Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
momma4boys
Earning My Ears

how much personal info on door?

How much personal info do you put on your doors and fe extenders?
Carnival Magic - January 2012
Disney Magic - Upcoming December 2012
momma4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4boys
Names. Mostly on the magnets.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4boys View Post
First names, DISnames, list of previous cruises.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
chateau
DIS Veteran

Do you want me to call you and your kids by name (since you put it out there)? Would you find that to be weird or uncomfortable? If 'yes' that would be weird, than don't put your names on there. Personally, I don't think people care a rodent's behind (not Mickey or Minnie, of course) that I'm there, so we don't.

Last edited by chateau; 11-05-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: .
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

This will be my first cruise in February, but I am sticking to first names only and I have fore warned my kids that if they are by the door and someone calls their name and says they know them - they don't and to walk away and to the first cast member they see. If they really do know me and my kids don't recognize them they will find me later.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

First names only--basically the same info that is embroidered on the backs of my children's Mickey ears or that is on the fronts of some of their personalized shirts.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
Aurora l
Earning My Ears

Hum, I've always wondered why... Any insights please.
Aurora l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We don't have any personal info. My FE has each person's favorite character on "their" pocket. When we have been given magnets with first names, I have used them, but don't bring them along. It's probably overkill, but......

The reason it is suggested to not put a child's name on a backpack, shirt, or whatever it that when someone calls the child by name, he/she might assume the person knows him and might go with him or do things he wouldn't do with a stranger. While the ship is safe, I don't regard it as any safer as on land.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

I am in the minority here, I guess. Our last name is on our FE, and we all have our first names on our pockets. And each of us has our first name on a magnet. I understand the concern of others. I'm just not that worried about it. The boys are only with us or in the Lab. And those that will use the FE are all on a FB page with much more personal info on it. I know others can see the FE, but I don't think kidnappers/predators/weirdos make it a point to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to find victims. I know anything can happen, but I haven't been concerned. Plus, where would they go?

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
I am in the minority here, I guess. Our last name is on our FE, and we all have our first names on our pockets. And each of us has our first name on a magnet. I understand the concern of others. I'm just not that worried about it. The boys are only with us or in the Lab. And those that will use the FE are all on a FB page with much more personal info on it. I know others can see the FE, but I don't think kidnappers/predators/weirdos make it a point to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to find victims. I know anything can happen, but I haven't been concerned. Plus, where would they go?
They can't GO off the ship, obviously....but that doesn't mean that they can't be attacked. There have been at least 3 instances of sexual assault on DCL ships that I'm aware of...and probably a lot more that I don't know about. I'm not a freak who sees danger everywhere, but I don't feel that one can just assume that because it is Disney, it is totally safe.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
They can't GO off the ship, obviously....but that doesn't mean that they can't be attacked. There have been at least 3 instances of sexual assault on DCL ships that I'm aware of...and probably a lot more that I don't know about. I'm not a freak who sees danger everywhere, but I don't feel that one can just assume that because it is Disney, it is totally safe.
Hello, fellow EBTA cruiser!

I think because of my job, I know that the biggest risk is actually from people kids know, not from strangers. The statistics are very skewed. I know one can never be too safe, but because the boys are never alone (unless in the Lab, and if something happened there that is a whole 'nother story), my Momma Bear instincts are way down for FE/magnets. Hibernating even!

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
texasgirl73
Obsessive Trip Planner

First names.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

First names on FE & magnets. We don't travel with kids
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

I am always amazed when delivering FE gifts at how much information people put on their doors.

- first names
- last names
- photos
- message boards with where they will be and when

It's like every single thing we all learned about staying safe is just abandoned. WHen I inquired about it here on DIS after my first cruise people replied with comments basically equating to, "We're on a Disney ship! What could possibly happen?!?!"

With room up and down hallways. With cabins everywhere that someone could be pulled into. With people that have access to you and your family 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but a LOT could happen. Don't let your smarts slip away just because you are on a cruise ship, and a Disney cruise ship at that. If you would not post it on the front door of your house, why would you post it on the front door of you home for a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Sounds like a perfect place to me, imho, doesn't it? Kids. Parents have their guard down. Access. Why let your guard down? Just my opinion....

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #15
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams
I am always amazed when delivering FE gifts at how much information people put on their doors.

- first names
- last names
- photos
- message boards with where they will be and when

It's like every single thing we all learned about staying safe is just abandoned. WHen I inquired about it here on DIS after my first cruise people replied with comments basically equating to, "We're on a Disney ship! What could possibly happen?!?!"

With room up and down hallways. With cabins everywhere that someone could be pulled into. With people that have access to you and your family 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but a LOT could happen. Don't let your smarts slip away just because you are on a cruise ship, and a Disney cruise ship at that. If you would not post it on the front door of your house, why would you post it on the front door of you home for a week?

Sounds like a perfect place to me, imho, doesn't it? Kids. Parents have their guard down. Access. Why let your guard down? Just my opinion....

- Dreams
True, you need to be careful. And you make some valid points. Disney magic does nothing when a felon, career pedophile or other lowlife creeper is on the prowl. But my guard is never, ever down - no matter where we are. First names are fine with me on FE. Going to school in a big city taught me how to have eyes on all sides of my head. It has served me well in life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: