Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Canadians...anything we should know about?

I just found out last night that as a Canadian, we can't check in at the airport, even though we are taking the transfers.

Anything else we should know about before our online checkin?

We are staying in the hotel in the airport.

Anything we should know about disembarkment?

we don't want to be blind-sided on vacation.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

Just a different line for customs- it actually often moves faster than the US passenger line. I can't think of anything else that was different. Oh... Except for the fact that it was -40 back home while we were cruising.... THAT was certainly a huge difference
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Majordis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomy-san View Post
Just a different line for customs- it actually often moves faster than the US passenger line. I can't think of anything else that was different. Oh... Except for the fact that it was -40 back home while we were cruising.... THAT was certainly a huge difference
The best piece of advice I received on the boards was to look for the Non US sign when checking in at the Port. There was no one in this line and we received boarding number 3.
Majordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
BlakeandMaddysMomma
Mouseketeer

Good to know! We are Canadians staying at the same airport hotel and taking the transfer as well
BlakeandMaddysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Ikaikalani
Tee-Eye-double Guh-err

Here's something you should know....I think Canada is an absolutely beautiful country!!!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaikalani View Post
Here's something you should know....I think Canada is an absolutely beautiful country!!!!!
Yes it is! Thanks for noticing!!

Sailing on the Magic again! Jan 25, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
kpaulson
Mouseketeer

I read somewhere today that Canadians are being offered 25% Canadian resident rate...don't remember where I saw it tho But it was restricted...I think out of Miami and for Bahama cruises? Could be wrong tho...
kpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Sunseeker17
Mouseketeer

Ok, so this is news to me that we can't check in at the airport...I had confirmed that we could with our DCL TA a week or so ago... Maybe I didn't make it clear to her what I was asking...

So, we do all the check-in at the Port, and there is a non-US check in line there?? And keep our fingers crossed that our boarding number isn't super high?
Thanks for any clarity that can be provided!!

Sunseeker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker17 View Post
Ok, so this is news to me that we can't check in at the airport...I had confirmed that we could with our DCL TA a week or so ago... Maybe I didn't make it clear to her what I was asking...

So, we do all the check-in at the Port, and there is a non-US check in line there?? And keep our fingers crossed that our boarding number isn't super high?
Thanks for any clarity that can be provided!!
Yes, check in at the port. There will be a Non-U.S. line. There are usually far fewer people in that line, so it moves a lot faster! If in doubt as to the location of the line, just ask one of the CMs in the check-in area of the port building. There are a number 'directing traffic' for the lines.

If this is your first DCL cruise, be prepared to have your ship's i.d. photo taken by the CM who checks you in. (You may want to comb your hair before the photo)!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

In years past, non US couldn't check in at the welcome center at MCO. However, this spring, there was a "non-US" line and counter designated there. Since I didn't use it, I can't tell you whether it was a full check in or just a document review, but it looked like full check in.

SO, my thinking is that you CAN check in at the Welcome center, but this could be wrong.

If you can't, there is a "non US" line at the terminal which usually has no people in it!

At disembarkation, there is a separate "Non-US" line which moves MUCH faster than the US line. The only other thing I know is that international flights can't do the on board check in.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
iamadisneynut
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaulson
I read somewhere today that Canadians are being offered 25% Canadian resident rate...don't remember where I saw it tho But it was restricted...I think out of Miami and for Bahama cruises? Could be wrong tho...
It's the Miami sailings from Jan 5 to Feb 2 I believe!

iamadisneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaulson View Post
oh I wish! That is only for cruises leaving from Miami in January I believe! It was offered after we bought our flights.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
In years past, non US couldn't check in at the welcome center at MCO. However, this spring, there was a "non-US" line and counter designated there. Since I didn't use it, I can't tell you whether it was a full check in or just a document review, but it looked like full check in.

SO, my thinking is that you CAN check in at the Welcome center, but this could be wrong.

If you can't, there is a "non US" line at the terminal which usually has no people in it!

At disembarkation, there is a separate "Non-US" line which moves MUCH faster than the US line. The only other thing I know is that international flights can't do the on board check in.
Yeah, we are flying in and out of Buffalo. Its only just over an hour from my house. And the flights are over half the price (Its takes an hour to drive to the TOronto airport anyway...may as well cross the boarder!)

on our Royal cruise, that's what they told us and we decided we would never fly out of an "international" airport after a cruise again. The airport was a disaster that time.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
Wazzo
Is in need of a No Way Jose!
Just the unput I was looking for
I'm the undecided party

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

Oh, I hope this is true! Hopefully someone can confirm this soon!
Wazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomy-san View Post
Yeah, we are going in January. We are fully expecting that. That won't be fun. Hopefully the memories of the trip will keep us warm!

and i hope that info is right too, but at least I know not to expect it to be right, just HOPE! I'm ok with that. I would have been a little upset to find that out at the airport when I got there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: