Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

MILITARY Family question -

Anyone researched this?

debating staying at Shades of Green (huge room great price) and getting the military discount tickets

Verses

staying at a WDW resort with the military discount and military tickets and purchasing the dining plan

- is there a discount to the dining plan? Is it worth paying more for a smaller room for the meal plan?

Thanks for helping me think through this - hubby is in afghanistan and just too busy to help research this with me. I totally appreciate feed back.

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002
DisneyWorld - 1985, 1987, 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2012

Disney Cruise - coming soon 2013
wildzootv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

I don't recall ever seeing a discount on the dining plan. I think I would do the WDW resort hotel with the military discount and discount tickets. Shades of Green didn't seem to have really great rates to me.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Price it out

We did both. SoG when we stayed for a week and did a week on DCL. Cost was a factor. We also did other things outside of Disney that week. The last time, we did AKL and did the dining plan, quick service.

Having the dining plan was nice, but not a big deal for us. We don't do alot of the table service meals. Next time, we might not do it

I would price out the Resort you are looking at staying at and compare it with SoG. It will depend on DH's rank how that breaks down. For us now, it can be a toss up.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
auralia
DIS Veteran

You can walk to ploy to hop the monorail I believe, but you don't get extra magic hours if that matters to you. I have never stayed at SOG as it was always booked when I was going before I bought DVC. In slow season you can get a value room for 70 a night on the military disocunt or there abouts. You should look up the rack rate for your time and then take the discount off of that to get an Idea of what it would be per night in a disney hotel if you don't want to call disney.

Also Universal just released a free 3 day military ticket recently if that is something you'd like to look into too. The free ticket is just for the AD member, but does shave a chunk of the price of going to universal.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Mommy Poppins
Admitted Disneyholic - No Cure Wanted
Dreams of tag fairies and pretty colors
Will be spending my birthday at the WL

Just FYI, guests of Shades of Green are eligible for Extra Magic Hours.

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/xtramagichours.htm
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Personally, I have never found Shades of Green to be cheaper than the Value or Moderate when we have gone. I would be in Category II as I am a 100% Disabled veteran.

We don't do the dining plan as we have found it is actually more costly for us. We don't really eat that much food and especially not enough to cover the cost of the dining plan.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I've always found disney resorts with the military discount cheaper than SOG for our family, but we usually stop in SOG to get our tickets. I don't know the ages of your kids, but if they're younger the dining plan might not be a savings for you. We prefer to get the dining plan, but I have teenagers and a DH that are big eaters and it saves us money overall.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Jenny-Bell
Sprinkling the kids with pixie dust...

SOG has always been booked and more expensive when we have looked. We have gone there for tickets and breakfast (the day we got tickets), but otherwise always stayed in either a Value or Moderate resort.

We have also never used the dining plan, just not worth it for our family, we have priced out all of our meals and kept receipts, it just never comes out more than any dining plan. There are no dining plan discounts for military as far as I know.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide!!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle...
Jenny-Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

104 a night at sog. More than a value but less than the moderate I think.

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002

Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

Thank you all

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002

Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

I've always done Disney resort with the military resort and the dining plan. We like the convenience of the dining plan and the ambiance of the Disney resorts. We get our tickets on base, but you can get them at SOG too. You joust have to find what works best for your family!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildzootv View Post
104 a night at sog. More than a value but less than the moderate I think.
The military room discounts are: 40% off Deluxe Resorts, 35% off Moderates and Fort Wilderness Cabins, and 30% off Value Resorts including the new Art of Animation Resort. So that would make it close for moderates and more than a value.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Jenny-Bell
Sprinkling the kids with pixie dust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
The military room discounts are: 40% off Deluxe Resorts, 35% off Moderates and Fort Wilderness Cabins, and 30% off Value Resorts including the new Art of Animation Resort. So that would make it close for moderates and more than a value.
Exactly...it also depends on when you are going, the prices vary between seasons. Also, SOG rates depend on rank, so for $105, I would say that you are looking at category 1 and a poolside room which isn't bad at all.

For us, in January, PORS in a preferred room, weekday rate would be 187, after the 35% off it's more like 122 a night, plus tax, which comes out to 136.74/night.
We would be in Cat 2 (E6) and with a pool room at SOG that would be 133/night. So, it's not a huge difference and we really have an attachment to PORS.

I have never stayed at SOG, but it looks beautiful and calm and honestly every time we have made plans to visit, I have looked into it but they seem to book up fast. Hubby also says he wants a vacation from all things Army, so he doesn't have much interested in being surrounded by it at the resort. (Just meaning the types of conversations that people will have with you, small talk and such).

Look at prices and amenities and you will find what works for your family.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle...
Jenny-Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Depends. When DH was an O3, sometimes it was a better value to stay at SOG, now that he's an O4, not so sure. Also depends on what kind of eaters you are and whether or not the dining plan is a good value for you. I've never seen the dining plan discounted, (or at least not to military, I think once I heard there was a CM discount.) So right now for us, with DD still under 3 and w/ DH's rank, staying on property and using the DDP is a better option. We'll re-evaluate once she's older!

ETA-- but the rooms really are massive, as is the bathroom!!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
PrincessMommy05
Mouseketeer

I've never stayed at SoG before, but I've been there and it's beautiful! That being said when I priced it out it was much cheaper for us to use the military discount on the room (FN suite at AoA) then it would be for a comparable suite at SoG. We could have gotten a room at SoG for cheaper, but then a standard room at a value might have been cheaper I didn't price that out.

We chose to buy the dining plan as well which we haven't done before, but from my understanding it's not an option at SoG. If your DH is into golf it may be worth looking into because they do have a really nice course there. They do have a small AFEES store there that would be good if you forgot anything (tax free, and from what I remember the prices were much lower than normal Disney prices) and of course you can get your tickets there if you don't get them before you go.

I hope you have a great trip!!
PrincessMommy05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: