Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
I was curious about the Space Coast Marathon, Frank. I am signed up for the Half right now, but keep thinking about switching to the Full...is there any major difference that makes it better to run the Full? I know with the Air Force Marathon that it is so much better to run the Marathon over the Half because of the course, and didn't know if there is something the Half Marathoners miss out on. The medals are exactly the same.
I am really not sure. I know there are some WISHers that did it in the past so maybe they can chime in with whether or not the back half of the full is a good course and worth the extra 13.1. I do know it is very flat and the medal is really cool so added with the proximity to Disney it sounds like a good fit for a first full.

When I do it I will probably do the half. When I say a race is on my list I mean either the half or the full, I probably should have clarified that.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I am really not sure. I know there are some WISHers that did it in the past so maybe they can chime in with whether or not the back half of the full is a good course and worth the extra 13.1. I do know it is very flat and the medal is really cool so added with the proximity to Disney it sounds like a good fit for a first full.

When I do it I will probably do the half. When I say a race is on my list I mean either the half or the full, I probably should have clarified that.
Thanks for clearing that up. The medal is very nice. But, I think it is probably best to stick to the Half. If I really like it, I can do the Marathon next year.
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
BikeFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Some I'd recommend that are well-run, interesting, and fun:
Richmond - beautiful course, not too big, very friendly.
Having just run Richmond as my first full, I strongly recommend it. It wasn't too big (~6K in the full, I think, and that included a lot of NYC racers looking for a race), and the crowd/race support was great. The course is rolling but never hilly, and everyone was very friendly. Plus, it's close to you. I especially like the fact that it wasn't one of those mega-marathons like Marine Corps or the like - I didn't feel crowded in on the course after about mile 5 or so, which I hate in the bigger races. It was just a great experience.
BikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
ludari
DIS Veteran

My friend ran the Anthem Richmond Marathon last weekend and she said it was flat scenic course. Starting on November 16 they are offering a special marathon fee of $65 for a limited time. I would do this race if I lived in the area and didn't already commit to the Marine Corps Marathon two week prior to this race.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

I can definitely add the Space Coast to this list now. Such a cool experience and a well run race, plus the medal is pretty awesome.

The expo wasn't much, but the after race party was amazing. You could get pancakes, eggs, bacon, or pizza and there were a lot of vendors out as well to sample products. They had Publix as a sponsor, and I truly believe that every race that has them as a sponsor is great because they provide the standard after race food plus a bit more. The date is difficult for some I am sure, but it was a great after Thanksgiving race.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was debating running the princess, but after a chat with dh last night, I have scrapped that idea. I am now planning on running the ToT (and maybe a quick trip for Everest.) I live just outside DC, so there are plenty of interesting looking halfs to run locally anyway. But I need to start planning on my full. I am looking for something in the continental US, not Disney though. Flat-ish terrain, interesting things to see and do along the route with a slow sweep time (Disney's 16 is perfect). I am not interested in NYC, Boston or Marine Corps. They are too "competitive" (you have to qualify for them!! ). I am looking for a more laid back race, if that makes sense. Any suggestions what to look into?
I might be a homer, but I think a great newbie marathon is the New Orleans Rock N Roll Mardi Gras Marathon.

The course is pancake flat, the race is in February so heat is never a concern, and the course is beautiful. The race starts in New Orleans's central business district then runs through Uptown New Orleans along the St. Charles Street Car line before looping through Audubon Park near the campus of Tulane University. After returning back down St Charles Avenue following the street car line, you will run through the French Quarter, then follow Esplanace Avenue to New Orleans Cit Park. A few miles in the park then you head to the New Orleans Lakefront for a few water side miles before heading back to city park and finishing in the oak tree shade where a great after party awaits.

The bad thing, it is rock n roll so the price tag is heavy ($115), but accomodations are plentiful and have options in many price ranges right in the French Quarter.

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/new-orleans
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Quiksilvr
DIS Veteran

I've heard good things about Richmond. One of my work colleagues was an age-group winner there this year, and had nothing but good things to say about the course.

One you might consider is Atlantic City. It's not too big, and the course is about as flat as you could ask for. The downside to this race is that the second half of the course isn't particularly interesting. The first half is on the boardwalk, lots to look at, etc. The second half is partially on the boardwalk and partially in a residential area. Not so scenic.

You might also consider the RnR DC race in March. I've done the half there, but from what I've heard it's kind of a similar thing as AC, i.e., the first half is cool, the second half not so cool.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilvr View Post
I've heard good things about Richmond. One of my work colleagues was an age-group winner there this year, and had nothing but good things to say about the course.

One you might consider is Atlantic City. It's not too big, and the course is about as flat as you could ask for. The downside to this race is that the second half of the course isn't particularly interesting. The first half is on the boardwalk, lots to look at, etc. The second half is partially on the boardwalk and partially in a residential area. Not so scenic.

You might also consider the RnR DC race in March. I've done the half there, but from what I've heard it's kind of a similar thing as AC, i.e., the first half is cool, the second half not so cool.
Unless they changed the course after Competitor took over the second half goes through some shady areas. One of my friends who lives in DC looked at the map and said the gun shots should be motivational around Poplar Point and Anacostia.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Not a marathon, but just wanted to recommend the Broad Street Run if you are looking for a good 10 miler. I think the pace requirement is 14 minutes, but it's as flat as I've seen and the course is wide with lots of support!
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: