Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #76
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I don't think Pink Floyd is appropriate music to be blaring at children.

Those of us who were born in the 60s pretty much grew up listening to that. Not sure it's more inappropriate than the latest Justin Bieber hit.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #77
MmmmDisney.
It's a real chip ∨ ∨

We love the parties!! It's one of our favorite things to do at the resort! My kids loooove it!! They are 12 and 9, so we kinda let them play and have a little freedom, while DH and I have a couple cocktails and just relax watching them have a good time! In my experience it's always been Disney channel/movie themed music (think... Disney Radio) and I never have had a problem with it. I can see after a while it may become annoying to those there for a peaceful, relaxing pool day. However, I know at SSR (where we always stay) they have a few quiet pools and another feature pool, so I would think it would be easy enough to get away from the excitement. It's also a big enough resort that I have never heard the music outside of the immediate pool area where the "Party" is.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #78
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

ITA! We planned a "pool day" in the middle of our stay and had rented a cabana at CR. The kids were enjoying themselves swimming and DH and I were relaxing in the cabana, listening to Bob Marley on the iPod docking station provided. Then the party started.
There were maybe 20 people at the pool, about a third were kids. The music did not need to be that loud. I wonder why they put a tv and iPod dock in the cabanas. You can't hear them with the party.
I got over it. Not a big deal. But the worst part was the woman was practically begging kids to come dance or hula hoop or whatever it was she was doing.They kids were ignoring her and into their own thing. It was both sad and annoying.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #79
EmmaMagsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmDisney.
We love the parties!! It's one of our favorite things to do at the resort! My kids loooove it!! They are 12 and 9, so we kinda let them play and have a little freedom, while DH and I have a couple cocktails and just relax watching them have a good time! In my experience it's always been Disney channel/movie themed music (think... Disney Radio) and I never have had a problem with it. I can see after a while it may become annoying to those there for a peaceful, relaxing pool day. However, I know at SSR (where we always stay) they have a few quiet pools and another feature pool, so I would think it would be easy enough to get away from the excitement. It's also a big enough resort that I have never heard the music outside of the immediate pool area where the "Party" is.
We just got back from a week at the Wilderness Lodge and also enjoyed the pool parties. Our DD's ages 8 and 9 had a blast. We loved watching them dance, play and have fun. For us, it's part of the experience. I agree with a previous poster that most of the music was radio disney, Yes it's loud, and yes there was one annoying CM, but it didn't ruin our time. We had a great time with our girls.
EmmaMagsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #80
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
What if adults over ran the main pools at the resorts with oldie music that the younger set didn't enjoy at ear deafening levels or rap music that a lot of older teens seem to like. I'm sure there would be a lot of complaints about the young kids not being able to enjoy the pool/play time.

It's really about moderation. If the pool parties are listed at certain times during the day then people not interested, could arrange their schedules accordingly. Are these parties held daily and for long periods of time? I haven't had the pleasure of attending, lol. I haven't heard the screaming CM's but it sounds awful for others trying to enjoy the pool.
If we did over run the pool area and they were playing rock music, we'd make sure it wasn't too loud.
That may be a good idea! Have an adult cocktail party every day ( casual wear) and good music could be played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Those of us who were born in the 60s pretty much grew up listening to that. Not sure it's more inappropriate than the latest Justin Bieber hit.
Yes to Pink Floyd! I'd rather listen to nails scratching a chalkboard than listen to Bieber or Cyrus.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #81
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

We just got back a few days ago and found the noise level not as high most days as it was last year. If you are staying at POFQ the area behind the slide was the best for the music/games not be too loud when the volume was turned up.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #82
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

My kids are a bit old for most of the activities, but we like the parties. They give the pools a festive atmosphere, and I enjoy watching kids have fun playing the games. Most resorts have a quiet pool if quiet is what you seek.

I love the nightly movies, too!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #83
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

I think if you're at the pool, it's fair game. I can understand those with a pool view having difficulty taking an afternoon nap though. I have never opted for a pool view for this very reason, even before these pool parties began.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #84
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I'm not against the activities, I just think the volume is obnoxiously excessive. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we had to move to the quiet pool at the BW so we could hear each other speak, and we could still hear the CMs.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #85
RoutemanDan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
Back in the day before Value Resorts you got sensory overload at the parks. You went back to your resort to unwind and relax. Yes even the kids could take it easy for awhile without being entertained constantly.

Now, if a Resort doesn't have giant cartoon icons everywhere some people say it's not Disney enough or it doesn't have any Disney theming.

You used to be able to go to the resort pool and relax and listen to the kids laughing and having a great time just being in the pool, even at the Values. Not anymore. Now we have to have music blasting and CM's shouting over loudspeakers all day. Maybe if it had always been that way I wouldn't mind. But this is fairly recent and for people who can entertain themselves at the pool it's very annoying.
This is exactly how we feel.
RoutemanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #86
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

It does kind of get on my nerves. When my kids were younger, dd in particular really enjoyed them. I do think its a nice addition to the resort's amenities but I think they should be a bit shorter and not as loud.

Many mention going to the quiet pool, however the noise generally carries right over. At CBR in March, dh and I went over to the beach in Jamaica to escape and could still clearly hear them. We didnt' want to put on our earplugs to drown it out, we wanted to sit and chat and not have to listen to that music not to mention a cm who was yelling into the mike nonstop.

This is one of the reasons I will not stay at POFQ. Love the resort but it has one pool so no other pool to escape to (unless I want to go over to POR to one of their quiet pools which is not convenient to me) during the afternoon actvities.

I don't think having a cm acting as a disc jockey is all that appealing. Play the games, but turn down the volume a bit!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #87
deserrai
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I must agree with you there.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #88
Becca G
Earning My Ears

I too see both sides

I saw a blog post in which the writer warned that the mouse level in the rooms by the main pool ( at AOA) was very loud. Even at night sometimes until past 10pm because of pool side movies. While I know my children will love these activities, we were careful to book our rooms over in the Cats area to avoid thd noise. I would think you could move to a quieter section.

Even though I have children, I do NOT think WDW is just for families with kids. That is silly.
Becca G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #89
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Disney needs to build an adult only resort. The problem would be solved that way. I bet it would sell out too what with honeymooning couples, empty nesters or those who just want to relax.

I like kids, but I agree that there is no need to have the poolside music and activities blaring for hours. An hour at most seems reasonable.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #90
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran

It is too loud, I like to listen to my own music or podcasts and often can't hear it over the pool party. I like the parties but it's just way too loud!
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: