Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I'm considering booking a 3/4 night Dream back to back cruise. If you have the same stateroom do you go down through the terminal to check in? Do you leave your stiff in your room? Do you get new servers? Is this kind of trip worth it? Thanks!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Gino USMC
Semper Fi

My Moms friend has done a few back to back cruises. She said you leave all your stuff in your room, and that you only need to leave the ship for a few hours until they let guests on. You should use the same room key, no need to re-check in.
Gino USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino USMC View Post
My Moms friend has done a few back to back cruises. She said you leave all your stuff in your room, and that you only need to leave the ship for a few hours until they let guests on. You should use the same room key, no need to re-check in.
This is incorrect. We have done B2Bs at 3 different ports. The exact procedure depends on the port, but in EVERY case, we had to do a "check in" and get a new KTTW card.

In Port Canaveral, we actually had to get off the ship for about an hour--go thru US Customs, right back into the terminal, and as soon as the CMs were ready, we got our new KTTW cards and reboarded. This was all before the terminal opened to new guests. We were instructed to get off at 9:15, and were back on before 10:30.

In some other locations, we didn't even have to get off the ship--we just went to GS and got our new KTTW cards!

The pools were opened for us as soon as they were cleaned. Munchies were available, as was the beverage station. In Barcelona, where there were lots of families, there were "family snacks" in the Promenade Lounge and "adult snacks" in the Cove Cafe. On cruises with fewer guests doing B2Bs, all the munchies will be in the Cove and kids will be allowed in there UNTIL the ship opens for boarding.

If you are staying in the same cabin, you can leave all your stuff in the room. If you are changing rooms, pack up your suitcase and leave it in the room--the stateroom host will move it to the new room for you.

Your KTTW card has your cruise dates on it (printed so everyone can see) and also controls your charging. Because of the dates (which are verified in the ports) it MUST be correct for each cruise! The old card will be inactivated when they close out the first cruise--it will no longer open the door OR be any good for charging or getting on and off the ship.

Last edited by kcashner; 11-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
chateau
DIS Veteran

BTB cruisers are (other than staff) first back on too.
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Great info! Thanks!

Do you pay 2 sets of tips? Do you get the same severs and table?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
chateau
DIS Veteran

Yes and yes (servers, maybe not table)
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Yes, you pay a set of tips for each cruise. Of course, the total is the same if you do a 3+4 night as it would be for a 7 night. We were contacted by dining services asking if we had any requests--did we want the same servers or different? Did we need any Palo or other reservations? This was the last full day of the first cruise.

In one case, we asked to keep the same head server but switched team; in the other cases, we kept our team (by our choice).
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
owensamo
DIS Veteran

You do pay 2 sets of tips - they're 2 separate cruises, so function like that. So if you do plan to stay with the same servers, plan to tip well on the first cruise!

You can have the same servers - in our experience, our Head Server (Tektas) asked us before the end of the first cruise if we had any dining preferences for the second cruise - server-wise or seating-wise, etc. We could have requested a different rotation, different servers, even dining companions! Tektas indicated he was making the seating charts, so maybe we got lucky!

We ended up with the same server (our asst got moved up to server so we had a new one) on our second cruise, which made it that much more special. It was also the only time we've sat by ourselves (family of 3), which was kind of nice as we were usually in and out of dinner within an hour.

Looking forward to our next B2B next summer on the Fantasy! I'm hoping we get great servers so we can stay with them for 2 weeks.
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

We had a B2B on the Dream in May. If you keep the same cabin, just leave your stuff there. You should receive a letter advising you what procedures to follow in the morning of your first disembarkation. Keep your letter, travel documents and your KTTW with you, also something to do--it is a 'hurry up and wait' situation for part of the transition day.

Basically, you follow the same procedure for breakfast as the passengers who are disembarking that morning. You still have to be out of your cabin early in the morning.

After breakfast, you go to the designated lounge area to wait with other B2B passengers. Then you are ushered off the ship into the terminal bldg. You can check in at one of the wickets in the terminal bldg. as soon as they are ready for you--there may be a wait while DCL refreshes its passenger list for the next cruise. Then you wait inside the terminal until you are allowed to board. We were the only people doing B2B on our cruise, and were able to wait in the concierge lounge in the terminal. You can get onboard when they are ready for you. We then had to wait for a while in the Cove Cafe (our cabin was not available--I believe had there been more B2B passengers, the cabins would have been available). I forget what waiting area was suggested for B2B passengers with children under 18. When you reboard, not everything will be open--the shops are all closed, and many of the bars. We didn't check the pools or the Acquaduck.

We requested the same waitstaff in the MDRs on our second cruise. If you want to have the same people serving you, make your wishes known to the head server and the dining room manager. They will do their best to comply.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The Aquaduck is not open till boarding starts--makes no sense to have CMs working for one family (which was the case on one of our B2Bs). As above, the only bar open is the Cove Cafe. The shops are never open when the ship is in port.

But remember--you are only talking about an hour or so from the time you re-board till they start boarding new guests. At that time, the other places open--lunch, Aquaduck, bars, etd.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Llges
Earning My Ears

Just curious, what is the perk of a b2b as opposed to just a longer cruise? Wouldn't it just be a repeat of where you had been, etc? We are planning our first cruise, and I've seen b2b mentioned quite a lot so I was just wondering. Thanks!
Llges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llges
Just curious, what is the perk of a b2b as opposed to just a longer cruise? Wouldn't it just be a repeat of where you had been, etc? We are planning our first cruise, and I've seen b2b mentioned quite a lot so I was just wondering. Thanks!
I wanted a Bahamas cruise and wanted Castaway Cay twice.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

I wanted a Bahamas cruise and wanted Castaway Cay twice.
We have a b2b booked because our favorite ship is now doing only shorter cruises- 4 and 5 day cruises are just not enough but add them together and I think we'll be happy. Plus, They sail very different itineraries both times. Bahamas and Carribean.
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #14
mystycalchyk
Mouseketeer

We are doing B2B in January. Two 7 day Caribbean B2Bs. Why? Because when I stepped off the Magic on my last cruise (2008 on a 7 night Caribbean), I literally cried. I just wanted more time on the boat.
I didnt care where it went....i just needed more time. So, I started planning our next cruise (knowing it was going to be 5 years down the line) with that as the only requisite.

More

Time

On

The

Boat!!!!!

. 63 days and counting
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* : )
mystycalchyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
owensamo
DIS Veteran

We did 5-night B2B cruises in 2010 and while the itineraries were essentially the same (one went to Key West, the other was a Castaway Cay double-dip), we actually enjoyed the fact that it was kind of the same thing twice.

On the first cruise we saw every show, did a lot of stuff and had a blast! On the second cruise, we did pretty much nothing - and had a blast! We liked the fact that, having seen the shows on the first cruise, we didn't feel the pressure to have to see them on the second (and I don't think we made it to any of them). we liked getting the same menu in the dining rooms twice, because it gave us an opportunity to try new and different things - or skip menus we knew we didn't like. We enjoyed the extra bit of attention from the crew, because they already knew us the second time around. And more time on the ship is always a Good Thing.

Our next cruises are 7-night Eastern/Western B2Bs in July, and I'm hoping for a similar experience. We've done multiple Eastern cruises so our first cruise will be more for the ship - then on the Western we can enjoy new (to us) ports and experiences. Having cruised a 14-n TA, DH thinks anything less is not long enough!
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: