Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

Buy beer in airport before boarding?

My family and I are excited to be going on our 2nd Disney cruise in January. I know we can bring our own alcohol onboard as long as its in our carry on bags. Does anyone know if there is a place to buy beer/wine in the airport before boarding the Magical Express?
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemaxx View Post
My family and I are excited to be going on our 2nd Disney cruise in January. I know we can bring our own alcohol onboard as long as its in our carry on bags. Does anyone know if there is a place to buy beer/wine in the airport before boarding the Magical Express?
It's my understanding there are no liquor stores in MCO except for duty free in the international terminal (accessible to those people flying internationally from MCO). You say "Magical Express", that's the transfer that goes from MCO to WDW, are you going to WDW before the cruise? Or directly to the port (on DCL transfers)?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

We are flying in from Philly the morning of the cruise and then heading directly to the port.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It's my understanding there are no liquor stores in MCO except for duty free in the international terminal (accessible to those people flying internationally from MCO). You say "Magical Express", that's the transfer that goes from MCO to WDW, are you going to WDW before the cruise? Or directly to the port (on DCL transfers)?

This is true for all airports

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are flying in from Philly the morning of the cruise and then heading directly to the port.
I was asking because I thought if you were going to WDW before the port, you could purchase there. As it is, DCL transfers don't stop anywhere. You'll either need to buy before you leave home (and fly with it in your checked bags to transfer to your carryon bag at MCO) or purchase at your first port stop.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

Thanks! That's what I thought. Since we won't see our bags once we check them in Philly until they appear in our room, I was hoping there might be somewhere to buy a bottle of wine at the airport. Oh well! We'll be bringing our beer mugs from our previous cruise on the Magic :-) We didn't know about the tokens until after we got home!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! That's what I thought. Since we won't see our bags once we check them in Philly until they appear in our room, I was hoping there might be somewhere to buy a bottle of wine at the airport. Oh well! We'll be bringing our beer mugs from our previous cruise on the Magic :-) We didn't know about the tokens until after we got home!
Here's what people have done who have liquor in their checked bags to be carried on the ship:

When leaving home put your DCL luggage tags on all your bags EXCEPT the one with the liquor. When you arrive at MCO, claim the bag without the DCL tags and remove the liquor to your carryon bag. Put the DCL tag on the bag now and take it to the checkin desk for the transportation. They will take the (checked) bag and it will catch up with your other luggage and appear at your room later. And your liquor will be in your carryon bag to take aboard the ship.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
Make sure you put them in your carry on! That way you can get a drink ASAP Be have brought ours back every cruise.
What ports are you going to? You can buy something in port and bring it back on the ship with you.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Mickdeb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Here's what people have done who have liquor in their checked bags to be carried on the ship:

When leaving home put your DCL luggage tags on all your bags EXCEPT the one with the liquor. When you arrive at MCO, claim the bag without the DCL tags and remove the liquor to your carryon bag. Put the DCL tag on the bag now and take it to the checkin desk for the transportation. They will take the (checked) bag and it will catch up with your other luggage and appear at your room later. And your liquor will be in your carryon bag to take aboard the ship.

This is what we were going to have to do, reluctantly. I love checking my bags at our home airport (MHT)and not having to deal with baggage claim.
A helpful Diser informed me there is a liqour store after security in our home airport that opens at 6 AM, So now our plans have changed. Might want to check if the same is true for your airport, you never know.

Mickdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
candmfox
Earning My Ears

Options

In the event you are stopping off in Cozumel, there is a very convenient and extremely nice grocery store near the pier. Go towards Margaritaville (to the right), and the store is only about 3-4 blocks down on the other side of the street. Great beer/wine/liquor selection... Other ports have convenient stores as well, but I've only stopped in St. Maarten in the past to stock up on beverages.
Done - 1/10/2014 Magic, 11/8/2014 Fantasy, 11/2013 Disney Fantasy, 8/2013 Disney Dream B2B!,11/2012 Disney Fantasy, 12/2011 Disney Magic NYE, 11/2011 Disney Magic, 12/2010 Disney Magic, 03/2010 Disney Wonder, 11/2009 Disney Magic, 11/2008 Disney Magic, 12/2007 Disney Magic, 5/2007 Disney Wonder, 11/2006 Disney Magic, 12/2005 Disney Magic
candmfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

NH State Liquor store in the airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
This is true for all airports
Incorrect!

The Manchester, NH airport (MHT) now has a State Liquor store in the airport, located past gate security, which is available to all domestic and international travelers. I don’t recall if the store sold beer, but they had a good selection of just about everything else!

NH also has State Liquor stores conveniently located at rest stops off I-93. The parking lots are typically full of cars with Massachusetts and Canadian license plates.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: