Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
brisus
Mouseketeer

Dont hate me but am I the only one that finds this annoying...

I understand that the pool activities that begin at 1:00 EVERY DAY are great and fun for the kids but I kind of found this unnerving after a while! A lot of the resorts have resort specific music that is relaxing and enjoyable until the chaos starts! We were at Wilderness Lodge last week and had to listen to rock music blaring all day with the activities girl screaming into the microphone! Do we really need to be listening to pink floyd and freebird for the kids at the pool! We moved to the beach for some peace and quite but there was no escape. I am sure this is fun for the kids but wouldnt an hour or so be fair for everyone and not the ENTIRE afternoon! Sorry just had to say it!
brisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
tinkerbelletreasure
Mouseketeer

While I understand some music may not be to your taste, I don't know that I would think of Disney if my main concern was for a tranquil, peaceful vacation. Even with all the adults who love Disney on their own, it is first and foremost for children and families. I expect to go to Disney and have my senses overloaded with sights, sounds, and music. It's all part of the experience. I'm not a huge fan of parades. But I know if I go to Disney there will be multiple parades during the day and I might not plan well enough to avoid having them cut off my access to other parts of the park.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisus View Post
I understand that the pool activities that begin at 1:00 EVERY DAY are great and fun for the kids but I kind of found this unnerving after a while! A lot of the resorts have resort specific music that is relaxing and enjoyable until the chaos starts! We were at Wilderness Lodge last week and had to listen to rock music blaring all day with the activities girl screaming into the microphone! Do we really need to be listening to pink floyd and freebird for the kids at the pool! We moved to the beach for some peace and quite but there was no escape. I am sure this is fun for the kids but wouldnt an hour or so be fair for everyone and not the ENTIRE afternoon! Sorry just had to say it!
I agree. We were at BLT for eight nights and the noise from the pool each day was very annoying. Too noisy to take a nap. Too noisy to sit on the balcony. And far too noisy at the pool. Made me wish we were at Old Key West at one of the neighborhood pools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelletreasure
it is first and foremost for children and families.
Where did you ever get that idea? Disney is for everyone. Some families don't have children or the children are grown. Does that mean we can't go to Disney and enjoy the pool? Surely not!

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

You are not the only one that finds it annoying. I do also. I love the music at Old Key West and would much rather hear it than the activities at the main pool.

If your resort has a quiet pool, perhaps that would be more relaxing for you.

Last edited by ChristineNic; 11-06-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: grrrr - grammar again
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelletreasure
While I understand some music may not be to your taste, I don't know that I would think of Disney if my main concern was for a tranquil, peaceful vacation. Even with all the adults who love Disney on their own, it is first and foremost for children and families. I expect to go to Disney and have my senses overloaded with sights, sounds, and music. It's all part of the experience. I'm not a huge fan of parades. But I know if I go to Disney there will be multiple parades during the day and I might not plan well enough to avoid having them cut off my access to other parts of the park.
Very well said! If you cant handle being around families with kids, Disney is not the place for you!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
JoAnnPan
DIS Veteran

I agree - would be different if the quiet pools were actually quiet but that is usually not the case; a whole other issue I would rather not get into right now . Just returned from POR and could hear the main pool music all the way over by Oak Manor. Everyone has their own opinion - but Disney is soooo not just for kids/families - I am middle aged and have no children and love everything they have to offer but I do not need my pool day to be interrupted by the loud microphone/dance music every day - at least they could have it maybe every other day??

JoAnnPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisus View Post
Wow, I'm with you on this one. I really didn't expect a deluxe resort to have loud rock music at the pool. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge and really am not looking forward to something like this. Is this something new that they started at Disney? They don't do that at the BC/YC pool. At least they didn't do it all the times I've been there.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I'm torn on this question. On the one hand, DH and I are well past the child-rearing stage and it is just the 2 of us at WDW most of the time. I take no pleasure from hours and hours of loud music and children screaming. And a PP is correct, the availability of quiet pools at the mods does not guarantee peace and quiet (although we did find the quiet pools at CBR to be just that).

OTOH, this is WDW. I know ahead of time that pool activities are scheduled daily. And I choose to stay at that resort anyway. If I REQUIRE peace and quiet in the middle of the day, then I need to stay where I can get it. It is what it is, and Disney tries to satisfy the MAJORITY of their guests the majority of the time. Unfortunately they can't satisfy all of their guests all of the time.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

I find it annoying too...but the good thing is that most of the resorts have quiet pools, so you have to weight the pros and cons of sticking around during the racket or trekking to one the quiet pools. It's one of the reasons why I request the 50's section at Pop - the bowling pin pool is always peaceful. At the Y/B Club you just have to select a seat far away from the kiddie area of the pool, closer to the water slide if you want to be away from the noise.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

I am also somewhere in the middle on this. When we stayed at ASMo in March the music/activities were going on and my kids were really too young to truly enjoy or participate in it. I tuned it out for the most part but it did ensure that we stayed over by the kiddie pool area because it was very loud at the pool. Of course ASMo is a value and thinking about it, I could understand having different expectations for a mod or deluxe.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
FancyNancy
Princess

I actually really enjoy the daily pool party. My DD8 had a blast on our resort day dancing, playing games, and answering trivia. I thought it was nice that all the children playing received a prize of some sort. It was nice to be able to watch her having fun with the other kids and was a perfect ice breaker for her to meet new friends as she is an only child.
But as always my philosophy is " to each his own" and I can totally understand your reasoning for not really caring for it. The only suggestion that I can think of would be to be at the parks during that time of day if it really annoys you but I do understand that it's not always ideal especially if you are hoping to take a midday nap or have kiddos that need a nap.

FancyNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
owl0306
Mouseketeer

I only stay deluxe and have 4 kids. Deluxe is not meant to be an adult only resort. you need to find a new vacation destination if you want to complain about kid activities
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Havana
DIS Veteran

I have to agree also! We were at Boardwalk by the Clown Pool and the noise level was very high. I can bear the music, it is the person talking on the microphone that is annoying. I understand the activities are there to be fun, but there needs to be some consideration to all of the rooms surrounding the area as well.

Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl0306 View Post
I only stay deluxe and have 4 kids. Deluxe is not meant to be an adult only resort. you need to find a new vacation destination if you want to complain about kid activities
Ouch!

I am not a huge loud music person either, but that's how the pool parties are. The villa pool at the Wildnerness lodge is very nice and much, much, much quieter. VWL is one of my home resorts and WL is very heavy on the kids, so the pool parties can be annoying in their choice of music (which is what you are saying), but it is what it is. In my case, I just have an adult beverage or two.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
willeve
Mouseketeer

We stayed at WL last year and loved it, BUT I have to agree with you. We have 2kids, 9 and 11 at the time, who loved a few hours at the pool every day. Myself and my husband enjoy a bit of sun-worshipping and the volume of the music for around 3hours every day was a bit much. I actually commented to my husband that I would have been unhappy if we were there as adults-only due to the noise. Kids loved it though!
willeve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: