Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Gdes1
Mouseketeer

Please help me pack for dining with 10 month old

If you have cruised recently with a baby, I have some questions!

My search reveals that some recommend bringing jars of baby food onboard (which would be a huge hassle for us on a 14-night cruise and/or really expensive with that service), but others say the servers will bring pureed fresh food to the table for babies. So, which is it?

We do organic at home, but I'm flexible when we are out. Baby DD seems to like everything, but bananas do not seem to work well for her from a digestion standpoint. So, if banana is the main offering, we need to pack food.

But, if all of the dining rooms offer pureed fruits and veggies at every meal, then I think we will be OK. I might buy a small hand-grinder for other things. She likes yogurt and we can break up bread for her. I will pack bibs, spoons and her tippy cup as well as soap to wash these things in our stateroom.

The only problem is that she is used to eating off of a tray on her high chair. My memory is that the high chairs onboard are like the kind in restaurants, without a tray. I have a ton of those disposable sticky placemats, but they do not work if there is a table cloth. She loves dropping things on the floor, so even a plastic plate won't work. Do we just have to keep her food on the table and feed it to her?

Any help is appreciated.
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I will try to help where I can. I have yet to sail Disney, so I'm not sure on the specifics of Disney providing purees. If I were you, I would bring a hand grinder so that you can mix up what you want and when you want it. This is likely to be easier and quicker in many cases than having to wait for someone to do this for you (especially when dining outside of the dining room).

We traveled with DS for his 1st birthday and by this point he was not eating purees, but we still had the problem of him pulling the table cloth/plates/ect. I just fed him by off my plate or I placed one piece of bread at a time in front of him on the table. I brought a small placemat to put the food on, but never put more than a bite or two at a time on it.

You will absolutely need to pack sealed babyfood for whenever you plan to leave the ship. Fresh fruits & veggies are not allowed off of the ship and this would included homemade babyfoods. This may be just me, but I didn't feed my son anything off of the ship that I didn't bring with me.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

DD was 15 months when we cruised with her the first time and she had most of her teeth, so we didn't end up needing to ask for special food. However, I'm sure you could ask them to steam her vegetables extra long and mash them yourself, if they will not puree them. I don't see why they wouldn't, they are willing to a lot of different things for all ages.

The yogurt we encountered onboard was the Light and Fit variety. We didn't feed DD any yogurt partly because I wasn't sure what kind of sweetener might be used in it and mostly because she enjoyed the scrambled eggs and fresh fruits on the buffet in the morning.

For emergency hunger situations we always have organic baby food pouches. They are great for traveling close and far from home. We used them instead of baby jars pretty much her whole life. She can hold them and suck the food right out, when she was younger we held them and helped to squeeze the food upward. We also packed other prepackaged baby snacks from Plum Organics and Happy Baby.

An as for the table cloth, we figured DD wasn't the first baby or child making a mess on them. She did try to pull the table cloth up the first meal in a dining room, only to find what looked like a nice fold out table! haha! So, I didn't worry much about the mess she made. DD was also in the throw the plate stage. We just kept a close eye or hand on her plate when she was eating. Usually her food came out in between our courses.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Davids-Coco
Sometimes my inner monologue isn't so inner

We had a 10 month old with us on our last trip. They pureed for us. It was usually a veggie of some sort: squash, zucchini, carrot. I would HIGHLY suggest tasting it first. There was one night that the puree was soooo salty that the baby wouldn't eat it. They also brought out very soft foods and crackers to try. It's a great opportunity to give them new tastes (especially if there isn't a concern of allergies).
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
ljhayes
Mouseketeer

We cruised when DS was 7 months. We also are pretty strictly organic and clean eating, so I had to make myself let go of that for sure. But beyond that, we had no problems finding foods for him. There were usually a couple things with each meal that he would try, and the servers were great when we asked for things pureed or without toppings/extras. I don't recall ever asking for anything and being told no. And as the week went on they started bringing things they knew he liked before we would have to ask. I will caveat the whole thing, though, by saying that he was still being breastfed and had only been eating solids at all for a couple months, so I wasn't overly concerned if he didn't eat a lot.

WDW: 6/93-Offsite, 8/96-CBR, 4/00-Magic Music Days, 10/02-Offsite, 1/04-POP, 8/04-ASMovies, 1/06-POP, 5/06-POR, 11/06-POP, 5/07-POR/GF, 8/07-POP, 1/08-ASSp, 2/09-POP, 10/10-CR, 5/11-SSR, 11/12-BCV, 2/13-Offsite, 5/13-AKV, 8/13-Offsite, 10/13-Offsite, 5/14-BWV
DL: 4/05-DL Hotel
DCL: 8/04-Magic-Western, 6/07-Magic-Med, 1/08-Magic-Eastern, 10/10-Magic-Eastern, 5/12-Wonder-Alaska, 12/12-Fantasy-Eastern
DFTW: 5/07-Wedding-WP/Napa/CG/Fantasmic, 5/12-Vow Renewal-Wonder
ljhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

We are leaving on Sunday with our 10 m/o for a 4-night cruise. We are packing all Plum, Happy Baby, etc. pouches - enough for every meal while we are gone. This way, whenever the baby wants to eat, the food is there and ready. If it turns out that we use the pureed food more than we expect, we'll just bring the extra pouches home. We decided it would be a much better use of our time to not have to worry about finding food when the baby was hungry.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

My kids are 15 and 16, so a long way since the high chair stage. However, in a restaurant recently I saw a family put down a 'placemat' that was more like a tray. It was made of that rubbery, slightly sticky stuff that they sometimes make potholders out of, or jar openers. I thought it was very cool because it was bigger than most, could be rinsed under the faucet, and rolled up in the diaper bag.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58
My kids are 15 and 16, so a long way since the high chair stage. However, in a restaurant recently I saw a family put down a 'placemat' that was more like a tray. It was made of that rubbery, slightly sticky stuff that they sometimes make potholders out of, or jar openers. I thought it was very cool because it was bigger than most, could be rinsed under the faucet, and rolled up in the diaper bag.

Nancy
I believe that you are referring to the Summer Infant Tinydiner. It is AWESOME! About $11 at Babies R Us.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I don't have an infant any more, but I have seen them do pureed foods for babies on the ship. Tell the server that you want the veges cooked with no salt or additives and they will do that for you. You are welcome to bring baby food, but there is no need. They can also do things like a pureed peach, obviously they have apple sauce, so no way you can have only banana. The beverage station has 2% milk, but the buffets will have cartons of whole milk (which many pediatricians recommend for brain development if not breast feeding). You can take some from the buffet back to your room fridge/cooler where it keeps fine if you put a cup of ice in the cooler. Your server will supply it at the dining rooms, but good luck with room service--they don't always understand what kind of milk you want.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
Mel0215
Mouseketeer

Location: Florida- I can see the ships every time they are in port!

We sailed with DS, 6 months, in may and they puréed sweet potato an also apple for us. (Not applesauce) so they will do anything you ask for. I brought other foods for lunch and breakfast too. But there's plenty of little finger foods too.
DCL: Magic May 23, 2009; Magic Nov. 14, 2009
Wonder May 16, 2010; Wonder PCC 2.0
Dream: Feb. 6, 2011
Fantasy: May 2012
Mel0215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Nikisha421
i'm the mom thats hoping and praying that my Disney Princess never grows too old for all things Disney...here's to Disney LOVE

all such good information to know as we will also be traveling with a 10 month old

Nikisha421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
sdKT
wonder 9.25.11

we went with our 9mos old.
I did order food thru babylite (ya $$) and also packed some jars with us. it was just a lot more convenient esp if u go off ship/walk around the stops/excursions.
yes at dinner they woudl bring us like mashed potatoes, something purreed,
No tray - unless u want to take a portable high chair that sits on areg. chair with u, with a tray but ya its bulky.
i put food either on a plate (if its plastic and throwable)
or straignt onto the tablecloth. not ideal.
gave him yogurt, pieces of bread, soft food that we ate like say cooked fish.
Formula.
i brought the applesauce pouches with us, too.
ANy specific qs, pls ask. we are now going again, hes 22 mos.
sdKT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: