Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
ladyj0212
"Dream"ing of Disney Cruise

Fantasy port upgrades from 11B?

Hello. We are currently booked for the Fantasy June 2014, any DISers out there do a port upgrade from a CAT 11B to a verandah on the Fantasy? If so, what was the price? Currently the difference online is about 1,400 or so.

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
"Dream" * March 4th, 2010"Wonder" * February 11th, 2006 "Magic" * February 17th, 2005 "Wonder"
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
ladyj0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I would expect the difference to increase quite a bit for a June cruise by the time your cruise date arrives.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyj0212 View Post
Hello. We are currently booked for the Fantasy June 2014, any DISers out there do a port upgrade from a CAT 11B to a verandah on the Fantasy? If so, what was the price? Currently the difference online is about 1,400 or so.
We inquired last May about upgrading from our 10A to a verandah & the cheapest was about $900. We declined as I didn't feel was worth over $100 a day to us.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
ladyj0212
"Dream"ing of Disney Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I would expect the difference to increase quite a bit for a June cruise by the time your cruise date arrives.
I completely agree with you. I'm just curious as to what people have paid at port as opposed to what they offer online from that particular category to verandah on the fantasy.

I would like to have a rough estimate so that we can be prepared when the time comes if this is something we want to do.

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
"Dream" * March 4th, 2010"Wonder" * February 11th, 2006 "Magic" * February 17th, 2005 "Wonder"
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
ladyj0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
HollandmillerFamily
Mouseketeer

In our experience, the upgrade cost at port is not much less when you're going from, say, an inside or window to a verandah, than what it would be to upgrade beforehand. As I noted in another post on port upgrades: Before I went to port, I had been tracking the difference in price between what I paid and the cost of doing an upgrade to the different cabins in advance. The difference between what I paid for a 9B and a 4E upgrade was $910. (Note this doesn't apply to GTY rates. In the case of GTY categories, you can't upgrade those rooms until you get to port anyway.) Okay, so the difference beforehand was $910. At the port, to go from 9B to 4x (not sure which cat of "4" it was) was $945. At the time I was kind of focused on trying to get to concierge and didn't realize how bogus that was until later so I didn't ask about it.
Here's what I think: It sounds like upgrading from an inside or ocean view to verandah, for example, is not really that great of a deal. From what I've read--and from what I experienced at port--the real deals are as you get higher in category, particularly in concierge. The difference to upgrade beforehand from 9B to V was $3101 and from 9B to T was $5971. At port, those upgrades were $1470 (47% of the pre-cruise upgrade cost) and $2170 (only 36% of the pre-cruise upgrade cost), respectively. As you can see, you save more percentage-wise by going higher--but you're still ultimately spending more money. The Royals weren't available but from what I've read, that's actually an even better deal in terms of the percent-off you're getting, but it still ultimately brings in more money to Disney...
Note that if there isn't anything available to upgrade to by the time you get to port (i.e., the category you want is sold out), then this is all moot.
Good luck and come back and post when it's over to tell us the prices they offered at port and how those compared to what you could have gotten before traveling.

Last edited by HollandmillerFamily; 01-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.
HollandmillerFamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: