Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

What happened to the peacocks? I used to love seeing them!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
They have been gone about 15 years. I think they became too noisy and aggressive around the guests, especially children. I think they were moved to the AK.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
fanowalt
Earning My Ears

There are alot of things I miss,Sugar in my Pepsi,Made in America and especially common curtisy and good manners.
fanowalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanowalt View Post
There are alot of things I miss,Sugar in my Pepsi,Made in America and especially common curtisy and good manners.
That goes for *everywhere* - not just FW Campground
Old 11-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
Chief Powhatan
Mouseketeer

I miss the good old days of 2011...

Fort Wilderness - 2013,2012,2011,2010,2007,2006,2005
All Star Sports - 2001
Chief Powhatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
Duzzygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanowalt View Post
HA! Indeed!

The first and only time I stayed in Fort Wilderness was 1987? I loved it. I was in sixth grade. I hardly remember any golf carts. The only thing I actually remember about them was my brother was 16, had his license, and was completely jacked they wouldn't let him rent one.

I remember it being very slow, casual, quiet, and absolutely wonderful. It was my first Disney trip. Had it not been so fantastic, we may have never wanted to go back.
Duzzygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
Disneysince1982
DIS Veteran

Ohhhhh....I love Fort Wilderness! I miss the entertainment in the Trails End! They use to have someone singing and playing the guitar while you dined. It was alot of fun. Now it just seems like they want to get you in and out as fast as they can.
Disneysince1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3princes View Post
I miss many of the things mentioned, but find it odd that the OP mentioned all the outsiders when he or she said that they were not staying at the Fort, but visit each year. That is exactly how the outsider population grows. Not flaming by any means we've done it ourselves...just sayin
LOL, I was thinking the same thing! We were once outsiders too, bussed over and rented bikes to ride around, had some dinner, and went back to whatever resort we were staying at saying "yeah, let's go there sometime..." And for the record, we've never used a cart - we're bike folks...cheaper and they're always charged up

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #24
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3princes View Post
I miss many of the things mentioned, but find it odd that the OP mentioned all the outsiders when he or she said that they were not staying at the Fort, but visit each year. That is exactly how the outsider population grows. Not flaming by any means we've done it ourselves...just sayin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing! We were once outsiders too, bussed over and rented bikes to ride around, had some dinner, and went back to whatever resort we were staying at saying "yeah, let's go there sometime..." And for the record, we've never used a cart - we're bike folks...cheaper and they're always charged up
We did this just 3 weeks ago. We have been wanting to buy a motor home for a while, and in fact, bought one on that trip

Our friends were supposed to be staying at the Fort, but had to cancel due to hurricane Sandy. We intended to visit them to check out the campground, but we visited even though they didn't make it. In fact we visited 3 times, once to check it out, once to rent a sea raycer, and on our last day to rent a pontoon boat. Can't wait to book my first Fort trip!!

DH & Me DD13 DS13 DD10 Holly
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #25
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

1) We missed the first two years, but started in the third year.
2) And, yep, there are things we also miss.
3) Many, already mentioned.

4) We miss
. . . riding real steam trains around FW
. . . tossing peanuts shells on the floor of a much larger Crockett's Tavern
. . . finding or empty rockers on Crockett's porch
. . . seeing bicycles, tricycles and quadcycles instead of golf carts
. . . viewing wide open areas instead of RV parking spaces
. . . hearing much more group singing from sites and cabins *
. . . admiring nice holiday decorations instead of overdone gaudy ones
. . . seeing the "hunting Mickey" park emblem/symbol
. . . buying Fort souvenirs that were made in America and lasted years
. . . walking up to a kiosk and getting eatery ressies for the same night

* We are there the third week of December. (If the world ends on 12/21,
we want to be sipping a brewski and picking a tune at The Fort). If you hear
3-5 guys playing bluegrass and folk tunes by picking banjos, basses, guitars,
y'all stop by an grab a sittin' place in the grass. We will be in a cabin jammin'
at least 2-4 nights that week. Several of us who jam together are camping
that week and bring our "devices".
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #26
Tigger1966
Addicted to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
They were there in 02 when we first took our kids. I was told that they had a problem with them attacking their reflection on some of the mirror like finish on the high end rv's and doing damage.

As for the golf cart I also agree that it has gotten out of hand but I only wish they would get it back under control not get rid of them. As someone who works on my feet all day and then comes to Disney and walks the parks all day it's nice to sit and ride at the fort. I also agree that there are many things that need to step back first of whitch is getting controll of the front gate and over crowding of campsites. Come on people it's a campsite not a parking lot. I dont see how people can find it enjoyable with an RV, golf cart,trailler and a couple of cars all cramed on the site. It's like camping in a Walmart parking lot.
1984 High School Graduation Present 1987 Honeymoon2002 Family Vacation 1 At The Fort 2003 Family Vacation 2 At The Fort 2005 Family Vacation 3 At The Fort 2006 Family Vacation 4 At The Fort 2008 Family Vacation 5 At The Fort 2009 Had a Great Time Despite The Flood 2010 Trip Down The Drain 2011 trip Was A Success

Tigger1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
KevinNYC
I always wish upon a star
My antenna topper stays on even in the automatic car wash

Our first trip to the Fort was in May of 1975. I guess a lot has changed since then. That was before River Country and we were allowed to swim in the Lake. It was clean then and quite refreshing.
Back then, there was no Discovery Island - it was actually Treasure Island - wow, that was a fun place to walk around. It was set up as a pirate place.
I don't remember golf carts back then but we rode the steam train.
We also loved the Chip and Dale Breakfast Character Buffet at Trails End - that was the best and least expensive character buffet in WDW. I guess things do change in time - but I don't think the change is all from Disney - I am afraid that over time people lose their focus and also their civility. People often seems to forget who we are and have little time to be considerate of our neighbors ( whether at home or over in the next camp site ) Somehow, I do not think kids would have been driving golf carts recklessly in 1975 (if they had carts) - it was just a different time and people acted differently.
I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Christmas and Holiday Season and remember to pray for the families of those children and adults in that Connecticut school.

Last edited by KevinNYC; 12-14-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling issues
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #28
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC View Post
Our first trip to the Fort was in May of 1975. I guess a lot has changed since then. That was before River Country and we were allowed to swim in the Lake. It was clean then and quite refreshing.
Back then, there was no Discovery Island - it was actually Treasure Island - wow, that was a fun place to walk around. It was set up as a pirate place.
I don't remember golf carts back then but we rode the steam train.
We also loved the Chip and Dale Breakfast Character Buffet at Trails End - that was the best and least expensive character buffet in WDW. I guess things do change in time - but I don't think the change is all from Disney - I am afraid that over time people lose their focus and also their civility. People often seems to forget who we are and have little time to be considerate of our neighbors ( whether at home or over in the next camp site ) Somehow, I do not think kids would have been driving golf carts recklessly in 1975 (if they had carts) - it was just a different time and people acted differently.
I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Christmas and Holiday Season and remember to pray for the families of those children and adults in that Connecticut school.
Oh, sweet memories! Discovery Island was the *only* island there that was not man made! When Treasure Island just didn't *make* it, it closed, and DI was *born* in '76. We used to go there every trip - could get a *double* ticket for that and River Country which was opened about the same time.

We, too, remember being able to swim down on the beach there and our children loved it (could do it even after RC opened). FW has gotten a lot larger since the opening years.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) We missed the first two years, but started in the third year.
2) And, yep, there are things we also miss.
3) Many, already mentioned.

4) We miss

. . . admiring nice holiday decorations instead of overdone gaudy ones [/I]
Just there on the 100 loop - I, personally, think all the blown up decorations being *crammed* (as many as possible on one site, with extra spaces in some sites) are so tacky and gaudy. Guess we are in the minority though, as we had to pass through people standing in front of our MH just to get into our *space* . What we had to miss (and would have loved to see, after seeing it on youtube) was dave's castle display. Our time was up 1 day before he got his set up and running.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
WDW1979

Excellent 70's video of Fort Wilderness railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
4) We miss
. . . riding real steam trains around FW
This may have been posted somewhere on Disboards before, but I found this video "A Trip Aboard the Fort Wilderness Railroad" on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3wshRnX0lY

Video quality is excellent for 1970's amateur film, plus it has sound!
WDW1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: