Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #31
megan10310
Mouseketeer

Big difference in saying a roller coaster has "some good turns" when it goes upside down (nbd IMO) and categorizing tot as a "little show"!

I have encouraged my ds to ride, told him sometimes its fun to be scared, told him a ride is more fun than scary, told him it is only 3 min and I will be right beside you.

But tot is not a "little show". He rode it for the first time at 3 yo. He begged to ride it. We made him try a bunch of other "scary" rides first to make sure he wasn't going to freak out. We told him it has big drops. We told him it is pretend scary. He still wanted to ride and he loved it.

First Family Disney Trip!!! March 2010

Can't Wait! Next Trip - February 2013!
megan10310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #32
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan10310 View Post
Big difference in saying a roller coaster has "some good turns" when it goes upside down (nbd IMO) and categorizing tot as a "little show"!
I'm the poster who told my DD about Corkscrew having "some good turns". I would like to clarify that had we not stood under the ride and watched it go upside down, I would have definitely verbally shared that information with DD before getting in line. But since we had seen the ride go upside down, I didn't feel guilty evading the question when DD asked just before boarding.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #33
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

I did this once but not entirely on purpose. We were at Six Flags NJ and DD7.5 kept coming up with excuses why she didn't want to ride some of the roller coasters like Runaway Train and Skull Mountain similar to BTMR and Space Mountain. So we would split up and and DH and I would take turns taking DD9 on. She would ride other rides and a small coaster.

DH and I went alone one day and finally did all of the coasters!! Next day we went with kids and thought they, or at least DD9, could handle Rolling Thunder an old wooden coaster a step up from the other two. After DD7.5 saw all the roller coasters we went on she was feeling brave. You also can't see the drop from the line so I'm sure that helped.

When we were in line she asked if it was a big drop. Now just the day before I had been on about 10 roller coasters and this was the 3rd smallest so in my mind I'm thinking no. But I do know it is scarier than the other two she doesn't want to go on again.

But I also knew she was like me and needed to be pushed. She says we are not afraid of heights we are afraid of falling!

So the roller coaster has two trains that race side by side. First drop and she is freaking out screaming, 2nd drop crying, when we pull in she goes oh man they beat us!

Since then those other two roller coasters that were scary are now pieces of cake that we ride over and over and she has even gone on El Toro which has the steepest drop of any wooden roller coaster in the country at 76 degrees!

She is now disappointed that she is too short 48.5" to go on any upside down roller coasters min 54".

We just told the kids last night that we are going to Disney in May and she will be able to ride her first upside down coaster RnRC!!!!!
Bnb0627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
midaroco
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalstongue

So you have never lied to your children?? Santa claus, the tooth fairy, how delicious vegetables are???
I don't have children - I DO have a great deal of nieces and nephews whom I adore. Unfortunately, this fact will probably make many people say "we'll, your opinion doesn't count then...talk to me when you have children of your own..." I do not lie to the children around me, I will however, participate in the societal norms that their parents have set forth for them in terms of the traditional icons such as the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, etc. because I do not want to disrespect the parents. I will not, however lie to them when they are in my care to get them to eat their vegetables, or go to bed, or clean their room. I just feel it promotes an incorrect message, that they will recall later in life - that it is ok to lie to serve your purpose.
midaroco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #35
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Kids need to learn to appropriately lie. To say thank you for the book the great aunt bought them 2 years straight, or that the meal presented was good even of ot sucked. So id say your opinion will coy t more when and if you have your own and are responsible for all of life'slessons. Not sure what kind of room cleaning lies are flying about. I didn't lid to mind about scary or . That is a trust rather than a character issue.
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #36
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

I accidentally lied to my 80 year old aunt about Space Mountain.

I hadn't ridden it in almost 20 years because I'd always been with little kids. I just didn't remember it as being very much of a roller coaster.

But once we were on it and it started going I thought "OMG It's going to kill her."
Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #37
midaroco
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square
Kids need to learn to appropriately lie. To say thank you for the book the great aunt bought them 2 years straight, or that the meal presented was good even of ot sucked. So id say your opinion will coy t more when and if you have your own and are responsible for all of life'slessons. Not sure what kind of room cleaning lies are flying about. I didn't lid to mind about scary or . That is a trust rather than a character issue.
So wait - my opinion doesn't count just because I don't have my own children? That is both horribly offensive and awfully ignorant of you to say. You know nothing of my situation other than what I've indicated, so to make a bold statement such as that is, as I've stated, ignorant.
midaroco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Those are not lies, they are social graces and they can be taught to children without teaching them to lie. They can, and should be be taught to say think-you for EVERY gift and not just the ones they like the best. They can be taught even at an early age not to tell a gift giver they already have the gift or certainly not that they do not like it. They can learn, to be gracious for a meal prepared for them without saying that they love it. A simple thank-you grandma for fixing me lunch is certainly doable by most typical 3 year olds.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So you have never lied to your children?? Santa claus, the tooth fairy, how delicious vegetables are???
Nope. Veggies are yummy! And my kids know that we put the gifts there or the money under their pillow.

I agree with the PP about social graces. You don't have to say a meal was delicious if it wasn't. It's actually not a good idea or the person may make that meal especially for you the next time! It's is always good to thank someone and tell them that you appreciate all the time and effort they put into making the meal. Plus, there's usually something you can compliment at a meal. "This bread is so amazing I'm having a hard time wanting to eat much else!" Or with a friend who asks you about her new haircut that she's loving, you can comment on the wonderful color if you don't like the cut.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #40
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
Not about the rides, but have convinced DS that the rate information on the back of the doors are Mickey's hotel rules. It's been working since he was two but now he reads well enough that it will no longer work. There are rules about kids under 5 having to take a nap every day, that you have to eat breakfast before you can ride the bus to the parks, you have to get dressed as fast as you can so you will not be late etc. Not big on lying to kids ever, but this little trick has saved soooo many melt-downs that I don't feel toooo bad.
This is genius, and I'm totally stealing it!

I have certainly lied to my DS at Disney. I told him that the train was broken, because if I hadn't, we wouldn't have done anything but ride the train all day.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #41
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I have told my son their is a limit on how many times you can ride each ride.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #42
MyKidsMom1820
Mouseketeer

sometimes my kids need an extra push to try something new. for instance at great wolf lodge we bribed them to try the bigger slides, and they loved them afterward and did them over and over. They were so proud of themselves! The deal was if you try it once you get a buck or something I cant remember exactly what....anyways if they didn't like it after one try, no problem. The same thing at Disney. We want to do as much as possible all together. That's the best part of a family vacation for us. I don't think that's wrong, also I can understand white lying it up to serve the same purpose....

Mostly we don't tell them details, just that its an awesome ride or something like that. My dd(at the time was 5) loved everything but Expedition Everest. And the ds (4 at the time) did and loved everything he could ride on. Obviously the baby didn't do the thrill rides!!!! Next time!!!

I'm kinda glad we push our kids to try new stuff, I don't want them to be afraid to try new things like I was for most of my younger years.

April 2011- First Family Trip- AllStarMovies

MyKidsMom1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #43
MyKidsMom1820
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaroco View Post
So wait - my opinion doesn't count just because I don't have my own children? That is both horribly offensive and awfully ignorant of you to say. You know nothing of my situation other than what I've indicated, so to make a bold statement such as that is, as I've stated, ignorant.
its not that your opinion doesn't count, its just that your perspective changes so much being a parent verses an aunt or uncle....

April 2011- First Family Trip- AllStarMovies

MyKidsMom1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
john1928
Mouseketeer

You don't need to lie if you've already established a relationship where they both trust you, and recognize you as an authority figure.

There have been plenty of things my kids didn't want to eat when they first saw them. "I'm glad to hear that son, but you're going to try this. If you don't like it I won't make you eat any more". Is perfectly acceptable approach to new foods. Likewise if they’re hesitant about a ride, “This is a big ride and might be kind of scary but it’s safe for big boys like you and most people think it’s a lot of fun. If you don’t like it I won’t make you ride it again” works similarly well.

That said, if you’re dealing with a child who is having a break-down at the queue entrance, I would not push the issue at that time (I’m specifically not trying to traumatize the kids, but to build trust, self-confidence, and reasoned risk-taking). Teaching children to try new experiences and in particular to rationally master their fears will serve them well for the rest of their life.
john1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #45
GoldieLocks5
Mouseketeer

We never lie to our kids about thigns that might hurt, be scary, etc. We let them know and then decide if they want to do it (or in the case of getting, say, a flu shot- i let them know that it will only hurt for a few seconds and then be over).

My kids trust me b/c they know I'll never steer them wrong... if a ride might scare them- i'd never force them on. Now, my 2.5yo was scared to go on EVERY ride at WDW - and we did force him on dumbo and small world b/c we knew he'd love it once he was on- but we didn't lie - we told him it would be fun

[/url]
Mom to 1+Twins, all boys
Planning our 3rd Disney trip! 1st was March-April 2012, Suite @ ASMu. 2nd was May 5-11 at Beach Club, and 3rd will be early May, Beach Club again!
GoldieLocks5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: