Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
DisneyMomma2858
Earning My Ears

Nervous newbie with small kids just booked the dream

We are huge Disney people. We go to Disney all the time. We are leaving in 4 weeks for our next trip. At the time of our cruise dd will be 5 younger dd will be 15 months. We are booked for a 3 night Bahamas cruise. We are going with my mom and dad. I am super nervous but my mom was on the cruise to nowhere during hurricane sandy and got the offer they gave her on the boat. She had never been on a cruise and it was their 25 year anniversary trip. So they want to give it one more try. I am hesitant but my mom claims the whole time she was there all she could think was how much my 5 yr old would love it. I'd love to hear from those with small children who have done it and their thoughts on takin small kids. Did they get sick is one of my big questions. Any suggestion would be appreciated. We booked on the deck 6 with a veranda.
DisneyMomma2858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

My kids don't get carsick either, and their pediatrician pretty much said that it is extremely rare for younger kids to get seasick.
They will love it!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Our first Disney cruise was with our 15 month old and 4 1/2 year old. We had a blast and have been on 4 more cruises after that. Our 6th one is scheduled this month with our now 15 year old and 11 year old. The question will be: will you be able to stay away once you go on one. A Disney cruise is truely a relaxing vacation for Mom. We go to WDW or DL all the time but with those vacation you still have to plan the meals and stuff. So, one of the things I love about a Disney cruise is that you don't have to worry about the next meal. You don't have to make bed in the morning. There is so much on board to keep your kids entertained. It is great. Hopefully, you booked a couple times in the nursery for your youngest. We booked dinner time just so we could eat in peace. Anyways, enjoy your cruise!
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

We have cruised with and without kids and it is great either way. I think the first cruise with our daughter was at 5 months and she did fine. She is 3 now and she has been on 8 cruises with us, all of them fine. We are even scheduled for a cruise in a month with our new 12 week old. DD asks us all the time when are we going back to Mickey's boat. No problems with sea sickness and as other posters have noted above there are so many activities. One suggestion is to use a service or have stuff shipped to the ship regarding baby supplies, this saves on you packing stuff and on paying extra airline baggage fees. Obviously assess your situation (3 day cruise) and the amount of stuff you estimate you are bringing, diapers, formula, etc. Also you can use some of the supplies they have available on the ship for you such as diaper genie and bottle warmers if needed, just ask them to put those requests on your reservation. Also you are doing a 3 day cruise, don't pack too much, its too short and it is a pain packing and unpacking a lot of stuff for just three days.

I don't know where you are from or if you are doing a trip pre or post cruise. But we generally fly in to MCO the night before. If possible get to orlando or Port Canaveral at least 1 night before, you will find so many opinions on the board about this but if your schedule allows for this then its a good recommendation. Coming in the day of the cruise is hectic and can be stressful, but not impossible.

Also when we are staying somewhere before the cruise we almost always stay at the airport hyatt, unless we are doing a pre disney trip. We like the convenience and this allows us to come in even late the night before a cruise and have an easy close place stay.

Have you thought about transportation to the port? The two options we like are DCL transfers and private car service. The latter works better when you have little ones because then instead of wrestling small children on the bus to PC you can get a car seat. When our daughter was an infant we opted towards private car because of this. We like DCL transportation but when you get the 4-5 people then the 70pp round trip cost leans closer to the private car deal. Obviously you can rent a car or have you own car , etc. We just try to make vacation as little stress as possible.

On the ship I am sure that you will be trying to get character pictures. Show up early. If it says 10:45, if you show up 10-15mins early you will likely be in the first 10 people. Its really just less hassle for you and more enjoyable - most meltdowns for us tend to be in lines. One caveat is the large character gatherings. For example the princess gathering in the atrium, be there even earlier, because these get really busy. You want to be in the first group to see all the princesses so that you can get on with your day.

The food is one of the main reasons we cruise. We like the adult dining options and yes we like the MDR. On a 3 day cruise if this is your first, forget the adult dining options. Enjoy all the main dining rooms first, then maybe try the adult stuff later. Also if you have some food requirements put those on your reservation so DCL knows to address them if possible.

We like using the nursery. It is a vacation for everyone and we trust Disney with our kids. Obviously we chose this cruiseline for a reason, this is a major one of those reasons. We just now have one old enough for the kids clubs but we have taken DD there in the open houses and she is always asking us about Andy's room even at home. In general we hear nothing but good things about the clubs. Sounds like you will have your parents with you, we have taken ours as well, they helped us watch the kids too and they enjoyed spending some time with them.

3 day cruises are so jam packed because you will want to try everything. Just try to relax. If you like the cruise book another one onboard, this will allow you to get a 10% discount on non-concierge rooms, and also a lower down payment. Also if you are DVC for example sometimes they have DVC promotions that are good. I believe one of our cruises was from one of these promotions.

Good Luck.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
DisneyMomma2858
Earning My Ears

We are driving not flying. We will not be visiting the parks it will be the cruise only.

Thanks for all the replies. My main concern was the sea sickness as my daughter gets carsick.

Do they have character breakfast/dinners on the boat?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately on three night cruises no character dining. But there will be plenty of characters around the ship.

Seasickness is hard to judge. There is not necessarily a direct correlation from car sickness to sea sickness, also it will depend on how the seas are for you. Talk to your pediatrician to see if they can offer any advice.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomma2858
We are driving not flying. We will not be visiting the parks it will be the cruise only.

Thanks for all the replies. My main concern was the sea sickness as my daughter gets carsick.

Character meals require at least three sea days and only take place on the classic ships, however you do run into the characters a lot more often than at the parks. So it's not a big deal...
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomma2858

Oh and another thought. We bring candied ginger "just in case". The kids know its special candy that I like (but they detest) that will help if they get queasy. or I can have it for a snack the last night.

Which tends to be the case.
Also going out on deck and looking at the horizon helps if they start to get off (or so I've seen others say, again, my kids have never had issue.)
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

I would ask your pediatrician about dosage of dramamine for DD. I'm very prone to motion sickness and was thankful we had calm water while on the ship because I felt every move when DH and DDs didn't. As long as I was able to look across a room and minimize required focusing (like reading), it was all manageable. However, didn't get to read any of the books that I had downloaded.

Sea Bands also help when I travel and may be a good option for her age. Now that my 5 y/o DD is starting to read, she's starting to show signs of motion sickness while reading in the car. I'll be looking for options for her just in case.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Arkum
Mouseketeer

They make Dramamine just for kids now so no worry about trying to figure out doses. I packed it on our last cruise as I was worried about my daughter who has gotten motion sickness before but never had to use it. They are chewable tablets.
Arkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
mouseymommy
I love the smell of Pirates

My Mom uses the kids chewables when she flies. It makes her less sleepy.
mouseymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
mindy20
Mouseketeer

Namsupak:

Thank you so much for the great advice, we will be using many of your suggestions when we cruise again. On our last Cruise (our first) we couldn't get the hang of the character greetings. We caught only Tinker Bell, and Daisy on a 4 night Maybe on our next cruise, we will meet a few more characters !
Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
DisneyMomma2858
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know what the waters are like in November? I would like to sail when the waters are calm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: