Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #2806
molitva
Mouseketeer

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm getting hungry!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #2807
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Wow, I missed a whole (week)day and only had to catch up on 6 pages?!? Sweet! Everybody must be super busy getting ready for Thanksgiving ... I got home from the mainland at 10pm last night and found out this morning that we're having lunch at a cousin's house, and my grandmother instructed me not to make anything, so I get a nice relaxing holiday. Since my uncle who usually hosts this Thanksgiving passed away earlier this year I wasn't sure what we'd be doing or if I'd even be here given that I fly standby, but it'll be nice to see the extended family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy tink View Post
Congratulations! That is good news. I know you wanted to come to California but honestly the state is so messed up right now, I would move away if I had the chance!
Thank you. Its funny I hear a lot of Californians saying that these days ... yet there's still hundreds of people at every test I go to for jobs ... grass is always greener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructsean View Post
Today we have to go apply for our marriage license. One of the least fun and exciting parts of all of this, haha.
I actually liked the marriage license part. It lends the whole occasion gravitas, makes it real. Because, in the end, a wedding is just a party to celebrate the marriage, and the marriage is when you strip it down: a contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn View Post
Congrats! I hope you are able to plan that 2013 trip!

I'm in the process of putting together a cover letter for a job opening in my area. I was a receptionist for almost 10 years before getting laid off 3 years ago. There hasn't really been much available in my field. Those that are, are too far away and I wouldn't be able to pick up DS10 from his school's aftercare program in time. Plus now with the holiday rush upon us, most companies are only looking for seasonal help or temporary work, which I can't do.

My only problem is putting together the cover letter. For me, that is the most difficult thing for me to do. I always wind up getting writer's block, even looking at the samples online to help me out. DH said he will help me out today with it. He has more experience with cover letters than I do.
Thanks, DH isn't budging on the idea of a 2nd WDW trip yet, listing airfare as his main objection. And he's right, it would be high airfare. But I can't help but thinking $3 APs + we could just use a few DVC points and getting a WDW trip for the cost of airfare? When is it ever going to be that easy again? Come on, enablers, help me think of some more arguments ...

For the cover letter, I liked a book called The Perfect Cover Letter, because it gives you hundreds of generic examples for people in different stages of various careers and situations ... I often start with a couple of lines copied and pasted from those examples, then start writing what should come next, then I go back at the end and change the copy/pasted ones later. They are a beast to write though. I always feel kind of phony talking myself up and selling myself. Partly a hazard of being female (and Asian) I think, haveing been taught all throughout my life to be humble and not brag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamerMN View Post
Just completed online check-in! 10 Days! So excited
Oooh, I should go do that!
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #2808
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

I also get to start doing the single digit dance today!

I'm finally able to start getting excited! When I left my best friend's house yesterday, I said to him "I'll see you ... in a week! IN FLORIDA!" and that's when it hit me that its really that close! Must start packing now ...

Happy Thanksgiving all!
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #2809
M&MGirl1
Mouseketeer

Happy Turkey Day to all my fellow Dis Roll Call Buddies! May you all have a fantastic holiday!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #2810
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Foo-foo coffee with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.....doesn't get much better than that....oh, wait......yes it can! Foo-foo coffee in my POR resort room
Old 11-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #2811
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren
Wow, I missed a whole (week)day and only had to catch up on 6 pages?!? Sweet! Everybody must be super busy getting ready for Thanksgiving ... I got home from the mainland at 10pm last night and found out this morning that we're having lunch at a cousin's house, and my grandmother instructed me not to make anything, so I get a nice relaxing holiday. Since my uncle who usually hosts this Thanksgiving passed away earlier this year I wasn't sure what we'd be doing or if I'd even be here given that I fly standby, but it'll be nice to see the extended family.

Thank you. Its funny I hear a lot of Californians saying that these days ... yet there's still hundreds of people at every test I go to for jobs ... grass is always greener.

I actually liked the marriage license part. It lends the whole occasion gravitas, makes it real. Because, in the end, a wedding is just a party to celebrate the marriage, and the marriage is when you strip it down: a contract.

Thanks, DH isn't budging on the idea of a 2nd WDW trip yet, listing airfare as his main objection. And he's right, it would be high airfare. But I can't help but thinking $3 APs + we could just use a few DVC points and getting a WDW trip for the cost of airfare? When is it ever going to be that easy again? Come on, enablers, help me think of some more arguments ...

For the cover letter, I liked a book called The Perfect Cover Letter, because it gives you hundreds of generic examples for people in different stages of various careers and situations ... I often start with a couple of lines copied and pasted from those examples, then start writing what should come next, then I go back at the end and change the copy/pasted ones later. They are a beast to write though. I always feel kind of phony talking myself up and selling myself. Partly a hazard of being female (and Asian) I think, haveing been taught all throughout my life to be humble and not brag.

Oooh, I should go do that!
Marriage... A contract... So romantic!! So true though!!

So this is how I got my October 2013 trip- points are very low = cost very low, passes "Almost Free" it's going to cost about $100 to upgrade to DVC PAP for the both of us. Disney passes for $50 each- yep that's almost free in my book. Our TiW card will still be valid..... Airfare will be our biggest expense... Maybe we want to move south so driving may be an option, or we might get a southwest card closer to when we know where we will live and use points if they have the 50K promo.... Plus the idea of being adults for 4 or 5 days was appealing and relaxing (grown up restaurants, drinks, no nap time or early bed times!)

Plus the discounts we can use on this trip are a plus as well :D
Old 11-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #2812
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Another online check-in question

I'll be doing this tomorrow us, but I'm not sure what online check-in does? Do we by-pass the check-in line when we arrive by doing this or is there a designated line for those that have done it online?

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
Old 11-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #2813
tmbowers
Mouseketeer

Happy Thanksgiving friends! Hope everyone has a wonderful day! We are headed to my sisters for dinner. I'm going to wear my stretchy pants!

Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #2814
sahmoffour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn View Post
I'll be doing this tomorrow us, but I'm not sure what online check-in does? Do we by-pass the check-in line when we arrive by doing this or is there a designated line for those that have done it online?
There's a designated line for guests who've done online check-in which is usually shorter. Plus they'll have all your package put together and ready for you, so it makes your check-in faster.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #2815
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn
There is a separate line at each resort for those who already checked in online. In theory it should be shorter but I think it really comes down to how many people arrive at a given time and have done online checkin vs not. Basically they already have all your info from checking in online so they just need to give you your paperwork, KTTW cards, etc

I won't do it this time because I'd like to have the option to have a CM move our rooms closer together if my parents don't end up near us. We did mark that on our original reservation but you never know.

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #2816
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

DD made a little Thanksgiving treat I thought I'd share :-)

Hope you're all having a fun and thankful day

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #2817
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2travel View Post
There is a separate line at each resort for those who already checked in online. In theory it should be shorter but I think it really comes down to how many people arrive at a given time and have done online checkin vs not. Basically they already have all your info from checking in online so they just need to give you your paperwork, KTTW cards, etc

I won't do it this time because I'd like to have the option to have a CM move our rooms closer together if my parents don't end up near us. We did mark that on our original reservation but you never know.
I did it for our first night, but the majority of our trip (7 nights) I am not doing it. With so many people, I don't want to have to worry about my CC being attached to room keys. Plus I have trust issues with my Mom and she has a room at ASM the first night...

Quote:

So cute!!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #2818
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Cute!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #2819
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Has anyone used transportation from MCO other than DME? We're staying our first night at Universal so won't be able to use DME until the return trip home. I'm stuck trying to decide whether to use Mears or an airport shuttle....the shuttle seems a little cheaper (by $6) but I don't want it to take forever, kwim? Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #2820
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack

I have a room only reservation for our first night at POR......this is because the Free Dining Plan started on the 10th and we were arriving on the 9th. So one night Room Only and the last 7nights a package with FD. Do you think it would be complicated to do online check in for me?
I have a split stay and Im assuming I have to check in twice. Someone correct me if Im wrong.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: