Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
KayJD
Earning My Ears

Suggestions for afternoon/evening

Hi everyone.

Looking for some suggestions.... Thanks to a scheduling change, our points plan has put us on a much earlier (and direct - yeah!) flight to MCO for our two nights at POP Century the first week of December. We will be landing at 1:00 in the afternoon instead of 6:30.

Now we have extra vacation time and the opportunity to actually do something on our arrival day but I have no idea what besides hitting the pool (weather permitting) and getting dinner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I was thinking maybe DTD area for dinner and the evening? What's there that might appeal to 6 and 8 year old girls? Is this the same area that was once called Pleasure Island and was a ticketed attraction area?

Thanks!
KayJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

DTD is wonderful at Xmas time; it is decorated beautifully and will really get you in the mood for the holidays. I get lost in the Christmas shop every year. I would definitely head over there and walk around. Lots of shops and things to see. The Lego store is definitely a great attraction for that age.

You have excellent options for dinner. I love Paradiso 37 (Pleasure Island) and RFC (Marketplace). Raglan Road (also Pleasure Island) has music and clog dancing in the bar area; there are tables where children can sit.

Also, there is a water taxi over to POFQ and POR. Might I suggest taking it over to see Yee-hah Bob at the lounge at POR. He is a very high energy performer who is there from 8 pm to almost midnight (Wednesday through Saturday) and he starts his Xmas show the Saturday after Thanksgiving. He loves the kids and recognizes people in the audience for special occasions. He gets the kids to help him do some of the carols. You will not be disappointed.

If it is too cold or too late to take the water taxi back to Marketplace to the bus hub, you can take the DTD bus back to bus hub and back to your resort. Or you can take a cab.
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I would spend it unpacking, and settling in to your room, and exploring resort. Then you can go to a park in the evening, or DTD.
Going over to POR by boat is a fun idea too, but you may want to cab it back, so you don't have too late a night. I don't think his show starts till 8:00.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
wahmtexas
Mouseketeer

The girls ages are perfect for BBB in Downtown Disney or
We like to go over to Ft Wilderness, you can ride horses, take a hayride or rent a golf cart and look at all the Christmas decorations, then there is a movie with Chip and Dale in the evening with a campfire/smores. Enjoy your extra time!
Sept.2010: Carribbean Beach, 3d trip with my kids
Dec. 2012 Art Of Animation, Cars Suite Lovin my work at home business paying for our Disney addiction!
Dec. 2013 POFQ, Surprise trip for kids! Loved POFQ!
Nov. 2014 Art Of Animation-Nemo Suite
wahmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

That's great you have more time to spend on your first day!

My family will usually spend time at the pool and get settled at the resort. We also like to explore the resort.

For nighttime you could go to DTD. For things o do there you could go shopping, eat dinner, go to BBB for your daughter, see a movie, or even go to the Cirque du soleil la nouba - if you want to splurge!

If you really wanted to you could go to a park for your first night!

Have a great time on your trip!

-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

We usually go to EPCOT on our arrival day. We have been lucky that our room has been ready upon check in, so after unpacking a little, we head out.

Spending your arrival day at World Showcase at EPCOT is a perfect way to spend a partial day. WS is mostly shops, shows and restaurants with no E ticket rides to worry about getting to 1st thing. Get a reservation for a WS eatery and enjoy your 1st night at WDW.

You can always add a day to your tickets at your hotel upon check in, it's usually not that much to add a day. If you don't want to hit a park, DTD is also lots of fun. Great restaurants and shopping! We love T-rex, if your girls would like the atmosphere, it's a super fun place to eat (a must for us).

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidijanesmith View Post
You can always add a day to your tickets at your hotel upon check in, it's usually not that much to add a day.
Going from 2 to 3 park days is a big jump in price, but going from 3 to 4 is not bad, so the decision to add a day really depends on what you have for tickets.

Since you're going during Christmas period, you might consider
just taking a bus over to MK, then checking out the Monorail resorts to see their Christmas decorations. The Gingerbread House at GF is great (although the prices are, of course,Disney high!)

You could also do a Christmas decoration loop of the BW, Y&B Club and Swan/Dolphin. (Take the bus to HS and then walk the path or take a boat to Boardwalk area). If you do this, you could then walk over to Fantasia Gardens and play mini-golf. Also, depending on when you're going, Swan/Dolphin have holiday activities.

Maura
jmasgat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
KayJD
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the wonderful suggestions.

We're actually doing a quick one day ticket to MK the day after we arrive (so the most expensive way of doing it of course) so I can't see us adding in the expense of another day to see another park although that suggestion is appealing!

DTD is probably going to be where we end up although I want to make sure we don't tucker the kids out entirely since we'll have a full day of touring the next day. I'll have to play it by ear and keep some of the other great suggestions in mind (Yee-ha Bob and AK movie) and see how we feel after arriving as well as what the weather is like.

All the input is much appreciated!
KayJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: