Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
momwdd
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Howling Dog-Site Recommendations? HELP!

Hi everybody,

My rotten chihuahua has many bad habits-one of which is her incessant howling when left alone. We are coming to FW in Feburary, 2013-we don't want to bother any other Happy Campers!

It's OK to be far away from the action because we will rent a golf cart to get to and from the settlement, etc. This will be the first time we have ever camped in our lives, any recommendations about anything would be helpful!

WE ARE CLUELESS!

Thanks so much mouseketeers!! So excited!!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Tented1
Mouseketeer

This post was so unusual I HAD to look!

There are more experienced here but I would suggest asking that the howler ( bless its heart :-)) be noted on your ressies. Also fax in to FW about a week to ten before and make a request again on check in. I'm sure your thoughtfulness will be greatly appreciated!

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
momwdd
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Thanks, Tented1!

I should have specified that we will be in an RV.

Loop 1500 seems to be away from the action...I wonder if that would work.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Cousin Ed C
Mouseketeer

There are no site without neighbors. It would not be right to ask others to endure the howling. We always travel with our dog but would not if he was a bother to others. The Best Friends Kennel is just down the road from the Fort. It's expensive but handy.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Tiggerkmp
Earning My Ears

This may sound harsh, but as a fellow dog owner, please leave the howler at home or boarding! The sites are NOT so far apart that the howling would be extremely upsetting to anyone near you, possible far from you as well. I would think you plan on being in the parks during much of the day, do you really want the dog in your camper howling for hours? It would just be a bad situation for you, your dog and the campers around you.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
photogal06
Mouseketeer

The 3000 loop? Joking! There's nowhere you can camp at the Fort where a howling dog wouldn't drive your neighbors bonkers, even if it's in an RV The sites are close together no matter which loop you're in.

February 2001--Fort Wilderness
March 2005--Fort Wilderness
November 2008--Fort Wilderness
December 2009--Bay Lake Tower
November 2010--Fort Wilderness
Halloween 2011--Fort Wilderness
June 2012--The Polynesian
November 2012--Fort Wilderness
Hoping for 2015!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
momwdd
Earning My Ears

Ok! Ok!

I knew there was a reason why I should never camp!

photogal-I've done research before now...very funny Loop 3000.

Wow, y'all know how to make a family feel welcome.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
ob1quixote
Mouseketeer

Does she howl at home too? Maybe you can check with your vet about some "doggie downers" to help the little gal with her separation issues, and have time to test them out for how long it takes to start to kick in, and how long the effect lasts BEFORE your trip.

Once you get to FW, you'll know what how much lead time you need to dose her, and what time you need to be back by to prevent disturbing the neighborhood when the effects taper off.

Gotta agree, there are no sites that are not very close to others!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Tented1
Mouseketeer

It's a chihuahua in an RV. Now I've got a cur that weighs 90 - 100 lbs and when he howls it is LOUD! Besides as stated aren't most people in the parks? Also how do you know the dog howls the whole time your away. At 1 point we were going to bring our inside Yorkie and put him at Best Friends Pet Kennel while in the parks and pick him up when at FW.

Also whose to say there might not be an empty site in Feb. that they could put her next to.

At least she had the courtesy to ask. She didn't have to and doesn't have to be accommodating to others except by choice. The Fort allows pets in pet loops. If you are a pet owner and camp in a pet loop that's part of it isn't it? No dogs in the loops ever bark, howl, whine or misbehave?

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
ob1quixote
Mouseketeer

She asked, and I applaud that. She thinks it may be an issue to her neighbors and wants to proactive, applaud that too.

Maybe there will be an open slot they can put her by, who knows? But what is known is that they will put pet owners in non-pet loops on a regular basis.

I hope she finds a solution and enjoys her visit to FW!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
photofreak
Camping & Disney!! The 2 best things together in one!!

I'm glad you had the courtesy to ask. We have no animals and were recently put in a per friendly loop. Most dogs were phenomenal and I can handle an occasional bark. But we had a dog that sounded like an attack dog behind us. Loud, growling, barking. Ughh. It was awful. I have more of an issue with the fort putting us where they did since we have no pets and weren't even suppose to be in that loop. I'd look into some of the good suggestions on here and see what transpires.
Jan/Feb 2010 Fort Wilderness Big Bear Path 1400 loop
Oct/Nov 2011 Fort Wilderness Palmetto Path 200 loop (took our besties for their 1st trip )
Oct/Nov 2012 Fort Wilderness Buffalo Bend 500 loop

Looking forward to 2013 Halloween at the Fort!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
momwdd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tented1 View Post
It's a chihuahua in an RV. Now I've got a cur that weighs 90 - 100 lbs and when he howls it is LOUD! Besides as stated aren't most people in the parks? Also how do you know the dog howls the whole time your away. At 1 point we were going to bring our inside Yorkie and put him at Best Friends Pet Kennel while in the parks and pick him up when at FW.

Also whose to say there might not be an empty site in Feb. that they could put her next to.

At least she had the courtesy to ask. She didn't have to and doesn't have to be accommodating to others except by choice. The Fort allows pets in pet loops. If you are a pet owner and camp in a pet loop that's part of it isn't it? No dogs in the loops ever bark, howl, whine or misbehave?
Tented1 for president!!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Have you tried leaving the tv on, so the dog doesn't feel that she is alone? I'm sure she is barking because she hears the noise outside...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
littlesighthounds
Earning My Ears

I would suggest that you talk to a dog trainer. You have plenty of time to work on the howling issue. There are some fairly simple steps to make your sweetie less stressed when you leave and a good trainer will help. That way she will be less stressed,, you will be less stressed and your trip will be enjoyable for all of you. Your vet should be able to suggest a trainer near you. I have done wonders in just a few short visits with other babies just like yours. Not to say that you can't bring her and let her howl but if you are anything like me you will worry about it all day. Enjoy your trip
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
momwdd
Earning My Ears

Here's what we decided...

We have reserved 7 sites right next to each other!!!! Will park the RV in the 4th spot, hopefully cushioning our pup's noise from neighbors. As of now, there is only one other RV booked in the loop-away from our site. As usual, Disney CM I spoke to was very helpful.

I just purchased multiple $100 Mickey gift cards to hand out should a neighbor complain. This is costing a fortune...but it's the only way I can grant my little girl's wishes...to stay "in the bubble" and to be able to bring her 4-lb pup with us! (and if my neighbors don't complain, I can use the gift cards to pay for things at the end of our stay!!)

If any neighbors are still unhappy, we will retreat gracefully into a rental house, as usual.

There goes the college fund...just kidding! Kinda...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: