Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Swollen, red, chapped, peeling lips - Allergy??

My DH is suffering for a second time in 6 months from waking to red painfully swollen lips - looks like plastic surgery gone bad It lasted about 6 weeks last time. His Dr. doesn't have a clue and no new foods have been ingested! Anyone out there ever heard of this, and what did you do to ease the discomfort and problem? Our luck - we have been out of town both times - the first time was in Disney.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
bellaally
DIS Veteran

It sounds like an allergic reaction or an insect bite. Once I woke up with swollen lips and it looked like plastic surgery. I noticed a spider bite marking. Now if your kid is allergic to spiders or if its a more dangerous type. Also just because they have eaten the food before doesn't mean you can't develop an allergy. Does Benadryl make it better?

bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Costumesaremylife
If someone's baking. I'm eating.
Jerry O'Connell once said "Hello" to me. I am still recovering from it
I saw Rodney Dangerfield in his underwear

Did you get new pillows or anything?
Costumesaremylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Did you switch toothpaste?
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the suggestions, but no to all the things mentioned that may have been changed. I have looked at online message boards and everyone else has the same symptoms with no life changes (or bites). When we get home he will go to get tested for allergies, but we really don't think that's *it* because so many others mentioned going through the testing and nothing showing up - really weird
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
set1208
Mouseketeer

I get cold sores that make my lips itchy and peel and swell. Maybe it's something viral like that? Good luck!
May 2010.....ASMu Mother/Daughter Trip for DD's 10th Birthday
February 2009.....CBR family trip
October 2004.....Pop Century, MNSSHP with me and DD
set1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
ZeroMyHero
Mouseketeer

Does your DH use lip balm? I recently developed an allergy to an ingredient in the lip balm I've used for decades. I had to use Baby Aquaphor for a few months to heal them. The lanolin in that ointment is really good for sensitive skin. Anyway, after some trial and error, I found a new lip balm with ingredients I'm not allergic to (so far, anyway). I don't have any other allergies to anything, so it never occurred to me that I could become allergic to something I've used for years and years. Just a thought - hope he feels better soon.
Coronado Springs May '08
Port Orleans Riverside April '13
Port Orleans Riverside 2015
ZeroMyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
mousefan5
Mouseketeer

Did you husband's lips get sunburned? This summer I was on a weeklong bike trip and the first couple days I did not apply sunscreen to my lips. It was the most awful thing I had experienced in a long time. The only thing that helped was a lip balm to help with the pain and ibrofen.
mousefan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Samar
DIS Veteran

I 2nd the idea of sunburn. I got sunburnt lips twice this summer and had they not been so gross looking, Angelina Jolie would've ha a run for her money

99- ASMu 00- Off 01- Off 03- Off (mom's house) 05-Off (mom's) 06- Off Dec/Jan 08- High Point World Resort and The Palms Hotel and Villas AKL-Jambo July, 2010 POR August 2012 Disney Dream- 1st cruise! Sept 2013
Samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

If he hasn't had any other symptoms, I'm betting it's sunburn, or he was eating a lot of salty foods previous to the outbreaks. The skin on the lips is very sensitive and can be burnt by salt. Couple that with the fact that eating salty foods can often cause you to lick your lips, which dries lips out even more, and you have a nice little cocktail of lip pain. For me, tortilla chips are the worst. If you discover that this could be the problem, just have him slather on some lip protecting lip balm before consuming anything salt covered, and avoid lip licking.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
mommy2paisley
DIS Veteran

Could it be thrush?

Next Disney vacation is two whole weeks starting Labor Day weekend!!!
mommy2paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

I get swollen lips (really really swollen and it has been in all different environments) The doctors swear it was allergies but it was hives. Stress related hives. I took benedryl to get the swelling to try and go down but it really didnt work well, all that worked for the most part was time. Doctors swore that it was not stress related but since the stress has been removed I have had no more swelling. A few times it was my lips, then a few other times my eyes...
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

OP here - we are home and my dh has an appointment with an allergist, but we are not optimistic at all from the reports of others with same condition.

It is definitely not stress related, not sunburn, lip balm, nor no new foods introduced anytime near the two times he has had the problems. The condition waxes and wans, but lasts 6-8 wks. It is not contagious, but is very uncomfortable - burning, peeling, etc. - and the poor fellow looks like he has clown lips

Thanks again for replies
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I know I am late to the party, but I just wanted to say that some tomato-based products, especially sun-dried tomatoes, do this to me... sometimes. I think it depends on whether they touch my lips while I'm eating them.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #15
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
OP here - we are home and my dh has an appointment with an allergist, but we are not optimistic at all from the reports of others with same condition.

It is definitely not stress related, not sunburn, lip balm, nor no new foods introduced anytime near the two times he has had the problems. The condition waxes and wans, but lasts 6-8 wks. It is not contagious, but is very uncomfortable - burning, peeling, etc. - and the poor fellow looks like he has clown lips

Thanks again for replies
I have a coworker who fought this exact same thing for over a year, before an allergist found she had suddenly developed several food allergies. All were to foods that she had always eaten (shellfish, tomatoes, some nuts, etc). They're not sure why she suddenly without any warning developed food allergies to foods she's always eaten. There wasn't anything new (no new foods, laundry detergents, linens, stress, etc).
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: