Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
kriswin1
Earning My Ears

have not yet decided to book

we are first time cruiser, Disney or otherwise. i have gotten a great deal on both a 6 night and 8 night cruise in Jan. Thinking we will start with 6 night since it is our first time. We will be on Majic and have room assignment of 6612 category 05C..is this good?

also, i am wondering what you do on all those days at sea, will there be enough to do for my kids?

should i buy trip insurance?

since we are booking so late, will excersions be hard to get ?

help
kriswin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriswin1 View Post
we are first time cruiser, Disney or otherwise. i have gotten a great deal on both a 6 night and 8 night cruise in Jan. Thinking we will start with 6 night since it is our first time. We will be on Majic and have room assignment of 6612 category 05C..is this good?

also, i am wondering what you do on all those days at sea, will there be enough to do for my kids?

help
Just my personal view, but IMO any room on a cruise is good.

There's plenty to do onboard, for both kids and adults. We've taken 6 cruises (for a total of 67 nights) and still haven't done everything available. Now, I'll grant you we like to just sit on deck and read sometimes, but there's plenty to do.

We always buy insurance. Are there any non-refundable expenses connected with this trip? That's what you want to cover if you had to cancel.

I would think you would be able to book excursions, possibly not you first choice, but you get some.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriswin1

help
Cat 5s are far more than good.
But then, I'd sleep on deck and shower in the spa if they'd let me! A bad day on deck is better than any day onshore, IMHO.

There will be a ton for your kids to do, but since you don't list their ages, the best I can do is point you to the Navigators (daily newsletters that let you know what is up on the Magic)
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...-navigator.htm
And suggest you check out the various things that've been offered on the 7 night Magic sailings just to get the idea of what is offered.

Should you buy trip insurance-yes! Unless you're quite independently wealthy so that in the off chance you or a family member needed to pay for medical helicopter evacuation, you wouldn't be financially ruined. I forget how much that averages, but it's well above $100,000 if memory serves.

Excursions-I'd find out by asking the other people on your prospective cruises about excursions you're interested in, as that can and does vary widely cruise to cruise. Try here-
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2868818

I think that about covers it!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

We had a cat 5C on our last 7 night on the Magic, it was great, a slight upgrade on our first cruise which had the white walled veranda.

We have chosen a 5C for our next cruise too.

There is plenty to do on board, we hardly used the kids clubs at all, but never found time to be bored even for with a 5 year old. Plenty of pool time, table tennis, basketball, 3D movies, family organised activities (see navigators), shows, characters, the list goes on!

We didn't book excursions before boarding on our first cruise, but got the couple we wanted once on board. Otherwise we just went ashore and explored on foot.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Actually, if you are cruising in the Caribbean and needed a medical evacuation it would most likely be handled by the US Coast Guard with a cost of $0. Yes, private helicopters cost a small fortune, as do fixed wing medical planes (which are more likely to be used if you need to be moved from an island to the US.

We buy travel insurance because our medical insurance will not cover anything outside of the US. I realize that it isn't a good "bet," but if I'm the one who needs it, it has suddenly become a bargain. May companies offer a free child's policy with the purchase of a parent policy, making a private purchase a really good thing!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

Forgot to say we always have travel insurance, but we are from the UK, so it covers everything door to door. We have an annual policy that covers all trips in a year subject to some restrictions on length of trip, anywhere in the world. We just make sure that the cruise is actually noted by them as it is not automatically covered, but it costs nothing to do this. Cost of the policy actually went down when DS was born and we added him!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Tangoqueen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher

Cat 5s are far more than good.
But then, I'd sleep on deck and shower in the spa if they'd let me! A bad day on deck is better than any day onshore, IMHO.

There will be a ton for your kids to do, but since you don't list their ages, the best I can do is point you to the Navigators (daily newsletters that let you know what is up on the Magic)
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...-navigator.htm
And suggest you check out the various things that've been offered on the 7 night Magic sailings just to get the idea of what is offered.

Should you buy trip insurance-yes! Unless you're quite independently wealthy so that in the off chance you or a family member needed to pay for medical helicopter evacuation, you wouldn't be financially ruined. I forget how much that averages, but it's well above $100,000 if memory serves.

Excursions-I'd find out by asking the other people on your prospective cruises about excursions you're interested in, as that can and does vary widely cruise to cruise. Try here-
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2868818

I think that about covers it!
Coincidentally we had a helicopter emergency evacuation from the Magic last night at 11.30pm........I would make sure you had very good travel insurance for sure!
Tangoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
kriswin1
Earning My Ears

the insurance would cover us if we had to cancel the trip for family emergency. that is what the travel agent for disney said. will the same also cover medical?
kriswin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I would suggest that you read the policy of whatever company you are considering purchasing, rather than relying on what someone says.

Different companies define "family" and "emergency" differently. For example, some people would feel obligated to cancel a cruise if an uncle or cousin was seriously injured only to find out that the insurance would cover only for a parent, grandparent, or sibling. Most policies have some medical coverage--the issue is how much. For instance, we found that the difference between TravelGuard basic and TravelGuard Protect Assist was only $3 in premium, the Protect Assist policy offered a LOT more coverage.

Purchases thru DCL do not include any coverage for pre-existing conditions (in people traveling or family), but do include a provision that anything the insurance company doesn't reimburse will be applied toward a future DCL cruise.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excersions, first time, room assignments, to do kids

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: