way.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Our boys are ages 5, 12 and 13. We like both BWI and CR. Our boys prefer and would recommend Contemporary. They like Epcot and the Epcot area resorts (BC is their favorite among those for the pool and the general atmosphere.) But at this point, they prefer the monorail and proximity to MK, so CR and Poly are at the top of their lists. I like CR because it offers such easy access to MK, the rooms are large, the decor is updated, the bay lake view is beautiful and I just love club level there.

My husband and I prefer BWI. We like Epcot, the Epcot resort area, the non-high rise resort layout and the theming at BWI. We like walking around Crescent Lake and the access to BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin shopping and restaurants. Club level at BWI is wonderful. We have tons of ADRs in Epcot and it's so much easier to walk out the International Gateway after dinner to our resort than to take the monorail to the TTC and transfer to the resort monorail to the Contemporary.

In the end, we've found the best solution is a split stay. We stay at an MK area resort when we're visiting MK and AK. Then we move to an Epcot area resort when we're spending more time in Epcot and DHS. Some people don't like to move, but it works for us!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
gojoe
DIS Veteran

This is tough. My parents took me to the Contemporary when I was 13 (1973). It holds a special place in my heart.

The Boardwalk now has a place there too.

We have been going there for 6 years now our girls were 10 & 11 then. I think it will always be there special place for them. It was the first place they went on their own. The Boardwalk with us watching from our Balcony.
They love being able to go down watch a street performer or play a carny game or hit the candy store.

What every choice you make all of you will make Magical Memories.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnylu View Post
I am planning a trip with my 2 children ages 10 and 14 for the week after Easter. My kids have never been to Disney. I have and stayed at CBR. I am trying to decide between the Boardwalk and Contemporary. Which would be better for kids their ages? I love the idea of walking to Epcot, but do kids like Epcot or would they prefer the monorail to MK?

A third option is POFQ. I am having the hardest time deciding, and since my DH isn't going he doesn't want to talk pros and cons with me
For kids of that age, I would go with an Epcot resort. We stay at the BW often so it gets my vote.

If you decide to go with the Contemporary, there is still a lot going for it being on the monorail line and the walkway to the MK. It's classic Disney.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
minzaina
Earning My Ears

Stayed at Contemp. In Nov. '11 and while rooms were wonderfully large and well appointed we were surprised how any benefit we received from being on the monorail was negated by how far our room was from the main area of hotel. We had to take 2 different elevators and walk about 15-20 (no kidding!!) to get to our room.

~Monica

WDW: 4/82, 12/87, 8/91, 4/92, 3/95, 5/03, 11/11, 12/12 & 11/14
minzaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
disneyag
DIS Veteran

I think either would be good, but if you plan to spend most of your time at the MK, then the Contemporary wins. When my son was 10, we stayed there and he loved the fact that the monorail runs right through the hotel.

June 2014 AKL June 2013 Poly
June 2011 Poly CL June 2010 Poly
June 2009 AKL CL Dec 2007 WL CL
Oct 2006 Poly June 2006 CR
June 2005 AKL Oct 2004 WL
June 2004 AKL June 2002 Poly
Sept. 2001 Poly CL June 1999 Poly
1997 BC
1992 BC
1974 Poly
disneyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
a11ie
"I only hope that we Do Not lose sight of one thing -- That it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

The Boardwalk is absolutely more entertaining than the contemporary. The Contemporary is convenient to walk to the Magic Kingdom, but that is really the only thing your kids will probably enjoy about it. The BW has a more upbeat atmosphere if you're looking for something your kids will enjoy away from the parks. And it's an easy 5-10 minutes from Epcot and HS. They have shows at night, musicians, magicians, carnival type "games" on the boardwalk. You can also catch the fireworks from EPCOT at night in the right place.

We LOVE it there. My 3 year old just came back from an 8 day trip with my parents and the BW was probably one of his most favorite parts.
Dec '92.(US trip)_____Nov '93 (offsite)
Dec '94 (Dixie Landing)_____Sep '95 (BC)
Disneyland '96______Oct '97 (??)
Nov '99 (DL)_____May '00 (BWV)
May '01 (S&D)______Nov '01 (POR, BWV)
Disney Cruise '02______May '03 (BWV)
Oct '04 (BWV)______Sep '06 (BWV)

My DS FIRST trip at 14mo Nov '10 (BWV)
Had 2nd, surprise, trip with Grandma and Papa Oct '12 (BWV)
Planning to go back Sep '13. (BLT&BWV)
ME DS
a11ie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: