Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Additional Nursery hours beyond 10

Not that we are looking to abuse the privilege of using the Nursery during our cruise, but we were just curious if it was possible to add an hour or two beyond your 10-hour allotment for the Nursery once on board.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

On longer cruises, it is no problem (7 night has an 18 hour in advance). Typically they will not allow you to book extra hours on the first day--they want everyone to have a chance to get some hours before anyone gets extra. After that, booking is pretty much open.

I have read that it is harder on the shorter cruises; whether that is by policy or by nursery filling up, I'm not sure.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Suz D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland View Post
Not that we are looking to abuse the privilege of using the Nursery during our cruise, but we were just curious if it was possible to add an hour or two beyond your 10-hour allotment for the Nursery once on board.
We have used the nursery on 2 different 7 night cruises and ended up with 16 hours on one and 18 hours on the other. It was nice to use it every night around the dinner hour. Our server brought an appetizer for our daughter (nearly 3 but not potty trained) and then we ordered her entree right away. They brought that with our 1st course and then we took her to the nursery as soon as she was finished (about 6:30 PM). She was in the nursery until the show each night. That ended up being 1.5 hours each night. Then we had a reservation for Palo an also for a spa treatment. They were wonderfully flexible with us but we were also sailing a non-holiday sailing so there weren't a ton of kids onboard. That makes a difference too.
Suz D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
realityland
Mouseketeer

Just so hard to plan with a 10 m/o. We went ahead and booked our 10 hours as best we could guess. The baby's schedule may get switched up (or various other unpredictable things) and we probably won't even end up using our 10.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
SailingScout
Mouseketeer

We also used our best guess when booking for our DS on a 4 night Dream. We had no problem getting plenty of additional hours onboard, despite the nursery workers telling us there were lots of young kids on the cruise.
SailingScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

We pre-booked 10 hours and had no problem booking additional hours as soon as we boarded the ship. They were so flexible. (This was on the Dream last June).
Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

On our most recent cruise we pre-booked all 18 hours and added many more when we were there. Our cruise was only about half full however. If the cruise is full there is less of a chance of getting extra hours. We always tried to plan at least a day in advance but there was never a problem. She spent quite a bit of time there
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

I too have a question about the nursery. When booking the time before the cruise....do you have to specify what days and actual times you want?
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
SailingScout
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
I too have a question about the nursery. When booking the time before the cruise....do you have to specify what days and actual times you want?
Yes.
SailingScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
sdKT
wonder 9.25.11

duno if this helps. we sailed with our 9.5mos old.
i booked mostly for evenings - sometimes during dinner -- 10 pm ish. sometimes after dinner (which did prove to be difficult.)
they let us extend it if hes asleep say at 9pm, id come ask if i can lv him another hour.
Once we put him in during hte day for 2 hrs in hopes of going to Adult Only pool. HA!

the problem we found is we couldnt get our DD6 to want to go to her Kids club at the same time as he was in Baby club. -- since you dont know the older kid activities ahead of time, its hard to match them up.
in the evng she'd want to hang iwth us, during the day we had both of them.

we barely bribed her to go to Kids club once at daytime, and we had barely an hour to just walk around the ship alone and free lol.

SO i suggest do it during when your baby sleeps - evenings/dinner and enjoy. and they let you extend, or add on hours, i just came and asked .
sdKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
realityland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdKT
duno if this helps. we sailed with our 9.5mos old.
i booked mostly for evenings - sometimes during dinner -- 10 pm ish. sometimes after dinner (which did prove to be difficult.)
they let us extend it if hes asleep say at 9pm, id come ask if i can lv him another hour.
Once we put him in during hte day for 2 hrs in hopes of going to Adult Only pool. HA!

the problem we found is we couldnt get our DD6 to want to go to her Kids club at the same time as he was in Baby club. -- since you dont know the older kid activities ahead of time, its hard to match them up.
in the evng she'd want to hang iwth us, during the day we had both of them.

we barely bribed her to go to Kids club once at daytime, and we had barely an hour to just walk around the ship alone and free lol.

SO i suggest do it during when your baby sleeps - evenings/dinner and enjoy. and they let you extend, or add on hours, i just came and asked .
We are going with our 9 m/o and 9 y/o. Our experience will probably mirror yours.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
Yes, but you are allowed to change the times after boarding. They really try hard to be flexible with you.

You specify for nursery only. The Oceaneer's Club/Lab programming is a "drop off when you wish" situation.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
aaklang
Mouseketeer

Not sure about getting extra hours, but I just wanted to say we did have trouble with them being sold out. We had Palo reservations one night and the nursery was fully booked. We tried several times to get a spot and couldn't. We were part of a large party and needed to get three babies in there. There were two people ahead of us on a wait list, meaning there were five babies wanting spots.

Ultimately, because we were traveling in a group with some of the best concierge suites on the ship, we worked it out - the concierge rep got them to add an additional staff member to accommodate us - but it took a lot of work and didn't happen till the night before we needed it (our reservation was for night 6).

Anyway, my point is, while you may be allowed to get more hours, we did have problems with availability in the evenings. This was on a Fantasy 7 night.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaklang View Post
Not sure about getting extra hours, but I just wanted to say we did have trouble with them being sold out. We had Palo reservations one night and the nursery was fully booked. We tried several times to get a spot and couldn't. We were part of a large party and needed to get three babies in there. There were two people ahead of us on a wait list, meaning there were five babies wanting spots.

Ultimately, because we were traveling in a group with some of the best concierge suites on the ship, we worked it out - the concierge rep got them to add an additional staff member to accommodate us - but it took a lot of work and didn't happen till the night before we needed it (our reservation was for night 6).

Anyway, my point is, while you may be allowed to get more hours, we did have problems with availability in the evenings. This was on a Fantasy 7 night.
There is always a chance that the nursery will be full. And in those cases, a guest may be out of luck. But if you were cruising concierge, why didn't you book your Palo and nursery at 120 days out before others had access to the time slots? As you pointed out, the concierge can usually work miracles.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
sdKT
wonder 9.25.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland View Post
We are going with our 9 m/o and 9 y/o. Our experience will probably mirror yours.
we didnt book Palo or anything tho because of the uncertainty. if it worked out we were alone, we just ate dinner some place else, alone. still nice.

We are now repeating with baby 22mos, DD7.5y... sigh.
sdKT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: