Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer
 
Swirly girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165

Grand Floridian question, if you would be so kind?

My mom is surprising my 3 daughters next November, and taking them ( and me) to Disney. My girls will be 17,16, & 14 then.
She wanted us to celebrate my oldest daughter graduating from high school that June ( after we have beento Disney)
We want to go at this time, because of less crowds, and Mickeys Christmas party.
My husband, kids and I just got back from vacation, and we were at MNSSHP.
So, we wanted do something different.
We want to stay at The Grand Floridian, main building, room with a theme park view, and thinking about club level.
My first question is, I have read that most all club level rooms have are "dormer"
And I've read, the view is blocked because of the balcony.
We want a balcony,but we don't want our view blocked!
Is this possible?
My second question... If any if you would be so kind, and be willing, to share what you paid, and what was included in that? Room Type, view, building, club level.
Also, we will be doing 2 or 3 character meals, but probably not a dining plan unless it would be part of a special. None if us are big eaters. So, I just don't feel the money ( $55 per night, per person ) would be worth it.
I've been told we would have to purchase that, for all 6 ( or 7) days. It would be a really big waste.

Money is not a real issue, but I would like to save money, or get a deal if I can! It's just how I roll
It seems like it will cost between $6,000-8,000 roughly. That is including park tickets. Nothing else. Airfare we will be purchasing separate.
That was right thru Disney, no special savings or anything. But, I will keep checking to see if any new offers come up, as well as checking with a couple different online places I found out about on here! And our local travel agent.
Any help will be so appreciated! I'm just curious ad to what other people have, or will be paying, and what that all included.

Last edited by Swirly girls; 11-03-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 11,013

You can find the current rack rates for your dates for all of the room categories at GF at this link:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/res...ason+-+Weekday

Of course if you are going next November, the rates will have gone up again by then.

As you will note, there are several categories of club level rooms, depending on the building and view. Of course a theme park view will be one of the most expensive categories. On the site given is a detailed description of the rooms and all of the amenities and services that come with that room.

You can probably do room and tickets for the maximum price you have estimated. However this will not include any meals. Don't underestimate the cost of dining at WDW (club level or not). The cost of only eating CS (since you say you aren't interested in the dining plan, I'm assuming you are only planning one or two TS meals) is still a considerable sum for 5 Disney adults. Take a good look at the prices on the menus and figure out a rough dining budget for your stay. And don't forget to budget a bit for incidental spending and souvenirs.

You will have to decide whether you will book well in advance in order to ensure you get the resort and room category that you want, or wait and hope that a good room-only discount comes out (since you aren't interested in a dining plan). A good TA who is a Disney Specialist should do this for you. You can check on mousesavers.com for their historical record of what types of discounts have previously been issued for your proposed dates.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,455

To get an idea of cost, you can price out what you want on the wdw web site with this years November specials. Go to the wdw web site and click on Special Offers.
CL includes their Lounge with continental breakfast, snacks during the day, nothing special, just chips, etc they have cold drinks and coffee/tea all day late afternoon around 5:00 appies, wine & beer, then a bit later desserts and cordials.
You also get the services of the CL IPO to assist you with any planning, making reservations for meals, tours, etc.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"
 
phyllis1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,988

Last year, we were surprised with a free upgrade to Main building club level with a theme park view! We were on the fourth floor with a standard room, no dormer, so a full balcony. If I recall correctly, none of the fourth floor them park view rooms were dormer rooms. I'm pretty sure that the rate for that room last November was about $850! We were so spoiled after that trip!




__________________
First Trip - May 1997 (rack rate-who knew?!)::October 2002 - DD's 1st trip!
November 2003::April/May 2004 (unexpected B-day trip for DD)
November 2004::Grand Californian: Disneyland for the 1st time! - June 2005
May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
phyllis1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer
 
Swirly girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
You can find the current rack rates for your dates for all of the room categories at GF at this link:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/res...ason+-+Weekday

Of course if you are going next November, the rates will have gone up again by then.

As you will note, there are several categories of club level rooms, depending on the building and view. Of course a theme park view will be one of the most expensive categories. On the site given is a detailed description of the rooms and all of the amenities and services that come with that room.

You can probably do room and tickets for the maximum price you have estimated. However this will not include any meals. Don't underestimate the cost of dining at WDW (club level or not). The cost of only eating CS (since you say you aren't interested in the dining plan, I'm assuming you are only planning one or two TS meals) is still a considerable sum for 5 Disney adults. Take a good look at the prices on the menus and figure out a rough dining budget for your stay. And don't forget to budget a bit for incidental spending and souvenirs.

You will have to decide whether you will book well in advance in order to ensure you get the resort and room category that you want, or wait and hope that a good room-only discount comes out (since you aren't interested in a dining plan). A good TA who is a Disney Specialist should do this for you. You can check on mousesavers.com for their historical record of what types of discounts have previously been issued for your proposed dates.
We still are deciding on the dining plan, but when we figure the cost of that all if us will around $1900.00, I can't imagine we will eat that much food!
We just got back from our vacation, so we are well aware of the cost of food and siouvnirs. Our vacation was 11 days, and we did not spend $2000.00 on food/ beverages. And, we did 2 character meals.
We went estimating $1,000 a day, and we came home with money
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
sheilanne
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls
My mom is surprising my 3 daughters next November, and taking them ( and me) to Disney. My girls will be 17,16, & 14 then.
She wanted us to celebrate my oldest daughter graduating from high school that June ( after we have beento Disney)
We want to go at this time, because of less crowds, and Mickeys Christmas party.
My husband, kids and I just got back from vacation, and we were at MNSSHP.
So, we wanted do something different.
We want to stay at The Grand Floridian, main building, room with a theme park view, and thinking about club level.
My first question is, I have read that most all club level rooms have are "dormer"
And I've read, the view is blocked because of the balcony.
We want a balcony,but we don't want our view blocked!
Is this possible?
My second question... If any if you would be so kind, and be willing, to share what you paid, and what was included in that? Room Type, view, building, club level.
Also, we will be doing 2 or 3 character meals, but probably not a dining plan unless it would be part of a special. None if us are big eaters. So, I just don't feel the money ( $55 per night, per person ) would be worth it.
I've been told we would have to purchase that, for all 6 ( or 7) days. It would be a really big waste.

Money is not a real issue, but I would like to save money, or get a deal if I can! It's just how I roll
It seems like it will cost between $6,000-8,000 roughly. That is including park tickets. Nothing else. Airfare we will be purchasing separate.
That was right thru Disney, no special savings or anything. But, I will keep checking to see if any new offers come up, as well as checking with a couple different online places I found out about on here! And our local travel agent.
Any help will be so appreciated! I'm just curious ad to what other people have, or will be paying, and what that all included.
My family will be arriving 11-27 and staying until 12-4 at Bay Lake tower. There are 4 adults, a six year old and an infant. We have 7 day park Hopper tickets and couldn't get any kind of discount. Just the tickets and the room were 7000. I'm debating adding the DXDP which will be 2500 more. We started to book GF but decided on BLY because of the extra room and kitchen for the infant. Its so hard to decide what is right for your family. Good Luck.
sheilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Marthasor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,659

You may already know this, but all main building rooms at GF are club level. There are different room categories in the main building - standard, theme park view, etc. - but they are all club level. You don't have the choice of adding on this option. We stayed in the main building, theme park view in May and we were also on the fourth floor. We had a straight-on, unobstructed view of the castle. It was very nice and we could see the fireworks from our balcony at night as well. If you book theme park view in the main building, you should get an unobstructed view.

When we went, rack rate for the room was about $900 a night, but I was able to get a bit of a discount. CL was nice - enjoyed breakfast in the morning and a place to relax and get a drink after being in the park all day. For your family, for six nights with park hopper tickets, I would expect to pay about $8000. I never buy the dining plan either.

Quite honestly, I found the GF rooms to be shabby and the concierge service left much to be desired. We have stayed CL at Poly and YC as well and I much prefer those lounges and concierge CM's. After staying at GF, my DH and I were very happy we didn't spend full price for the GF room - it's definitely not worth it.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer
 
Swirly girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
You may already know this, but all main building rooms at GF are club level. There are different room categories in the main building - standard, theme park view, etc. - but they are all club level. You don't have the choice of adding on this option. We stayed in the main building, theme park view in May and we were also on the fourth floor. We had a straight-on, unobstructed view of the castle. It was very nice and we could see the fireworks from our balcony at night as well. If you book theme park view in the main building, you should get an unobstructed view.

When we went, rack rate for the room was about $900 a night, but I was able to get a bit of a discount. CL was nice - enjoyed breakfast in the morning and a place to relax and get a drink after being in the park all day. For your family, for six nights with park hopper tickets, I would expect to pay about $8000. I never buy the dining plan either.

Quite honestly, I found the GF rooms to be shabby and the concierge service left much to be desired. We have stayed CL at Poly and YC as well and I much prefer those lounges and concierge CM's. After staying at GF, my DH and I were very happy we didn't spend full price for the GF room - it's definitely not worth it.
Really?
Which did you recommend? We really do want this to special for my girls, especially my oldest, graduate DD. my mom too. Has never been to Disney like us, and is really excited about going and sharing this with my girls ( and me )
We want to do it right, and had figured on spending $5,000 - $8,000 on resort stay and tickets.
We chose GF because of the proximity to MK ( where we will be at the most) and the theme park view -- love that we could sit on balcony and see MK and castle!
That right there is really what we are looking for
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
NJRRK
DIS Veteran
 
NJRRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Garfield, NJ
Posts: 2,423

A Theme Park view at the CR will give you a better view of the MK. If you stay club level at the CR you will probably on the 12th floor with a great view of the MK, GF, Seven Seas Lagoon, and beyond. The rooms are, in my opinion, nicer than the GF rooms too. And from the CR you can walk to the MK!
__________________
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving!"- Mame Dennis

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Marthasor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
Really?
Which did you recommend? We really do want this to special for my girls, especially my oldest, graduate DD. my mom too. Has never been to Disney like us, and is really excited about going and sharing this with my girls ( and me )
We want to do it right, and had figured on spending $5,000 - $8,000 on resort stay and tickets.
We chose GF because of the proximity to MK ( where we will be at the most) and the theme park view -- love that we could sit on balcony and see MK and castle!
That right there is really what we are looking for
For something really special and for the proximity to MK, particularly with the age of the girls, I would still recommend GF. Just the number and level of amenities alone, put this resort in a different category than all of the others - number of pools, restaurants, entertainment in the lobby, shops, etc.

As long as you are prepared for paying A LOT for rooms that haven't been updated in quite a while - go for it. GF is upgrading a lot of its common areas right now (adding zero entry to the courtyard pool, updating Gasparilla's, etc.), so the resort will most likely look spectacular when you go. I would just suggest that, since you will be paying about $8000 without food for main building, theme park view, CL, really take advantage of the pre-trip concierge services. CL should be able to book all of your dining and recreation activities for you. Let them know about your daughter's graduation, etc. Hopefully they will throw some pixie dust your way.

Based on the description of what you are looking for for this particular trip, I do think GF, main building, theme park view is the way to go for your family.

We hop around resorts based on what we are looking for in a particular trip. Our trip to GF CL was my mother's day gift last year. Would I stay at GF again? YES!! Most likely a garden view, outer building, however. Would I ever pay rack rate for GF, main building - theme park view? NEVER! Do try to get a discount of some sort for next November! If you aren't traveling near Thanksgiving week, chances are good you will get some type of discount. Getting a discount on a deluxe, CL room, could literally save you $1000 or more. I booked a Poly, CL, LV this past Oct. with a AAA discount. Once the Disney discounts were released, I applied it and saved over $1000. If you don't feel confident that you can stay on top of all of the public discounts, you may want to turn to a reputable Authorized Disney Vacation Planner to help you with this one.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.
 
Pakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 20,097

I have stayed GF RPC with the MK View. I was also on the 4th floor and we had a full balcony, no dormers.

I never do the dining plan because it's too much food, especially on top of the club level offerings. There is plenty for breakfast and the evening offerings are more than enough for me. So we usually book a lunch or a very late dinner if we want a TS meal when staying club level.

While the theme park view is nice, I am just as happy staying in a lagoon view room for less money. It's rare that we are actually in our room when the fireworks are going.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.