Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #31
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalamara View Post
:O. I want in!!!
It's a super secret club involving secret handshakes with anti-bacterial treated hands, cough suppressants, and tinfoil hats. Only for the weakest of stomach and immune systems. Participate at your will, at the expense of your health and the damage of credibility for all Disney related knowledge.
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #32
kstinw19
DIS Veteran

Oh no! I hope they this lovely stomach flu is gone by thanksgiving. We all had something similar while visiting last January and it wasn't pretty. It went through our party of 10 like a freight train! Not pretty.

1st Disney cruise! April '13,First holiday visit with kids Nov '12, Family reunion at WLV Jan '12, First visit as DVC members - May '11, Back to the World! - Apr '10, Back to Poly - Sept. 08 w/ kids, Boardwalk Villas - Jan 08 w/ kids, Poly - May 07 - surprising the kids, Beach Club - Sept 06, Off-site at Vistana w/ parents and kids Oct 05,
kstinw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #33
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

We had the same thing go through our grand gathering of 22 at this time last year. My MIL ended up going to the Dr. when she got home and being told it was probably the norovirus. Luckily for us it only lasted for two days and my one year old did not get it very bad.

Unfortunately for some viruses such as the norovirus hand sanitizer is believed not to be effective in killing it and may actually increase the risk of an outbreak. The best you can do is wash your hands as frequently as possible with soap and water.

That was my third time getting sick at disney with the other two times being colds with some flu like symptoms. We are hoping that our upcoming trip is sick free.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #34
ls3015
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Wilds View Post
Not to put people off further by the open sharing of knowledge, but for those who suffer from acid reflux or heartburn, this solution will exacerbate the problem as opposed to help it. If you've got an acid issue, which often comes with an illness or food poisoning, an alkaline will be the solution to the problem.

Taking cider vinegar or cider vinegar supplements on an acid stomach will compound your misery to borderline intolerable levels... The best assistance for illness is something neutral or alkaline, like Tums, Rolaids, or better yet, Pepto. If you want to go more natural, taking acidophiles or something like enzymes of papaya or probotic yogurt BEFORE you eat foreign food MAY help.

I used to have stomach issues constantly (hazard of the job), but I have to tell you, daily acidophiles intake made a world of difference. It works the best if you take it regularly for a week or two first.

You are right in one way, wrong in another, it has nothing to do with intolerable tummy levels, the apple cider vineger will make you throw up anything that is causeing the sickness, fairly fast I might add, making you feel much better. try it the next time.
ls3015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #35
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3015 View Post
You are right in one way, wrong in another, it has nothing to do with intolerable tummy levels, the apple cider vineger will make you throw up anything that is causeing the sickness, fairly fast I might add, making you feel much better. try it the next time.
I think I'm going to pass... Throwing up has rarely made me feel better and the misery and pain of throwing up due to an overly acidy tummy isn't a feeling I'd like to experience intentionally.
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #36
reedycreek
DIS Veteran

Posted this on another thread, but am trying to get answers. I'm intrigued by the talk of a flu bug going around the CM's. Any info would help.

My wife also got either food poisoning or a bad stomach bug at Disney starting on 11/8. We ate breakfast at Kona, lunch at the BBQ CSR at AK (cant think of the name), and dinner at Narcoossee's. We then spent some time at MK, went back to WL where she used her refill mug for a hot chocolate (it was pretty cold outside that night).

Two hours later, she woke me up vomiting in the bathroom, with severe stomach cramps, and all the other symptoms of food poisoning or stomach flu that I will not get into on these boards. The vomiting and other symptoms lasted the entire night. At 9am, I began to get worried as she was shaking uncontrollably, was apparently dehydrated, and could not keep anything down. I spoke to the front desk manager at WL, who suggested I call 911.

Reedy Creek Paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, took one look at her and said she needed to go to the hospital. They loaded her in an ambulance and took her to Celebration Hospital. At the hospital, they found her BP to be extremely low (dehydration). She was medicated with Zofran for nausea, Bentyl for the severe stomach cramps, given Potassium as it was frighteningly low, and hydrated via IV. The ER doctor felt it was more likely food poisoning but could also have been the flu.

Interestingly, while in the ER, we saw a news segment about Nestle hot chocolate being recalled throughout the US because of salmonella poisoning. I called WL and asked what type of hot chocolate they used in Roaring Forks, and it turned out to be Nestle. So there is a strong possibility this all started from her hot chocolate at Roaring Forks hours before the symptoms started.

Anyone else have a similar experience this week?
POR October 2004, Polynesian June 2005, BCV November 2005, BWV October 2006, POR October 2007, Polynesian October 2008, BWV Feb 2009, BWV/Contemporary June 2009, Polynesian Nov 2009, Our Disney Fairy Tale Wedding Nov 2009!!! Grand Californian Hotel DL January 2010, Polynesian November 2010, Wilderness Lodge January 2012!
reedycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #37
bluehawaii19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedycreek View Post
Posted this on another thread, but am trying to get answers. I'm intrigued by the talk of a flu bug going around the CM's. Any info would help.

My wife also got either food poisoning or a bad stomach bug at Disney starting on 11/8. We ate breakfast at Kona, lunch at the BBQ CSR at AK (cant think of the name), and dinner at Narcoossee's. We then spent some time at MK, went back to WL where she used her refill mug for a hot chocolate (it was pretty cold outside that night).

Two hours later, she woke me up vomiting in the bathroom, with severe stomach cramps, and all the other symptoms of food poisoning or stomach flu that I will not get into on these boards. The vomiting and other symptoms lasted the entire night. At 9am, I began to get worried as she was shaking uncontrollably, was apparently dehydrated, and could not keep anything down. I spoke to the front desk manager at WL, who suggested I call 911.

Reedy Creek Paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, took one look at her and said she needed to go to the hospital. They loaded her in an ambulance and took her to Celebration Hospital. At the hospital, they found her BP to be extremely low (dehydration). She was medicated with Zofran for nausea, Bentyl for the severe stomach cramps, given Potassium as it was frighteningly low, and hydrated via IV. The ER doctor felt it was more likely food poisoning but could also have been the flu.

Interestingly, while in the ER, we saw a news segment about Nestle hot chocolate being recalled throughout the US because of salmonella poisoning. I called WL and asked what type of hot chocolate they used in Roaring Forks, and it turned out to be Nestle. So there is a strong possibility this all started from her hot chocolate at Roaring Forks hours before the symptoms started.

Anyone else have a similar experience this week?

A couple of years ago, we were going to eat at 'Ohana for breakfast our last day. I woke up a few hours before and felt perfectly fine. When I got on the monorail to head to the Polynesian, I started feeling nauseous but didn't think much of it. When we got to the Polynesian and we waiting to get into our ADR, I kept having to rush to the bathroom because I felt like I was going to vomit but nothing happened. When we finally got into our ADR, I tried their juice that I love but that didn't help any. Finally, I got some soda water and that just made it all worse. I rushed to the bathroom and my mom told the staff and they had the onsite paramedics come and check my vitals (which were low) and I was dehydrated. They took me by ambulance to the hospital where I stayed for a few hours. They gave me something for the nausea which didn't even help me because I fell asleep for a short while and when I woke back up, I was still nauseous. They also gave me some Tylenol and that's about it. They wanted to keep me longer but we had a plane to catch. When I got back home from Disney, I went to the doctor's but she couldn't really verify what caused me to be sick.

The day before, I hit my head really badly while getting up on the Disney transportation bus (one of the buses with an upper level and a low ceiling) and rode on Mission Space. For dinner, we ate at Garden Grill and the fish didn't taste right.

bluehawaii19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #38
Mary T in PA

Mouseketeer

Our DD13 got very bad food poisoning this summer at Capn Cooks at the Poly. We were staying there, grabbed something to eat, and the rest of us were fine so it wasn't the flu.

It seems like the "flu" breaks out around this time year after year at Disney.

I'm a germaphobe so we always wash hands and try to get enough rest and eat good during winter, not just on our after Thanksgiving trek to WDW.

Let's hope that this winter is healthy for all of us!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
reedycreek
DIS Veteran

bluehawaii - If you hit your head really bad, it sounds like you had a concussion. One of the symptoms is nausea and vomiting...
POR October 2004, Polynesian June 2005, BCV November 2005, BWV October 2006, POR October 2007, Polynesian October 2008, BWV Feb 2009, BWV/Contemporary June 2009, Polynesian Nov 2009, Our Disney Fairy Tale Wedding Nov 2009!!! Grand Californian Hotel DL January 2010, Polynesian November 2010, Wilderness Lodge January 2012!
reedycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #40
bluehawaii19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedycreek View Post
bluehawaii - If you hit your head really bad, it sounds like you had a concussion. One of the symptoms is nausea and vomiting...
Yes but I didn't have any vomiting and it wasn't until well over 18 hours later I started feeling nauseous. I also ended up getting laryngitis as well so I think it was something else

bluehawaii19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #41
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

I got super sick a few years ago after eating at CRT. I was unaware that there was bacon in the potatoes and I haven't eaten meat in over 20 years. I only had a few bites before realizing they tasted off to me. I was in the bathroom the whole next day. It was bad!!!

DH got sick a few years ago. So much so that we ended up having to call an ambulance to take him to Celebration hospital. He was the sickest I have ever seen him. They had to give him IV fluids and we found out it was Rotavirus. They said that he probably got it on the airplane, since he got sick the day after we flew in. On the up side, Celebration hospital is beautiful!

I'm sorry that you are sick and I hope that you feel better soon!!

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

I didnt think food poisoning appeared that quickly after eating; but I dont know...We were there 10/22-10/27, no sickness for us and I did have the lamb.... LOVED IT..

I hope your trip wasnt too ruined....
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #43
Missytara
I'm all ears!

We have been dropping like flies at our office; I had it last week with the throwing up part and ended up sleeping on the floor in the bathroom for two nights.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #44
SgtsWifeandmommyof4
Mouseketeer

Norovirus is going around really badly right now in many states. My husband and I and 3 of our kids all had it about 3 weeks ago. Started out just my daughter. Then about 2 hours later, I got a phone call that my oldest had it while at a friends. Then my hubs about an hour later and finally myself. My middle son didnt get it until 3 days later and thankfully the baby never did. Symptoms include wretched stomach pains, nausea (with or without vomitting), diarrhea, cold chills, body aches and sometimes a fever. Clears up on its own within 3 days but it is highly contagious. It hits like a ton of bricks. I was probably worse bc I was still up taking care of everyone else while I was sick so it took a bit longer to recover (4 days fully).

At first we thought it was food poisoning as we had been out at a restaurant just the night before and it has some of the same symptoms. Once I got the call that my son was sick too (he had not been with us) I knew it wasn't food poisoning.

Best wishes to all. Fluids, fluids, fluids. Its all you can do or else you will have a horrible dehydration headache.

SgtsWifeandmommyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #45
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

When DD got Salmonella years ago, they said food poisoning times are different with different bacterias. We try very hard to keep hands from the face because people carry germs unknowingly and knowingly. Many wash hands only before eating when they walk in a restaurant. We wash going in and again after handling menus or sitting down after carrying trays,condiments, etc. I look at all the people using ketchup dispensers, spoons at buffets, etc. and think how many didn't wash their hands or didn't wash them properly. I've seen some just stick their hands under running water for a couple of seconds and dry them. They truly believed they were washing their hands. Some will go because they paid thousands to go and took vacation time and are not going to stay home or in the resort. We've had a lot of nasty bugs in our area already. Many friends are having it run through their families.

On another note, concerning stomach issues, we've learned that I have to drink bottled water when I travel even in the states. There is something about drinking water from areas that I'm not used to that make me sick every time. It took several vacations learning the hard way. It was finally a desk manager that mentioned that I might benefit from drinking only bottled water when traveling even in the states as she was sensitive, also.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: