DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Current Promotions for New Members?

Does anyone know what the promotions are right now for new contracts?

My in-laws are thinking about purchasing, but wanted to know if it would be better to go on a DCL cruise and purchase onboard, or if there were other good promotions out there right now. Thanks in advance!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...g-a-promotions
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Does anyone know what the promotions are right now for new contracts?

My in-laws are thinking about purchasing, but wanted to know if it would be better to go on a DCL cruise and purchase onboard, or if there were other good promotions out there right now. Thanks in advance!
It's better to buy resale and save a bundle.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

They have generally given extra perks for DCL cruises, the last time we were given shipboard credit, which is more than the typical fastpasses or other promotions given.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your answers! I will check out the link and tell them about re-sale also. I am just concerned that with re-sale you don't get the same perks as with buying direct. They were impressed with our 10% discount all over Calif. DTD this past weekend!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

the current promotions have recently changed. but again, onboard promotions may be different. here is a link to the updated promotions:

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...ntives-updated
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I am just concerned that with re-sale you don't get the same perks as with buying direct.
resale buyers currently get the same dining/shopping discounts as direct buyers. those dining/shopping discounts can go away at any time for both direct and resale buyers. (it's going to take a lot of 10% off discounts to add up to the thousands saved by buying resale either way.)

the only big difference currently between direct and resale is access to trades for disney cruises and disney hotels (also "adventures by disney" - but those take HUGE numbers of pts). the cost of trading out for cruises and such is usually more expensive than simply paying cash (renting pts for DVC stays and using the cash).

resale buyers get the same member perks otherwise, including access to trades for RCI and intrawest timeshares. and if your circumstances change and you need to sell your DVC contract, you will be selling at resale prices even if you paid extra to buy direct.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Given that perks can change at any time, it isn't a good thing to buy direct because you want a specific perk, you could end up being disappointed in the future.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
resale buyers currently get the same dining/shopping discounts as direct buyers. those dining/shopping discounts can go away at any time for both direct and resale buyers. (it's going to take a lot of 10% off discounts to add up to the thousands saved by buying resale either way.)

the only big difference currently between direct and resale is access to trades for disney cruises and disney hotels (also "adventures by disney" - but those take HUGE numbers of pts). the cost of trading out for cruises and such is usually more expensive than simply paying cash (renting pts for DVC stays and using the cash).

resale buyers get the same member perks otherwise, including access to trades for RCI and intrawest timeshares. and if your circumstances change and you need to sell your DVC contract, you will be selling at resale prices even if you paid extra to buy direct.
Thanks. This will be alot to discuss with them. One of the things they liked is that we took a 6 day repo last year on the West Coast strictly on points. I know that if you add up the money, etc. it might not look like a good use of points, but we enjoyed taking a "free" cruise and it was a nice vacation, which is what DVC is about. So for us, trading for a cruise worked out well. DBIL, however, is a MBA so he might look at it the way you just explained.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Given that perks can change at any time, it isn't a good thing to buy direct because you want a specific perk, you could end up being disappointed in the future.
That's true. We have been turned down for those perks lots of times at DLR because they CMs didn't know about them. I don't think anyone would really base a purchase like this on 10% off at stores - it just got their attention, so they stopped by the Kiosk.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
ethanash1
A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2

Thanks. This will be alot to discuss with them. One of the things they liked is that we took a 6 day repo last year on the West Coast strictly on points. I know that if you add up the money, etc. it might not look like a good use of points, but we enjoyed taking a "free" cruise and it was a nice vacation, which is what DVC is about. So for us, trading for a cruise worked out well. DBIL, however, is a MBA so he might look at it the way you just explained.
I agree. Although its not the best "bang for your buck" to use Pts for cruising, I have taken 3 cruises on points. I can't imagine not being able to trade out, and like you mentioned, since its all pre-paid, it feels " Free" to us to...even though we know full well it's not. I'm sure they'll love which ever way they decide to buy, but its good that you're researching for them!

Port Orleans French Quarter March 2009Disney Magic Western Caribbean March 2010
Disneyland VGC June 2010Disneyland VGC Sept 2010
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011 Walt Disney World / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean October 2012Aulani Resort June 2013 Disney Magic Double Dip October 2013
ethanash1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: