Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
makingplans4WDW
Mouseketeer

Columbia Harbor House: Will they give a Kid's size portion of an Adult selection?

My kids' love fried shrimp and fish! But I noticed that Columbia Harbor House doesn't have a fried shrimp and/or fish option on the child menu. Do you think they'll substitute a child-sized portion of shrimp or fish for a kid's meal? (BTW - We're on the DDP and would prefer to use our credits if possible.) TIA!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
baler31
DIS Veteran

Highly unlikely, but you can always ask. But if worked at CHH all CS locations would have to offer adult meals in a kids portion.

We had this problem as my kids never liked the children's menu choices. Main reason we never do the dining plan. My last just turned 10 but prior to that my kids wanted the adult choices and it just made better sense for them to share one adult meal or order appetizers that appealed to them
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I highly doubt it, but you can always ask. Just don't be upset if the answer is no. Almost all eating locations have a children's menu and those are the items available for a child credit
Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Unlikely. I've never seen anyone post that they were able to get a child sized portion of an adult meal and use a child's credit. You can ask, but be prepared to use an adult credit and share the meal with your child. Or you can order a child's meal and an adult's meal and trade entrees.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
makingplans4WDW
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the advice! I guess it never hurts to ask but I'll definitely be prepared to pay out of pocket or share this meal. Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
2girlsmom
DIS Veteran

For what it's worth, I was told the last time we were on the dining plan that counter service credits were not seperated adult vs child, only table service credits had the differentiation.

& Lucky
2girlsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmom
For what it's worth, I was told the last time we were on the dining plan that counter service credits were not seperated adult vs child, only table service credits had the differentiation.
Yay! That is all I am saying .

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmom
This has been true, however, we were stopped once (at the Pop food court) when we had more adult meals than number of adults on our KTTW cards. Oops.

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran

I have been able to get a kid's meal at the Boardwalk Bakery as I can't eat that much. Plus I didn't like the adult counter service on what was offered. Thus the kids meal. But they do take my adult credit which is okay with me Not sure about other places.
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmom View Post
Disney's own rules state that those using Kid's credits MUST order from the kid's menu. When you go to check out your card will say X adults and Y children. You will NOT be allowed to purchase more then that number of meals. So, if you have 2 adults and 1 child you will only be allowed to purchase 2 adults meals and 1 child meal... you would not be allowed to purchase 3 adult meals.

And just a warning, posts like this are often deleted and considered discussing ways to get around Disney's rules. It happens often on the Dining Plan boards.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Friendofpluto
DIS Veteran

Although, I would not feel comfortable doing so, the information posted on QS meals not being distinguished between adult and kids on the actual cards is accurate. I have heard stories of QS CM actually encouraging ordering this way to help from time to time. You can ask and see what they say.
Friendofpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Officially, kids on the DDP have to order from the kids' menu and adults on the DDP have to order from the adults' menu. Sometimes an individual CM will do you a favor and bend the rules, but you can't go in counting on that happening.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran

Funny as I was told as long as I didn't mind being charge an adult credit I could get a child meal. This was at the CS places and by Disney dining as well. Not cheating if you are letting them use your adult credit or pay out of pocket if you child want a certain item if only on adult menu. Disney doesn't mind taking your money lol MHO
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

I would suggest sharing the fried shrimp with your child. As with all the CS restaurants in WDW, portions are massive and can be shared by two, sometimes even three.

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
makingplans4WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
I would suggest sharing the fried shrimp with your child. As with all the CS restaurants in WDW, portions are massive and can be shared by two, sometimes even three.

Yes... This sounds like a plan! I think this is what we'll be doing. Thank you again for all the advice and guidance!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: