Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4boys
How much personal info do you put on your doors and fe extenders?
Our FE says "The Sanders Family" and our 1st names are on our magnets.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4boys View Post
How much personal info do you put on your doors and fe extenders?
I tell nobody but nobody my weight!!
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
skypixy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
I tell nobody but nobody my weight!!
Hahahaha!

Me DH DS14 DS10

Skypixy
skypixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
mom of a lil pirate
Mouseketeer

I had our first names, and then the cabin number on our FE and first names on magnets. I totally get others concerns though.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #20
socababy
DIS Veteran

I have our first names on magnets and a few photos turned into magnets. My kids are still young so they are either with me or in the Kids Club. Ds9 doesn't even get to check himself into or out of the Kid's Club on his own. I may be more cautious when they are older and have more indepedence.
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
missj1975
DIS Veteran

I totally see people's concerns about not putting info on their FE but on the other hand, just because I put my last name on my FE doesn't mean I am "letting my guard down" or "inviting trouble." People need to just do whatever they are comfortable with. I am perfectly comfortable letting strangers know my last name, I am aware of safety issues, I am well aware bad things can happen anywhere, and I am not concerned.
missj1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
I am always amazed when delivering FE gifts at how much information people put on their doors.

- first names
- last names
- photos
- message boards with where they will be and when

It's like every single thing we all learned about staying safe is just abandoned. WHen I inquired about it here on DIS after my first cruise people replied with comments basically equating to, "We're on a Disney ship! What could possibly happen?!?!"

With room up and down hallways. With cabins everywhere that someone could be pulled into. With people that have access to you and your family 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but a LOT could happen. Don't let your smarts slip away just because you are on a cruise ship, and a Disney cruise ship at that. If you would not post it on the front door of your house, why would you post it on the front door of you home for a week?

Sounds like a perfect place to me, imho, doesn't it? Kids. Parents have their guard down. Access. Why let your guard down? Just my opinion....

- Dreams
It's not like I let my kids roam around and "trust" that nothing will happen. As I mentioned previously, they are always with us or in the club. I don't think I am letting my guard down by putting our names on a door if they are with us 24/7. Their first and last names have to be on everything at school, too. And also, our last name *is* on display in our front entry -- it is the only existing part of my grandparents' home that we kept and we like having it there to remember them (a little old beat up plaque). To me, FE and magnets aren't anything to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missj1975 View Post
I totally see people's concerns about not putting info on their FE but on the other hand, just because I put my last name on my FE doesn't mean I am "letting my guard down" or "inviting trouble." People need to just do whatever they are comfortable with. I am perfectly comfortable letting strangers know my last name, I am aware of safety issues, I am well aware bad things can happen anywhere, and I am not concerned.
Exactly what I was trying to say! Thank you for explaining much better than I did haha.

Last edited by twopeasonepod; 11-05-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Adding quote by missj1975!
twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
I am in the minority here, I guess. Our last name is on our FE, and we all have our first names on our pockets. And each of us has our first name on a magnet. I understand the concern of others. I'm just not that worried about it. The boys are only with us or in the Lab. And those that will use the FE are all on a FB page with much more personal info on it. I know others can see the FE, but I don't think kidnappers/predators/weirdos make it a point to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to find victims. I
I totally agree (well, we don't do the FE thing, but we do lots of magnets with names!). Our kids are either in the clubs or with us. Period. They don't have self-check out privileges. We know people who let their young children take naps by themselves in their cabins. We don't -- I don't fully trust the crew, and I don't trust who might knock on the door and get let in by my all-too-trusting 7 year old.

And we have constant talks with our girls about the issue. You're right -- it's not "stranger danger" that's the biggest problem. We showed our kids a John Walsh produced video (can't remember the name!) that talks about "Safe Side Adults". These are the people that you tell your kids they can absolutely trust. If that person comes to pick them up, then they can absolutely without question go with them. We have three safe side adults. Everyone else, my kids can't go home with without prior approval (I think the video says there are "sorta knows" or "kinda knows" -- people who you *do* know but are not your "safe side adults". Then there are the "don't knows", the complete strangers).
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

None. No names, no fish extender. No magnets on the front of doors. Any magnets acquired (except the DVC one they pass out on the ship) go on the back of the door to prevent theft.

It's like a hotel room at sea, at a hotel on land I don't advertise who is in the room either.

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 11-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
We showed our kids a John Walsh produced video (can't remember the name!) that talks about "Safe Side Adults". These are the people that you tell your kids they can absolutely trust. If that person comes to pick them up, then they can absolutely without question go with them. We have three safe side adults. Everyone else, my kids can't go home with without prior approval (I think the video says there are "sorta knows" or "kinda knows" -- people who you *do* know but are not your "safe side adults". Then there are the "don't knows", the complete strangers).
It's called "The Safe Side: Stranger Safety"! I use it regularly in my practice. There is also one for internet safety. Awesome stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
None. No names, no fish extender. No magnets on the front of doors. Any magnets acquired (except the DVC one they pass out on the ship) go on the back of the door to prevent theft.

It's like a hotel room at sea, at a hotel on land I don't advertise who is in the room either.
The reason for the FE is to engage in a fun exchange with people you "meet" before the cruise. We don't expect people to give us gifts at a hotel, and that's why we don't advertise who is in the room. I'm also not going to be devastated if someone steals our magnets. I'd rather take the risk of them being snatched than ruin the fun of having them there. But that is just me. And they have never been stolen (except one time I could hear a very young child taking one and her parent gently redirecting her to put it back).

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

We have our last name on our FE, and I have magnets with our names on them. the kids like having their own FE pockets.

spend 5 minutes at the pool, you will be able to pick up on my childs name and just about every other child there from the parents calling them etc.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #27
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

I know what a Fish Extender is, I choose not to do it. Too much stuff to bring there and bring home. If I had one, I would not put my name on it. I prefer that my name is not displayed on my door. It would only show that this stateroom has a woman by herself in it.

We used to do that in college dorms...now I'm not sure it's even a good idea to do it in college.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Our FE says "The Sanders Family" and our 1st names are on our magnets.

Ditto. I guess I never really thought about it too much until reading this thread. Definitely food for thought.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #29
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post

Ditto. I want nothing identifying our cabin except the number. We live in a small town, my boys tend to be naive and I don't want to regret this decision later.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Just a heads up for those that put their last names on their door. A number of times I got separated from my husband who had my beach bag while at the pool and such. And I was able to order drinks by just giving my room number. I told the first waiter that he was very trusting. But he said that he just checks to make sure the name matches up with the room number. I probably bought a half dozen drinks without my room key this past September. So if someone was very sneaky and learned that information from your door, they could really rack up a bar bill for someone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: