Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #31
vleeth
I heart Disney

If you're doing an FE exchange you are already giving your personal info to people you don't know. Your kids names, ages, favorite character, as well as the names of the parents and siblings. It doesn't do much good to not put your kids names on the fe if your giving them to the fe group. The fe group is a smaller population than the entire ship...but you don't know those people either.

This will be our first Disney cruise. We will have our first names on the fe and maybe on some magnets. I know so many people who have lived through horrible things. Between that and my daughter being 7, I don't plan on her ever being without one of us unless she's in the club, so I don't see it as a big deal if people know her name.
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #32
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva
Just a heads up for those that put their last names on their door. A number of times I got separated from my husband who had my beach bag while at the pool and such. And I was able to order drinks by just giving my room number. I told the first waiter that he was very trusting. But he said that he just checks to make sure the name matches up with the room number. I probably bought a half dozen drinks without my room key this past September. So if someone was very sneaky and learned that information from your door, they could really rack up a bar bill for someone.
Well, they do see your photo when they put in your room number, so it's probably unlikely that someone would get very far with just your room number and last name. At least in the bars where the cashier can easily see whether you match your photo. The pools might be a little easier, but I've never heard of this happening (doesn't mean it hasn't, though!)
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #33
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
If you're doing an FE exchange you are already giving your personal info to people you don't know. Your kids names, ages, favorite character, as well as the names of the parents and siblings. It doesn't do much good to not put your kids names on the fe if your giving them to the fe group. The fe group is a smaller population than the entire ship...but you don't know those people either.
Not necessarily. Who says those in the FE need to know who you really are, names wise? Ok, so you may get personalized items that are not in your name, but no biggie. Some more infamous people may go incognito until they are actually on board!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #34
Seamama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
You have a point though I would add that my family tends on the private side and we were able to participate in an FE exchange w/out giving out any personal info... each member of our family had a silly pseudonym and I provided my "alternate email" (doesn't use my real name) to the organizer who sent out the spreadsheet. I had just one person ask for my kids' first initials for a gift she was making, which I gave her. Our FE pockets had Disney characters on them w/ the same pseudonyms. We left no personally identifying info on anything that went on our door. I did go to our group's "meet and greet" and there, I gave my real (first) name to the people I met in person, which is the same as I would do whether or not I'd "met" them online here. Just wanted to throw it out there for folks like myself, who tend to me more cautious.
Seamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #35
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
Well, they do see your photo when they put in your room number, so it's probably unlikely that someone would get very far with just your room number and last name. At least in the bars where the cashier can easily see whether you match your photo. The pools might be a little easier, but I've never heard of this happening (doesn't mean it hasn't, though!)
Well, I would say you are right. But I really don't think they pay that much attention. One of the servers transposed our stateroom number and never even noticed it. I was the one that realized they had the wrong name and stateroom number when I went to sign. So either the woman in that stateroom is my double, or they don't really pay much attention to those pictures.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #36
codex57
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
I wonder if all staff check that carefully. Like with the Aquaduck, some are more lax with the rules than others.
codex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #37
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena
None. No names, no fish extender. No magnets on the front of doors. Any magnets acquired (except the DVC one they pass out on the ship) go on the back of the door to prevent theft.

It's like a hotel room at sea, at a hotel on land I don't advertise who is in the room either.
This will be like my family on our upcoming cruise.

While I admit to being a tad overcautious, I do think that in this day and age it's important to guard one's privacy. Better to be safe than sorry.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #38
Dzhenna
Planner Extraordinaire

I guess the consensus is share what you feel comfortable sharing. We had first and last names on various magnets both times and for our upcoming cruise. Our FE has our first initial but no names.
Dzhenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #39
zstyles
Mouseketeer

We put our family name and lots of fun stuff on the door! Heck they leave letters addressed to our family on the door, we had no issues with that...its just a name!

We didn't do the message exchange thing, we had wave phones, I saw some people with "message boards" on the door and went back two days later and walked by glanced at it...same message still there I think the "magic" wore off after a day or two for most "message leavers"....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: