Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

Is using a laminate/magnet worth it for door magnets?

Has anyone here ever used something like this with a laminate/magnet cartridge for making door magnets? I'm tempted to try this, but want to know if it works well enough to make it worth it?

capshockeygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Hmm...I haven't used one of those - however I've had no issues at all using the Avery Ink Jet Magnet sheets that I ordered on Amazon. I've used them on two cruises and they never fell off and they are now on our fridge - still holding strong

Have fun,
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I do all my magnets with my Xyron Creative Station. I love it. I have my graphics printed by an online photo processing company and then turn them into magnets with this.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I do all my magnets with my Xyron Creative Station. I love it. I have my graphics printed by an online photo processing company and then turn them into magnets with this.

Corinna
I assume, then, that the quality of the magnet is good enough to hold at least through a cruise?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

Personally, not for that price, especially if it is the only reason to purchase it.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

i have a laminator I picked up on amazon for $20. I laminate whatever pic/photo then just add my own magnets in the corners...from a roll I also picked up inexpensively. I have ones that have been on multiple cruises and they still look great.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by capshockeygrl View Post
I assume, then, that the quality of the magnet is good enough to hold at least through a cruise?
Yes, definitely. Some of the magnets have been on 5 cruises now with three of them 14+ nights and they are still going strong.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
i have a laminator I picked up on amazon for $20. I laminate whatever pic/photo then just add my own magnets in the corners...from a roll I also picked up inexpensively. I have ones that have been on multiple cruises and they still look great.
I've thought about doing it this way, too, but I'm a perfectionist and would (for whatever reason my little brain has) prefer the entire back be magnetized. That doesn't mean I won't talk myself out of needing it to be that way in the end, though....

Old 11-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
Yes, definitely. Some of the magnets have been on 5 cruises now with three of them 14+ nights and they are still going strong.

Corinna
Thanks for the info. I can see the benefit of having one of these for more than just cruise magnets, but I needed to make sure it was worth it before I even seriously considered buying.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
I've thought about doing it this way, too, but I'm a perfectionist and would (for whatever reason my little brain has) prefer the entire back be magnetized. That doesn't mean I won't talk myself out of needing it to be that way in the end, though....
whatever floats 'your' boat. I have both (thanks to many FE gifts) but prefer how the magnet strip ones seem to have some depth - for lack of a better term- to them when placed on the door.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
Hmm...I haven't used one of those - however I've had no issues at all using the Avery Ink Jet Magnet sheets that I ordered on Amazon. I've used them on two cruises and they never fell off and they are now on our fridge - still holding strong

Have fun,
Heather
I also printed my own on magnetic sheets and they turned out wonderfully. The shaped ones I exacto-knife cut them out and they look amazing! Also printed the character hats/ears for the door-porthole and they were great and will last for many a cruise to come

I didn't make a whole load, but here's a pic of the ones I had to cut.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Last edited by fredgirls; 11-06-2012 at 12:30 PM.
fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls

I also printed my own on magnetic sheets and they turned out wonderfully. The shaped ones I exacto-knife cut them out and they look amazing! Also printed the character hats/ears for the door-porthole and they were great and will last for many a cruise to come

I didn't make a whole load, but here's a pic of the ones I had to cut.
Totally and completely of topic, but I ADORE your FE. I still need to get one for our room in Jan. Where did you find yours?

And back on topic... Your magnets look awesome!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Totally and completely of topic, but I ADORE your FE. I still need to get one for our room in Jan. Where did you find yours?

And back on topic... Your magnets look awesome!
haha! thanks! I made it myself! Not a seamstress but took my time! My sewing machine is my grandmothers - in a wooden box and you turn the handle to make it work!
Was lots of fun to do - you should try it!

Didn't mean to say my magnets themselves were wonderful. Just they turned out well. Was surprised about how sturdy they were. They all sat very flat, apart from where the door was bevelled!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
haha! thanks! I made it myself! Not a seamstress but took my time! My sewing machine is my grandmothers - in a wooden box and you turn the handle to make it work!
Was lots of fun to do - you should try it!

Didn't mean to say my magnets themselves were wonderful. Just they turned out well. Was surprised about how sturdy they were. They all sat very flat, apart from where the door was bevelled!
Did you use a pattern for the FE or just wing it? And where did you find the appliques? :D

I've been considering doing my own. We've got a couple of sewing machines (and the sad thing is I used to sew a ton), but I find that nowadays I get easily frustrated by trying to figure things out while sewing.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did you use a pattern for the FE or just wing it? And where did you find the appliques? :D

I've been considering doing my own. We've got a couple of sewing machines (and the sad thing is I used to sew a ton), but I find that nowadays I get easily frustrated by trying to figure things out while sewing.
I winged it! Made a plan before hand and just went for it!!

The appliqués are from 'theappliquepatch' on etsy. So many wonderful, customizable, appliqués.

Give it a try!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: